Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA

Why do we have last call at 2am?

Just saw on the news some cop got stabbed downtown at john and adelaide while he was trying to make an arrest for two groups fighting after the clubs were clearing out.

I find it stupid that that bars have last call at 2am. It was always fun to party till sunrise. If the bars weren't forced to close, there wouldn't be thousands of drunks flooding the streets at the same time and overwhelm the police.

And people would have more time to party and have fun.

Is the 2am last call law nation wide? I heard it doesn't exist in Montreal.
56 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah i'm curious as well why we have last call
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9645 posts
911 upvotes
Muskoka
It's the nanny state once again trying to protect you from yourself.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
2am pretty much everywhere except Montreal where it's 3am.
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
thelefteyeguy wrote: lol last call was 1am a few years ago...
In what country?

I know for the last 10 years it has been 2:00am. Your "few" must been over 10 years ago.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
Irb wrote: In what country?

I know for the last 10 years it has been 2:00am. Your "few" must been over 10 years ago.

i meant 10 yrs ago (how time flies)...im in my 30s now lol
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
thelefteyeguy wrote: i meant 10 yrs ago (how time flies)...im in my 30s now lol
Not that much older than me. But yeah you are old. :razz:
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Last call does not mean you have to leave.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
liquor sales end at 2am. i am not sure what that time is for other provinces, but whatever time your liquor sales are permitted, thats the time everyone must stop selling it. so therefore if it is 2am, they give last call to anyone who would like to purchase.

it doesnt mean you have to stop drinking at 2am, but there are no places that can leagally sell you liquor after that.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
its actually a clever idea to stop being from being drunk and crazy to late @ night...
almost like your parents telling you "no TV after 10pm!!!"

What they dont realize is that... Instead all the people are gonna be drunk and leaving the club @ exactly around 2am.
Puts a bit of strain on the entertainment and service industry considering alcohol is such a big seller.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
actng wrote: Just saw on the news some cop got stabbed downtown at john and adelaide while he was trying to make an arrest for two groups fighting after the clubs were clearing out.

I find it stupid that that bars have last call at 2am. It was always fun to party till sunrise. If the bars weren't forced to close, there wouldn't be thousands of drunks flooding the streets at the same time and overwhelm the police.

And people would have more time to party and have fun.

Is the 2am last call law nation wide? I heard it doesn't exist in Montreal.
I'd rather have the drunks try to drive home at 2am when the streets are fairly empty than have them drink till 6am and then drive home during morning traffic.

Face it, most people can't handle their booze, they become idiots..and I say, treat them like idiots, put them in jail, let them become someone's 'little girl' for 30 days and fine them with big dollar amounts... I think it would fix most people.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
That's right rc51....

Probably before the law was put out people couldnt handle it and get really out of hand and getting drunk at the week hours of the early morning and driving out there.

You still get cops roaming around places when the bars close for spot-check to see whether the drivers are drunk or not.

In hong kong they have no such law and when i was there a couple years ago I drank with some friends til the wee morning of 6am. The only reason we stopped cuz it was christmas day and the bar had to close since it was the 25th LOL

Who wants to get drunk for hours on end anyways???
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2039 posts
4 upvotes
lol dont remind me. drinking till morning in HK got me so sick last time I went back (a few years ago)

:lol:
Sep 26, 2006
638 posts
50 upvotes
Rocky Mountains
rc51 wrote: I'd rather have the drunks try to drive home at 2am when the streets are fairly empty than have them drink till 6am and then drive home during morning traffic.
There is no morning traffic downtown on the weekends at 6am, and who drinks and drives?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
bluedcfive wrote: There is no morning traffic downtown on the weekends at 6am, and who drinks and drives?
um... downtown is not the only place you can go for drinks..and weekends is not the only days of the week where people can drink.

and who drink and drives? people :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3593 posts
379 upvotes
Richmond
It's 3am in Vancouver :)
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
bluedcfive wrote: There is no morning traffic downtown on the weekends at 6am, and who drinks and drives?
Who said anything about weekends.... ?? I remember bars in Wpg offering an 'all you can drink' wrist band for something like $25 on 'weekdays' to promote business.... at the least the city stepped in and banned that practise.

You'd be suprised who drinks and drives.... I think the last numbers they say 70% of drivers after 2am are considered 'impaired' in one form or another.
Sep 1, 2006
340 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
It's 3 am in the province of Quebec too. More and more afterhours open now though.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17117 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
Let me apologize first for this post cuz I don't want to seem like I'm baiting you guys to post and then flaming you.

But last call is usually at 1:45 am so that the drinks get served by 2am. After 2am, it's not simply no more drinks serving... it's no more open alcohol containers (like beer bottles). I know several clubs that got nailed for this and lost their liquor license for Victoria Day Weekend (Honest Lawyers Richmond Hill Beaver Creek). That's also why karaoke comes in and pours all your beer bottles into cups and jugs.

The other thing that's miscommunicated in this thread is that a lot of clubs SHUT DOWN at 3am, meaning they kick you out. It makes sense from the operator's point of view. If they aren't allowed to sell booze after 2am, then what's the point of keeping a bunch of drunks around.

This is the reason why you have a flood of drunks pouring into the streets between 2 and 3am, starting fights and making cops earn their money.

My point is that if they didn't have last call at 2am, but maybe 4am or 6am, then you'll see a more staggered wave of people exiting the clubs. Most people aren't hardcore enough to party till 6am.

Whoever said driving home drunk at 2am is better than 6am because of traffic has flawed logic. The premise of my statement very clearly states that there is an OVERWHELMING number of people leaving, DRUNK, at the same time. If people drink till 6am and drive home drunk at 6am, there're actually LESS cars on the road at 6am.

And for the record - people who "drink" till 6am in HK - they aren't really drinking. They're just too drunk to go home and they nurse that shot of tequila from 2am to 6am.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)