• Jul 25th, 2011 8:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 21, 2005
87 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

why do people wage bash others

seriously, something is wrong with the general public. many times i read articles about certain industries, public and private, and comments are always relevant to "these people are overpaid" or "they make big money for little work". its seriously sickening that the mentality of people these days is that if we cant have it why should others have it. seriously, shouldnt u be happy that a fellow citizen has a well paying job? i know guys that work for ttc, i could care less about how they are compensated, however if im not happy with my compensation, i take care of it with my own employer. as for who is more deserving of more money, its not what profession that you think should be paid more, its what the market values your contribution. if people are complaining that truck drivers make more than teachers, thats because society needs that service more than teachers. i just find it funny how people criticize others pay because they deem it not worthy. i think if the trend continues, we'll all just be working for lower and lower wages and salaries, and more complaining will arise.
19 replies
Nov 11, 2008
59 posts
4 upvotes
Personally, I believe it's perfectly acceptable to comment on wages paid in the public sector. It's our money that's being spent to pay these individuals, and as such people should be upset when public wages get out of hand. I agree though that there is no reason to complain about private sector wages.
Mar 9, 2008
740 posts
86 upvotes
Winnipeg
Because people can't view what certain people from the private sector are paid. It's not public information.

I'm sure that if this kind of information was easily accessible, there would be a political battle...

Anyways, private sector employees far out earn public sector ones.

Proof? A CA accountant is going to get paid far less in the public sector than the private sector. Same can be said about a lawyer.

Nursing and health care aside...(which really shouldn't be judged. If anything, we don't pay nurses and doctors ENOUGH money for the services they provide)
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2009
1020 posts
284 upvotes
TheOneDealer wrote: its seriously sickening that the mentality of people these days is that if we cant have it why should others have it. seriously, shouldnt u be happy that a fellow citizen has a well paying job? i know guys that work for ttc, i could care less about how they are compensated, however if im not happy with my compensation, i take care of it with my own employer.

What if you were a single parent who worked at McDonald's/Tim Hortons for $12(?)/hour? You are working hard paying taxes so a fare collector can make I don't even wanna know how much an hour.

Now the fare collector isn't happy with his wages so he threatens to go on strike. Single parent now doesn't know how she's getting to work to her poor paying job and would take the fare collector's job for less pay in a heart beat if she could. This is a failure of public policy.

Now I know lots of TTC employees who work very hard and I'm not bitter about the money they make (I'm bitter at the union), but a little more empathy would help you understand why those less fortunate aren't exactly jumping for joy that their 'fellow citizens' are better off.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
3698 posts
119 upvotes
Something is wrong with the general public having an opinion?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
TheOneDealer wrote: seriously, something is wrong with the general public. many times i read articles about certain industries, public and private, and comments are always relevant to "these people are overpaid" or "they make big money for little work". its seriously sickening that the mentality of people these days is that if we cant have it why should others have it. seriously, shouldnt u be happy that a fellow citizen has a well paying job? i know guys that work for ttc, i could care less about how they are compensated, however if im not happy with my compensation, i take care of it with my own employer. as for who is more deserving of more money, its not what profession that you think should be paid more, its what the market values your contribution. if people are complaining that truck drivers make more than teachers, thats because society needs that service more than teachers. i just find it funny how people criticize others pay because they deem it not worthy. i think if the trend continues, we'll all just be working for lower and lower wages and salaries, and more complaining will arise.

You're sorely mistaken if you believe that people bash public workers because they make less.
You don't seem to understand that the market DOESN'T dictate the wages of gov't workers. The gov't sets it and that's that.

Example: All those postal workers who went on strike. The majority of them are easily replaceable for the original wage. Union reps encourage strikes for higher wages because that means a higher cut for them, but the fact is they did not deserve what they were asking for.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5305 posts
1697 upvotes
OP rant fail .......
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1145 posts
305 upvotes
4seasonscentre wrote: What if you were a single parent who worked at McDonald's/Tim Hortons for $12(?)/hour? You are working hard paying taxes so a fare collector can make I don't even wanna know how much an hour.

Your analogy sucks.

Perhaps the single parent should switch jobs and work as a fare collector then? Or should we all be paid at $10 or whatever the minimum wage is in the name of "fairness"?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5359 posts
1595 upvotes
Why bash other people's wage? If you've noticed, the people that get bashed are public employees. I don't care how much private sector employees get paid. I do care about public sector compensation because it's coming from my tax dollars and it's one of the primary factors our taxes keep going up. A better question is "How can I not care?"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5305 posts
1697 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote: Why bash other people's wage? If you've noticed, the people that get bashed are public employees. I don't care how much private sector employees get paid. I do care about public sector compensation because it's coming from my tax dollars and it's one of the primary factors our taxes keep going up. A better question is "How can I not care?"

If these forums are any indicator, engineers get really sore when they hear about people in finance making more than them ..... something about value creation :lol:
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Sep 9, 2009
324 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
I was going to rip OPs argument apart, but it's just not worth the effort.

OP you have very little understanding of economics so I suggest you read up prior to ranting online in the future.
Oct 20, 2010
492 posts
194 upvotes
Austin, TX
TodayHello wrote: If these forums are any indicator, engineers get really sore when they hear about people in finance making more than them ..... something about value creation :lol:

Yes, and they shouldn't, especially when contrasting at least the average workweeks of both industries. And if these whiners work for the public sector, they deserve to get b****-slapped at least, or fired at worst.

Determined engineers who want to venture into finance often have no issues jumping ship with careful planning.

As for the OP, I'll just say the public sector, especially the federal government, is long overdue for a major internal house cleaning. If my tax dollars are being used to pay a gov't pen pusher 60K a year so he/she can surf Facebook, YouTube, etc., for 3 hours out of a 7.5 hour shift, I will want to know about it.
The sea is behind you and the enemy is in front. — Tariq ibn Ziyad
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5359 posts
1595 upvotes
To add, I think a lot of people feel hard work automatically should lead to good pay. There was a study done that said something about how every one feels they drive better than average. It's the same mentality that leads to wage bash. Most people (myself included) will feel that they work harder than others at some point. Aside from this, yeah we have a serious problem with public sector wages.
Nov 27, 2004
991 posts
90 upvotes
KennethToronto wrote: Your analogy sucks.

Perhaps the single parent should switch jobs and work as a fare collector then? Or should we all be paid at $10 or whatever the minimum wage is in the name of "fairness"?

how i see it is if your not happy with your wage, go do something about it rather than sit back and complain. sure we do not want to pay a pen pusher top wages to surf fb, but we also got to ask how did this pen pusher get to where he/she is? he/she most likely got up off the couch and made it happen....unless you got a mommy and daddy who gave you everything which is another rant :D
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37165 posts
5166 upvotes
Winnipeg
FretPlay wrote: Personally, I believe it's perfectly acceptable to comment on wages paid in the public sector. It's our money that's being spent to pay these individuals, and as such people should be upset when public wages get out of hand. I agree though that there is no reason to complain about private sector wages.
I complain about the wall street billion dollar bonus all the time.
WTB amazon gc @90%
[OP]
Jun 21, 2005
87 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
don't get me wrong, im not defending the the unions or what not. it is true that they hold services such as mail and buses as hostage to their demands. im just saying is that there is a reason why people are where they are. so what if your a single mom with a tim hortons job, its not society's fault that you were in that situation. i just think that if you arent happy with what your getting, go find another job, or go back and get training so you can get that better job. dont tell me you have too many financial commitments or a family to support, there is ways. first off, if your too much in debt lol to you, second, if you have a family to support, decides whats more important, money or family, but to go and attack the salaries of other jobs is kinda childish. im not complaining about educated opinions on this matter, just about the people who get on the bus and say "hope you [email protected]#$ drivers dont get another raise this year".
Jul 5, 2006
811 posts
65 upvotes
I can sum it up in one word: Jealousy

Although for some people it's not that but instead bitterness, resentment, outrage, etc. But the morons who get on the bus and yell at bus drivers are typically just jealous, they'd trade in their job for that one if they could.
Nov 30, 2007
519 posts
86 upvotes
North York
TheOneDealer wrote: seriously, something is wrong with the general public. many times i read articles about certain industries, public and private, and comments are always relevant to "these people are overpaid" or "they make big money for little work". its seriously sickening that the mentality of people these days is that if we cant have it why should others have it. seriously, shouldnt u be happy that a fellow citizen has a well paying job?.

HE'S ONE OF THEM!!! LET'S WAGE BASH HIM!!!! :razz:

Anyway all these are just stupid arguments because someone is jealous like a preschool kid. "Well how come he gets this and I don't???? WAAAH I am gonna go complain to my mommy". You also cant fail out of highschool, work at McD's and then ***** about someone getting paid for being an engineer in the same way that I can't complain that I am not making the kind of money a neurosurgeon is making. People should just spend the time to upgrade their skills and stop bitching.

In any case, this is pointless. If you are a doctor, my healthcare costs more, I have to pay more taxes. If you are a farmer, my groceries cost more. If you are a TTC dude, I have to pay higher fare, if you are a construction worker, I have to pay higher fees for buying a house, if you work at mcdonalds, I have to pay more for mcd's, .... if you work in public sector, yea, they have to get paid to...

Everyone is rewarded for their ability. If anyone thinks public sector jobs are so great, go get a job in the public sector, jeez...
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
aaaaaa wrote: I can sum it up in one word: Jealousy

Although for some people it's not that but instead bitterness, resentment, outrage, etc. But the morons who get on the bus and yell at bus drivers are typically just jealous, they'd trade in their job for that one if they could.

You realize that many sought-after professionals make more than public sector employees and could easily get one if they desired right?

The problem isn't that public sector employees have a better job. The problem is that many of them work 1/4th as hard or has 1/4th the ability but still gets 1/2 the pay. Obviously this is an exaggeration, but it sufficiently illustrates the point.

When I walk into a post office and have to wait 10 minutes because worker is talking on the phone about trivial personal issues like a personal trip, how do you expect me to be happy with how my tax dollars are being spent? I pay enough taxes to support a family so it's only natural for me to compare tax paid vs value received.
Banned
Mar 4, 2009
4833 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
We pay the taxes that fund the public service. Hence, we have the right and responsibility to make sure those tax dollars are being well spent. Overpaying public sector employees is inexcusable because it comes at the expense of my hard-earned dollars.