• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 9:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1583 posts
243 upvotes

Why does water pool in my front yard?

This entire summer, everytime I mowed my lawn, it’s always been the same. (See pics) water pools and the soil gets really muddy and u can see the mower wheel marks.

I’m wondering why? The rock was there every year before and this never happened.
Images
  • 3586C4EC-7C7D-4687-B212-CB0E4E1D95A7.jpeg
  • 519D613B-CF60-48FE-BC25-917E608F8801.jpeg
25 replies
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
That is a low point in your grading?

This has been a Rainy summer?

Be glad the cactus that lived next to me isn't your neighbour - you'd have bylaw visits over that.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6094 posts
7514 upvotes
GTA
Has nothing to do with the rock. That part has to be a low spot. Maybe your entire front lawn needs to be graded. It's hard to tell but it looks like the lawn slopes to where the tire marks are deepest.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1583 posts
243 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: That is a low point in your grading?

This has been a Rainy summer?

Be glad the cactus that lived next to me isn't your neighbour - you'd have bylaw visits over that.
tew wrote: Has nothing to do with the rock. That part has to be a low spot. Maybe your entire front lawn needs to be graded. It's hard to tell but it looks like the lawn slopes to where the tire marks are deepest.

The grading looks fine tho… it looks like it slopes down to the sidewalk. I should mention the neighbour had trees in the middle (see pic) which they’ve cut off this summer.. there are big roots from the tree next to the rock. I wonder if removing the tree has anytnjng to do with it?

Also, I have sprinkler system, 20 min each session at 3am and 3pm daily.

Also, if I wanted to get rid of the big rock (it’s HEAVY AS SHIT) who can I contact?
Images
  • F471C79C-26A2-48C2-91B6-E200329A988C.png
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13097 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
Maybe you are watering to much in that area especially since you are doing it twice a day. Try to do it only once a day, & see if that helps
snipe2014 wrote: The grading looks fine tho… it looks like it slopes down to the sidewalk. I should mention the neighbour had trees in the middle (see pic) which they’ve cut off this summer.. there are big roots from the tree next to the rock. I wonder if removing the tree has anytnjng to do with it?

Also, if I wanted to get rid of the big rock (it’s HEAVY AS SHIT) who can I contact?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1937 posts
1183 upvotes
Check that you don't have a leak in your sprinkler system.

You could call for a Locate, and dig a giant hole and push the rock in...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1583 posts
243 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Maybe you are watering to much in that area especially since you are doing it twice a day. Try to do it only once a day, & see if that helps
bizzyseller wrote: Check that you don't have a leak in your sprinkler system.

You could call for a Locate, and dig a giant hole and push the rock in...
Can confirm there is no leak as the sprinklers are on the other side near the paver stones. Also the water bill has been similar each billing.

I am going to try to reduce the watering to once a day and see if it makes a difference.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
snipe2014 wrote: The grading looks fine tho… it looks like it slopes down to the sidewalk. I should mention the neighbour had trees in the middle (see pic) which they’ve cut off this summer.. there are big roots from the tree next to the rock. I wonder if removing the tree has anytnjng to do with it?

Pooling suggests a low spot despite the perception of grading being fine.
Sep 8, 2014
68 posts
57 upvotes
Oakville, ON
snipe2014 wrote: Also, I have sprinkler system, 20 min each session at 3am and 3pm daily.
You need to revisit your watering. Firstly, watering anything at 3pm is crazy since half the water will be lost to evaporation. Second, watering any established grass twice a day is crazy. You'll just encourage very shallow roots and poor drought resistance. Watering once or twice a week deeply will promote much healthier grass than a shallow watering very frequently.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26018 posts
10708 upvotes
Socially Distanced
With all the rain we get you don't need to water.
Might solve your problem as well as that is obviously a very wet lawn.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1583 posts
243 upvotes
Nomad2006 wrote: You need to revisit your watering. Firstly, watering anything at 3pm is crazy since half the water will be lost to evaporation. Second, watering any established grass twice a day is crazy. You'll just encourage very shallow roots and poor drought resistance. Watering once or twice a week deeply will promote much healthier grass than a shallow watering very frequently.
Reason why I put in the 3pm schedule is because I had obwr seeded last month.

Are u suggesting the grass should be watered once a week? Isn’t that very low watering
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6590 posts
6070 upvotes

Why on earth are you watering your lawn at 3pm? It's the worst time. Did you not learn about evaporation in school?

The answer to your question is simple - you're over watering. There is absolutely no need to be watering your lawn twice a day - at most you should be watering twice a week if you really must (I don't water my lawn at all - it's meant to go dormant in the summer). Have you checked with your city about watering restrictions? Most municipalities don't allow watering when levels are low.

Edit: also worst time to overseed :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2786 posts
1936 upvotes
Stop watering for 3-5 days. At this rate your soil has enough water.

Then see again after the 3rd-5th day if your water remains muddy. If yes there is a leak somewhere.
Nov 13, 2019
315 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: Why on earth are you watering your lawn at 3pm? It's the worst time. Did you not learn about evaporation in school?
Do you recommend watering in the morning or late afternoon / early evening?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7817 posts
6280 upvotes
Ottawa
No healthy lawn needs to be watered every day, let alone twice a day. About a half an inch of water each watering, two waterings a week, three in hotter weeks. So, depending on the flow rate of the sprinklers, 30 minutes to an hour two or three times a week.

Of course, many people also cut their grass too low. In hotter weather, letting it grow longer also helps.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9972 posts
4251 upvotes
Vaughan
Yeah, too much water from watering (twice a day). Cut back and let the soil soak up the water.
Last edited by teoconca on Aug 22nd, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 25, 2013
289 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
Terrible time to overseed and watering way too much
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8428 posts
5305 upvotes
Mississauga
timofeewho wrote: Do you recommend watering in the morning or late afternoon / early evening?
I’ve always watered in the early morning (6-7am). Watering in the evening leaves things wet overnight which encourages undesired things like fungal growth.
Nov 13, 2019
315 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: I’ve always watered in the early morning (6-7am). Watering in the evening leaves things wet overnight which encourages undesired things like fungal growth.
I see, what about when overseeding? Should I be watering more frequently per day? If so, when's the next best time?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Soil aeration and drainage which can be amended by various means easily.
Sometimes there may be hindrances beneath the soil also preventing the water from percolating.
The neighbors tree which is now cut down seems to have been getting rid of a lot of water before via it's own root uptake and transpiration etc.
Now that it's gone you have to be careful not to drown your grass by watering in addition to rainfall.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)