Why does my car's trunk smell like gas? HYUNDAI SONATA

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 2:08 pm
[OP]
Jul 18, 2011
28 posts
4 upvotes

Why does my car's trunk smell like gas? HYUNDAI SONATA

Recently I have noticed couple of times after driving, the car trunk smells like gas (2 or 3 times i have tried taking grocery or other stuff out from car trunk after shopping).

Car is Hyundai Sonata.

What could be the reason?

Thanks for checking out this post.
10 replies
[OP]
Jul 18, 2011
28 posts
4 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: evap canister is defective.
WOw - such a precised response.

Liked your reply.

I will go to mechanic by the weekend and get it fixed.

Forgot to mention - CHECK ENGINE light comes ON amber as well. No smell in car, only in truck after good drive.

Thanks much Peter :)

EDIT - any idea how much that should cost to fix approximately?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5023 posts
2652 upvotes
Toronto
Torontorian wrote: WOw - such a precised response.

Liked your reply.

Forgot to mention - CHECK ENGINE light comes ON amber as well. No smell in car, only in truck after good drive.

It could be various of things. There could be a hole in the fuel line or bunch of other stuff. Without you giving more info or troubleshooting, just saying the most possible cause of fuel fume problem. How is your milage recently? Be sure to not demand the above unless the tech fully diagnosed your car.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6195 posts
1860 upvotes
BC
The check engine light will help to confirm what the problem is, but mechanic will need to do some checking.

The fault code is unlikely to point directly to the canister. More likely it will indicate a misfire on one or more cylinders.

Outside chance that there is an ignition problem, such as failing spark plug, or ignition coil, and this is causing unburnt fuel to exit the tailpipe and fumes are seeping into the trunk.
This would be the best outcome as it is maintenance which you would be having to do routinely, as opposed to an isolated repair. Maybe a couple of hundred dollars.

If it's the EVAP canister, think more like $500.
But canister shouldn't need replacing unless when fuelling up you are in the habit of topping off the tank after the initial shutoff (overfilling the tank).
Or maybe the purge valve or solenoid (that introduces air into the EVAP system) failed first, then that would have to be replaced as well (add another hundred or so).

So to look after your best interests, your mechanic needs to do some careful sleuthing as opposed to just slapping in a new canister, and that takes time/money unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1289 posts
825 upvotes
Etobicoke
Torontorian wrote: WOw - such a precised response.

Liked your reply.

Forgot to tell us about the check engine light? I don't know why some people are so blazae about the check engine light. it's a check engine light...not a check it when you have time 6 months down the road if you are not busy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6195 posts
1860 upvotes
BC
peteryorkuca wrote: It could be various of things. There could be a hole in the fuel line or bunch of other stuff. Without you giving more info or troubleshooting, just saying the most possible cause of fuel fume problem. How is your milage recently? Be sure to not demand the above unless the tech fully diagnosed your car.
I think the Check Engine Light being on suggests something more than a leak, although granted that could be coincidental.
But also a leak would cause a smell generally around the car and not just in the trunk.

We agree that OP should ask for mechanic to check things and not directly instruct him to just replace the canister.
Jul 29, 2019
218 posts
166 upvotes
Most owner's manuals have said to remove the fuel cap and then put it back on if the check engine light turns on. They want to make sure the fuel cap is closed properly. Give it a few days and if the check engine light persists, go to a mechanic.
Oct 15, 2005
185 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Have the CEL checked, a EVAP system failure is usually accompanied by a CEL.
Oct 4, 2010
534 posts
192 upvotes
Surrey
it would also be nice to put down year/trim of your Sonata.