Automotive

Why do so many bad drivers have luxury cars? A new study blames ‘disagreeable’ men

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2020 6:34 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
7660 posts
2555 upvotes
Mississauga
Right off the bat, their definition of bad drivers isn't all encompassing.

Throw the study out of the window.

If only breaking traffic rules was all that determined a bad driver, people wouldn't fear driving in Brampton, and the highest claims cost wouldn't be paid out in Brampton.
Jul 12, 2013
139 posts
79 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…
This reminded me of why pregnant women started to see pregnant women everywhere...

Quote:

“When something is on your mind, you start to notice it more than you did before,” says Nicholas Rule, an associate professor of psychology at the University of Toronto and Canada Research Chair in Social Perception and Cognition. “You’re unconsciously looking for it and you hadn’t been before.”

This is known as the frequency illusion, or the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, and it occurs through two psychological processes: selective attention and confirmation bias."
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12849 posts
3229 upvotes
Montréal
Talk about confirmation bias. Since we're all going w our prejudices, from personal experience I'd say VW drivers (mainly Jettas? Passats? The sedan ones) think they are hot crap, maybe cuz they think they just 'made it' into the Germans? Really bizarre. I've encountered some really annoying pcs driving those. Ofc, the stereotypical pickup trucks, driving like bats out of hell. I've noticed many more bad drivers in mundane vehicles tbh.

The study and even my 2cs don't mean much, ppl are mainly just crap, period, regardless of vehicle or location. If one could get rid of all the ultra-aggressive roadraging drivers the world would definitely be a much better place.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Dec 14, 2007
955 posts
374 upvotes
You think they drive aggressive but they are only driving their cars at 10% of capabilities.

Bad drives are everywhere. They are in cars at all price points.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1350 posts
976 upvotes
GTA West
CanadianLurker wrote: There’s is a bit of a correlation to a somewhat related study I saw from several years back (searches but couldn’t find it).

In it, researchers staked out busy parking lots at malls and such and observed what happened with waiting times. They tracked when a vehicle pulled up in the aisle to wait for somebody who just got to their vehicle in order to leave the spot.

The study found that people with more prestigious vehicles too their sweet time to leave even though they knew somebody was waiting for their spot in a busy lot. People with mainstream vehicles left more quickly when someone was waiting.

On the flip side, when the vehicle waiting in the aisle was a prestigious vehicle they would more frequently abandon waiting and look for another spot, while a mainstream vehicle was more likely to wait it out for the parked vehicle to leave.

Some interesting parallels....
Parking - how about the luxury car folks who don't even look for a spot and just leave their car to block the driveway when they go into the store/office/etc.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52783 posts
17558 upvotes
Probably just wealth being a measuring stick of success in society.

Some become successful and remain modest. Some become aholes. Of course we only see those who act like aholes, thinking they are God's gift to humanity. If they think they are gift to mankind, they will gift themselves with nicer cars and toys in life.

There are also punks who act like aholes driving shitty cars but we don't notice them as much because we often think of them as losers. The wealthy we can't term losers from the materialistic standpoint

Then there are those fanatics, either EV or ICEV, who destroy the others groups' cars or block chargers or fuel pumps just because they feel like to.

It seems we only get united / along during the Olympics or some national sports event.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jan 31st, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1160 posts
1162 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
alanbrenton wrote: Probably just wealth being a measuring stick of success in society.

Some become successful and remain modest. Some become aholes. Of course we only see those who act like aholes, thinking they are God's gift to humanity. If they think they are gift to mankind, they will gift themselves with nicer cars and toys in life.

There are also punks who act like aholes driving shitty cars but we don't notice them as much because we often think of them as losers. The wealthy we can't term losers from the materialistic standpoint

Then there are those fanatics, either EV or ICEV, who destroy the others groups' cars or block chargers or fuel pumps just because they feel like to.

It seems we only get united during the Olympics or some national sport.
Yes and No.

Wealthy people don't drive fashy cars, high income earners do.

The car's purchase price is very closely linked to one's income.

But wealthy people get wealthy because they save and don't waste their money on a huge home and nice cars.

If you can keep your car payments to 10% of your net income and/or keep your car's value be 10% of your net worth, then you will become wealthy (over time). But for most folks who I help out, as soon as they land that high-paying job, they go out and buy a nice car/truck to validate themselves. It's very sad.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: XIC

It's really that simple.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52783 posts
17558 upvotes
TuxedoBlack wrote: Yes and No.

Wealthy people don't drive fashy cars, high income earners do.

The car's purchase price is very closely linked to one's income.

But wealthy people get wealthy because they save and don't waste their money on a huge home and nice cars.

If you can keep your car payments to 10% of your net income and/or keep your car's value be 10% of your net worth, then you will become wealthy (over time). But for most folks who I help out, as soon as they land that high-paying job, they go out and buy a nice car/truck to validate themselves. It's very sad.
You speak of professionals and SME owners and what you say is true about wealth accumulation but you are are missing the Uber rich business owners especially overseas whose $100-200k++ car purchases (heavy duties and taxes) no longer make a dent on their net worth of a few tens of millions. I actually know a few back home but I am definitely middle class.

For the Uber rich, they can wear or drive anything and not have to prove who they are. The world already knows. They brag in other ways I am sure haha.

Maybe I have the millionaire mindset though of not having to keep up with the Joneses and not attach my well-being to the cars I drive though the Accord was on Car and Driver Ten Best and still is. :)
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11657 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: You speak of professionals and SME owners and what you say is true about wealth accumulation but you are are missing the Uber rich business owners especially overseas whose $100-200k++ car purchases (heavy duties and taxes) no longer make a dent on their net worth of a few tens of millions. I actually know a few back home but I am definitely middle class.

For the Uber rich, they can wear or drive anything and not have to prove who they are. The world already knows. They brag in other ways I am sure haha.

Maybe I have the millionaire mindset though of not having to keep up with the Joneses and not attach my well-being to the cars I drive though the Accord was on Car and Driver Ten Best and still is. :)
I'd still drive an econobox even if were a millionaire. Driving a "fancy" car simply doesn't appeal to me.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
52783 posts
17558 upvotes
board123 wrote: I'd still drive an econobox even if were a millionaire. Driving a "fancy" car simply doesn't appeal to me.
Same here but maybe not an econobox since they've gone up in prices and I keep cars as long as they're practical so a $5-15k difference won't matter overall. But if I had $10m, maybe I will get something $100k brand new but will buy it used. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1160 posts
1162 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
board123 wrote: I'd still drive an econobox even if were a millionaire. Driving a "fancy" car simply doesn't appeal to me.
I will always keep an "econobox" or a "cheap" car. It's nice to be able to drive to Wal Mart and not be suspected of being the evil rich guy. LOL.

It's really that simple.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18011 posts
1945 upvotes
Woodbridge
MP3_SKY wrote: Bad drivers driving Luxury cars.......since when a Corolla became a Luxury car? :rolleyes:
That's gold!
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11657 posts
1351 upvotes
Toronto
TuxedoBlack wrote: I will always keep an "econobox" or a "cheap" car. It's nice to be able to drive to Wal Mart and not be suspected of being the evil rich guy. LOL.
That's the thing -- the richer I am, the more low key I'd try to be. Being seen driving around in a Lambo is the opposite of what I'd want.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1160 posts
1162 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
board123 wrote: That's the thing -- the richer I am, the more low key I'd try to be. Being seen driving around in a Lambo is the opposite of what I'd want.
I'd rather be seen driving a minivan than a Lambo. LOL.

It's really that simple.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1160 posts
952 upvotes
If it is someone 40-70 old range with a luxury car, they drive fine. Maybe a little too slow at times and some don't signal.

It's the younger guys driving mostly 5+ year old banged up German cars you have to watch out. They think they're hot shit and drive like garbage.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)