• Nov 14th, 2019 12:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4519 posts
1442 upvotes
Toronto

Why do people hate the Epic Game Store?

Can anyone explain the absolute hatred that people are having for this store?

Sure, the timed exclusives are probably annoying, but aside from having to install another launcher, what are the other downsides? From what I can tell, they're offering a bigger cut of the profits than Steam is giving (30% vs 12% from what I've read) – shouldn't that be a good incentive for supporting this store, since more money goes to the publishers/developers of these games?

Is it just a convenience thing for people? Or is there a valid reason why so many are willing to boycott a game until it launches on Steam?

I stopped playing PC games in the mid 2000s so I'm genuinely interested but I don't foresee myself owning a high-end PC at all in the foreseeable future.
Last edited by M1GOmigs on Apr 8th, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
33 replies
Aug 21, 2011
847 posts
229 upvotes
To name a few, fewer features (like leaving reviews), having to add friends on yet another service, lacking in return policy, questionable security, questionable privacy, having to split up your game library between even more services and its questionable how long this store/service will exist.
Not to mention privacy concerns are further heightened by tencent, their investment and their directors on Epic's board.

To be fair, some of the privacy concerns were unfound as a few people trying to investigate didn't have a clue what they were looking at and raised more of a panic. That being said I don't believe such concerns are completely unfound.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1839 posts
486 upvotes
toronto
I uninstalled epic game store when I heard about their shady data-mine practices and packets going to some wierd ip in china. Not that im much of a power-user in terms of purchasing online-games.

let them build something good and worth using then they can earn people's trust. I dont like steam with the increasing censorship as well but its one of the evils im willing to live with for now.
think first, buy later.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8721 posts
3087 upvotes
It is somewhat inconvenient on PC because some games are exclusive to Steam, EA Origin, Ubisoft's Uplay and now Epic Games' store.

M1GOmigs wrote: Can anyone explain the absolute hatred that people are having for this store?

Sure, the timed exclusives are probably annoying, but aside from having to install another launcher, what are the other downsides? From what I can tell, they're offering a bigger cut of the profits than Steam is giving (30% vs 12% from what I've read) – shouldn't that be a good incentive for supporting this store, since more money goes to the publishers/developers of these games?

Is it just a convenience thing for people? Or is there a valid reason why so many are willing to boycott a game until it launches on Steam?

I stopped playing PC games in the mid 2000s so I'm genuinely interested but I don't foresee myself owning a high-end PC at all in the foreseeable future.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8007 posts
4630 upvotes
Toronto
The main downside is that it's an underdeveloped platform missing a long list of features other platforms have had for years. Because of that no one in their right mind would ever pay the same prices for games on Epic that they would on any other feature complete launcher but rather than improving the platform to make it appealing to use Epic chose to force people to use it in it's underdeveloped state by throwing money at publishers for exclusivity. It's a terrible business practice that goes against the competitive culture that makes PC gaming appealing in the first place.

Look at Uplay and Origin on the other hand. People hated those at first too but EA and Ubisoft actually put in work improving those platforms and turned them into something people want to use by adding features, hosting good deals, and making good games rather than forcing us to use them by holding third party games hostage. Uplay and Origin aren't even as feature rich as Steam but use either one for a bit and it'll really put into perspective how bad Epic is.
Aug 20, 2009
8013 posts
2945 upvotes
Grimsby
Hate is a pretty strong word. For me its more like mild annoyance. It's a terrible platform from a feature perspective and also has a wealth of security problems. I've personally had over 100 emails from them complaining about "unauthorized account access". I use 2FA, 15 character mixed letter/no/symbol password that is uniquely generated and they still end up locking my account once in awhile because of some intrusion that is clearly happening on their end. This is an account I used once or twice for Fortnite then never again and I've tried changing the password several times.

People seem to have forgotten that Epic largely abandoned the PC market in the 360/PS3 era and they have a number of anti-consumer stances that are starkly contrasted against Steam/GOG. Their offering of a smaller percentage of revenue (12% vs 30%) is disingenuous, 30% is the industry standard across retail and digital distribution. It's also very difficult for them to maintain that in the long run and still manage to offer core services and build out the platform like Valve did with Steam. They are swimming in Fortnite money right now which is why they are able to do it. Epic is very ruthless and savvy, they know the Fortnite days will end and they are trying to set themselves up. Publishers will cut and run to their own little silos the second Epic stops writing cheques too, Ubisoft already said how happy they were with Division 2 preorders on uPlay and that they want to focus on their own platform going forward like EA has done with Origin. Frankly as a user I'm starting to get annoyed at the number of silos now - GOG, Steam, uPlay, Origin, EGS, etc etc. Every time I want to play a game on one of these things I need to fire it up, let it update itself, let it update the game and so on before I can even play. Or just leave a growing number of clients running 24/7. It's like sitting down after a long day to finally game and seeing a PS4 firmware update.

I don't think competition with Steam is a bad thing at all but just the way Epic is going about it is bizarre. Free games? Smart. Exclusives? Bad PR. Shitty client? Bad. No one expects feature parity on day one but its truly awful right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3087 posts
590 upvotes
Ottawa
I for one really don't care about most of the features Epic is supposedly missing. But I probably wouldn't have the launcher at all if it wasn't for their current giveaways; I probably wouldn't have EA Origin if they hadn't had giveaways either. (Not that it's likely that I'll soon play any of these games they are giving away, but at least I'm not spending money for them on Steam.)
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2245 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: cut of the profits than Steam is giving (30% vs 12% from what I've read) – shouldn't that be a good incentive for supporting this store, since more money goes to the publishers/developers of these games?
That gets bandied around a lot and while I do like the idea of devs/publishers getting a bigger cut, as a consumer there's been absolutely no benefit to me with what Epic is doing. Bigger profits for them, but the games are still priced the same for buyer, so why would I support the store when all it's really doing is inconveniencing me by holding games hostage? Personally I don't really buy the whole install extra launcher/Tencent spies nonsense-it's one extra click and if you're worried about spying, Facebook and all social media would like to have a word.

Bottom line, show me a big sale or Epic willing to cut down on prices, and you'll have my business. Otherwise no sale.

Slightly off topic, but pc gaming is really where it's at, imo. You should try it. The upfront investment is pretty daunting, but what you spend there you get back in bells and whistles for arguably the best version of the product, and all the money you end up saving on huge sales throughout the year. Plus I like the idea that the stuff I buy doesn't just get thrown out with each new generation of hardware.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4519 posts
1442 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote: Slightly off topic, but pc gaming is really where it's at, imo. You should try it. The upfront investment is pretty daunting, but what you spend there you get back in bells and whistles for arguably the best version of the product, and all the money you end up saving on huge sales throughout the year. Plus I like the idea that the stuff I buy doesn't just get thrown out with each new generation of hardware.
TBH I was a huge PC gamer in my younger years, since grade school til early university, from 386s to Pentiums/AMDs, integrated graphics to GeForce/early NVidia stuff... I would love to get back into it, but right now I just don't have the time, physical space and initial capital to invest in a PC that I'll want to upgrade every 2-3 years. I owned a PS4, I currently own an XBox One X, and it does what I need it to do... I haven't had any issues trading in or selling my old stuff since I'm generally an early adopter anyway, when the old stuff still holds some value.

A lot of my friends are in the same boat - 30something working, married guys, many of us with kids. Whatever time I do have, I just want to jump in front of the TV and play something for a couple hours that I enjoy. I've learned to deprioritize graphical fidelity for gameplay, and now I'm more about prioritizing comfort over competition.

All that to say, I still keep up with PC news when I can, it still interests me, but I'll probably stick to consoles for the foreseeable future. I do have a Steam account, and I'll play a small game on my old laptop or Surface Pro, but that's about the extent of my PC gaming. Space and place play a factor too, and I always feel a bit weird gaming on the dining table because we don't have a dedicated space for a work desk in our home...
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3087 posts
590 upvotes
Ottawa
M1GOmigs wrote: I just don't have the time, physical space and initial capital to invest in a PC that I'll want to upgrade every 2-3 years.
Plenty of games will run quite nicely even on a PC that is several years old. And many of them will cost far less than they would on a console. (Though if you're restricting yourself to laptops, then that probably doesn't apply.)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19243 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto
Steam is already bad enough, I don't trust any of these other publishers (EA, Ubisoft, Epic) and the garbage they install on my PC to mine through my files and send them off to who knows where. This is especially bad when a Chinese company holds influence over an American developer. Don't ever trust Chinese software, or any software company associated with them.

GOG is the only service I use besides Steam.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4519 posts
1442 upvotes
Toronto
Jorpho wrote: Plenty of games will run quite nicely even on a PC that is several years old. And many of them will cost far less than they would on a console. (Though if you're restricting yourself to laptops, then that probably doesn't apply.)
Yeah, I literally have no place to put a desk + PC in my home, so I'm restricted to laptops. Some people have suggested that I play PC games on my living room TV, but those people have never had to contend with a toddler and an infant who are very curious about stuff Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes...
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3209 posts
1764 upvotes
Burlington
Because people on the internet told me to.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)