Why does Sienna lag behind the Odysey?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2019 9:40 am
[OP]
Aug 21, 2014
595 posts
142 upvotes

Why does Sienna lag behind the Odysey?

Seems every reviews I read recommends the Honda.

How can this be? Toyota does not improvise its van over the years?
35 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3593 posts
4951 upvotes
Canada
jetsfan69 wrote: Seems every reviews I read recommends the Honda.

Toyota hasn't redesigned it in ten years. Odyssey was done in 2018.

Hopefully there will be a new redesigned Sienna for 2021 but they could also just continue on or discontinue it because minivan sales are tanking hard.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4518 upvotes
Alberta
And yet the Toyota is still a really good van. The Odyssey, even though it gets an update has way too many quality issues from what I have seen at the dealer. Trim, interior and exterior panel misalignment, VCM engine and lousy paint, stupid push button shifting etc. Plus the last 2 generation Odyssey's are uglier than ch!t. Honda quality is not what it used to be, read about all the problems on the Odyclub website.
Aug 17, 2018
742 posts
510 upvotes
So many updates to the Odyssey yet it still hugs the ground and doesn't have an AWD option. Toyota keeps the same formula, Honda is still trying to find their's
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4518 upvotes
Alberta
AWD? Yeah right, Honda has a history of making a POS transmission, never mind making an AWD Odyssey.
Feb 2, 2018
414 posts
385 upvotes
Montreal
95thRiflesOCI wrote: So many updates to the Odyssey yet it still hugs the ground and doesn't have an AWD option. Toyota keeps the same formula, Honda is still trying to find their's
Euuhh, that's what makes a van a van. If you want clearance and awd, plenty of options out there. They're just called CUVs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6748 posts
5509 upvotes

I got a feeling we will see a new Tundra/Sequoia and Tacoma before you will see a new Sienna.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20815 posts
4930 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Xtrema wrote: I got a feeling we will see a new Tundra/Sequoia and Tacoma before you will see a new Sienna.
The next Sienna will be out for the 2021 model year and most likely be revealed at the LA Auto Show later this year.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29363 posts
9947 upvotes

So you're saying that Honda improvises? Or that you want Toyota to improvise? Not sure what you're saying here but either way, improvising doesn't sound like something anyone wants to hear a car maker doing (whether or not they do it).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6901 posts
3162 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Most reviewer like the handling [lower to ground] aspects of Ody over Sienna. But Sienna no slouch and you're not drag racing when buying a minivan.

Both have more then enough power and space.

IMHO there are no great minivans made anymore. The current gen Sienna probably best from Ody , Grand Caravan, Pacifica, VW badged Chrysler, Sedona.

Think the last great minivan was Ody two gens ago; like 2010.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
15063 posts
4001 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If Toyota brought over the Alphard, it would be the king of minivans.
Spending too much money thanks to RFD
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4518 upvotes
Alberta
georvu wrote: Most reviewer like the handling [lower to ground] aspects of Ody over Sienna. But Sienna no slouch and you're not drag racing when buying a minivan.

Both have more then enough power and space.

IMHO there are no great minivans made anymore. The current gen Sienna probably best from Ody , Grand Caravan, Pacifica, VW badged Chrysler, Sedona.

Think the last great minivan was Ody two gens ago; like 2010.
x2. The 3rd Generation 2005-2010 we're the best.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
I would also choose an Odyssey Honda over Sienna. Its smoother and comfy. But I bet the Sienna is more reliable.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12342 posts
6908 upvotes
Brampton
jackrabbit000 wrote: x2. The 3rd Generation 2005-2010 we're the best.
Except most of them died due to the rusting issue and oil bb urning issue in conjunction with the VCM.

You actually see more later 2nd gens around provided people got their transmission recalls done. The 3.5 was solid in that due to a lack of VCM and no rusting issues.

At this point the Sienna is a full generation behind the Odyssey but still holds its own in a sagging segment. Toyota has very little plans to invest in a new van at least not until it's better selling products have moved to TNGA.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
I'd pick the sienna over the odyssey, any day!
the odyssey is just ugly to me.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16688 posts
15099 upvotes
Richmond Hill
akito925 wrote: I'd pick the sienna over the odyssey, any day!
the odyssey is just ugly to me.
The only good odyssey was the first generation!
Jan 12, 2006
551 posts
293 upvotes
Woodbridge
Owning a 2018 Odyessy Touring, i love my van but reliabilty, forget about it. It was rated in the top 10 most unreliable cars by consumers report.

In 1.5 years of ownership, so many problems with this thing including.
1. Grenading the 10 Speed Auto tranny (took over 2 months in the shop, car was only 5 months old with 12,000kms!)
2. Infotainment is feature filled but constant crashes (network connection lost, freeze, etc)
3. Sliding door issues - consistently not closing all the way.. UNtil the crappy recall where they wanted for months to disable the power sliding doors. My car again in the shop for a week to get the door fixed as it would not shut properly.
4. Unusual smell (told it was the leather in the car) but it always is there when you first get in

Despite that, i love the feautres in the car, and a huge upgrade over the 2016 Ody i had. I would still buy this car again over the Sienna, but man, honda really needs to fix this crap reliability!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9077 posts
10433 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Tell that Sienna reliability to my POS AWD 2011 Sienna with the rear vicious coupler (a known issue) failing at 100k (typical mileage failure). No coverage or goodwill by Toyota. Then failing o2 sensors at 8 years. Not to mention the cheap garbage plastic interior and the bulbous soft ride. I’ll take another gen 3 Odyssey (05-10) any day. I prefer the handling and solid feel to the Ody.

It’s like these companies know minivan buyers are captive to a small selection set and can just make trash. Pacifica? Please. Pricing on that is a joke.

These days I’d probably just as well keep cycling thru Dodge Caravans on CVP clear out sales and pitch them before 100k/5yrs. Brand loyalty is for suckers. Like being loyal to Bell or Rogers.
Jan 14, 2008
506 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: The only good odyssey was the first generation!
Are you referring to the 4 cylinder, 4 swing out door one, which made them go back to the drawing board for gen 2?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12342 posts
6908 upvotes
Brampton
gc99 wrote: Are you referring to the 4 cylinder, 4 swing out door one, which made them go back to the drawing board for gen 2?
There's only 1 gen 1. It's the one that was the VIP special 4 swing out doors and the 4 Cylinder. It was indeed the best Generation.
cartfan123 wrote: Tell that Sienna reliability to my POS AWD 2011 Sienna with the rear vicious coupler (a known issue) failing at 100k (typical mileage failure). No coverage or goodwill by Toyota. Then failing o2 sensors at 8 years. Not to mention the cheap garbage plastic interior and the bulbous soft ride. I’ll take another gen 3 Odyssey (05-10) any day. I prefer the handling and solid feel to the Ody.

It’s like these companies know minivan buyers are captive to a small selection set and can just make trash. Pacifica? Please. Pricing on that is a joke.

These days I’d probably just as well keep cycling thru Dodge Caravans on CVP clear out sales and pitch them before 100k/5yrs. Brand loyalty is for suckers. Like being loyal to Bell or Rogers.
At least with the VSC there's a tried and true way to prevent them from dying, every 40k KM you need to change the diff fluid and check the diff vent. Toyota's maint schedule is wrong dead wrong for the diff. IIRC for the Venza/Matrix or Rav4 they put Inspect the fluid every 40k or 60k. Never says Replace and even in the service documentation that dealers would have it does not have a replace recommendation. I understand the Parts may not be the same but the designs for the VSC are all similar they are all electromagnetic couplers and it's in use right now in the torque vectoring rear diff for the new Rav 4.

For The issues with the Odyssey they are all design and rush to market issues. The 10 speed speed, The VCM, the various issues with all the sliding doors over the years (So many revised parts to replace them with strong plastics or finally metal). Rusting issues with Gen 3.

TBH the Caravan is actually more reliable than the current Odyssey at this point. But no one on RFD will admit it or even bring that up(because Chrysler = Crap and it's true for the most part). The Caravan at this point is about 11 years old. When VW paired up with Chrysler to make the Routan, they actually did a significant amount of reengineering of the parts and suspension. Brakes were made bigger which was a very common issue(premature brake wear). They finally worked most of the bugs out of the Transmission, make sure it has the tow package on it and it's pretty solid.
The 3.6L Pentastar is for the most part a solid engine from Chrysler provided you didn't get one of those sand filled engines.
There's very little tech in the Caravan that's mission critical, it doesn't even have electric power steering.
As far as creature comforts go they can be optioned with the latest gadgets and still be cheaper than the Japanese options. Yes the interior materials may not feel as nice as a fully opted Sienna but that's basically a Lexus Minivan with out the Lexus badge.