• Feb 26th, 2017 10:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2112 posts
2058 upvotes
Langley

Why are domestic flights so Expensive?

I live in Vancouver and have parents in Toronto.
I'm always on look out for cheap flight for TO.
I'm not going to go into details on how flying to Asia is always cheaper than flying TO.
But just now, I got a notification from YVRdeals(popular website for finding cheap flight out of Vancouver),
$385 to NY, stopping over at Toronto.
So I'm thinking.. ok, then going to TO only should be cheaper or pretty close right?

https://www.google.ca/flights/?gl=ca#se ... ZYVR0WS713
Westjet, Vancouver to TO to NY, $491 tax in

https://www.google.ca/flights/?gl=ca#se ... ZYVR0WS713
Same flight, same time, Vancouver to TO, minus NY, $823 tax in

does Airlines get some kind of kick backs from US for bring tourist into US or something?
I don't even....

http://www.yvrdeals.com/
WestJet has dropped the price of their 1-stop flights from Vancouver to New York City on various dates throughout 2017 down to $385 CAD roundtrip including taxes.
Availability for travel
March 2017 to January 2018
Last edited by Dreamrider on Feb 23rd, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3168 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
Expensive or expansive?

Although these are two different words that mean two different things, they are spelled very similarly, and I think that’s how the confusion creeps in. Having said that, even though the a and e are not next door to one another on the keyboard (I had to check that: I touch-type and most of the letters have worn off my keyboard through over-use), this one does come up fairly frequently.

Expensive means of high cost – either in monetary or some other terms. An expensive training course costs a lot, an expensive manoeuvre might cost the army dear in terms of people or equipment.

Expansive means covering a wide area, or extensive (although I don’t see extensive mixed up with expensive, which you would kind of expect!). It also means relaxed, communicative and genial, when used to describe a person. “The grounds of the castle are expansive”.

So you may have grounds which are both expansive, as in large, and expensive in terms of their cost of upkeep. But there’s going to be no more mixing up of the two words, now, is there?
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2112 posts
2058 upvotes
Langley
marc_t wrote: Expensive or expansive?

Although these are two different words that mean two different things, they are spelled very similarly, and I think that’s how the confusion creeps in. Having said that, even though the a and e are not next door to one another on the keyboard (I had to check that: I touch-type and most of the letters have worn off my keyboard through over-use), this one does come up fairly frequently.

Expensive means of high cost – either in monetary or some other terms. An expensive training course costs a lot, an expensive manoeuvre might cost the army dear in terms of people or equipment.

Expansive means covering a wide area, or extensive (although I don’t see extensive mixed up with expensive, which you would kind of expect!). It also means relaxed, communicative and genial, when used to describe a person. “The grounds of the castle are expansive”.

So you may have grounds which are both expansive, as in large, and expensive in terms of their cost of upkeep. But there’s going to be no more mixing up of the two words, now, is there?
Hahaha, didn't even see that, I was button mashing out of rage Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3168 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
:D

grammar nazi here lol

on your topic; airlines hate it when you book and don't complete the last leg(s) of the trip, but I don't see a problem with it.
Hopefully you don't go thru US customs in Vancouver.
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1650 posts
2381 upvotes
West
It's been like this for ages and won't change until taxes/airport fees decrease, which is never. Many small start ups have come/gone, but they just cannot survive by offering low fares alone.

Could always hidden city ticket on the way there... I take no responsibility for any consequences though. Or, if you're willing to go through a bit more effort to save, try NewLeaf.

Just saw the dates of your prospective flights, and you are making one huge error... you're looking WAY too early. If you take notice, no fares for July have dropped yet, only the ones to the end of June. Try waiting at least another 2-6 weeks and you'll see those fares drop. I'd say a round-trip fare to YYZ from YVR would run ~$460 if you're flexible and patient.
Dec 14, 2011
106 posts
16 upvotes
Halifax, NS
What do expensive flights have to do with shopping? This is the Shopping Discussion section.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14020 posts
8116 upvotes
Toronto
my wife has to fly Toronto to Windsor for work.

$1300 return.

Madness.
Mar 17, 2009
187 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
It is crazy how domestic flights in Canada are expensive compared to USA domestic flights.

Having done both on a semi-regular basis, heres my $0.02:

In Canada. airports are allowed to charge airport improvement fees. On my regular flights to Montreal, that is $50 on a return flight, roughly 25% of the total cost of my ~$200 fare. I believe that in the USA the airports get better government funding.

Also, in Canada, theres far fewer "popular" (sorry, I do not know what the industry term is) routes. On a weekday, theres something like 60 flights from Toronto to Montreal (and 60 back) between AC, WJ, and Porter. And every time I fly those planes they are nearly full. I doubt theres any other markets close to that. So, we lack the efficiency. When you're in the USA, with a slightly smaller landmass and 10 times the people, they can run planes like buses through their hub system and have many more profitable routes flying at high efficiency. As for Canada... we are just too spread out.
Banned
Mar 26, 2016
91 posts
33 upvotes
Swerny wrote: my wife has to fly Toronto to Windsor for work.

$1300 return.

Madness.
Because anybody who needs to fly into Windsor is on expense account...Similar to flying into Houston...Really expensive because it's mostly expense accounts
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
lazycow9 wrote: What do expensive flights have to do with shopping? This is the Shopping Discussion section.
Do you get flights gifted to you or something?
I can't speak for the rest of RFD's member base, but I tend to shop for my flights.

verb
visit one or more stores or websites to buy goods or services.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10926 posts
13327 upvotes
Vancouver
SatanicWaffle wrote: Because anybody who needs to fly into Windsor is on expense account...Similar to flying into Houston...Really expensive because it's mostly expense accounts
I've flown into Windsor twice from Vancouver (via Calgary) and didn't find it very expensive. Cost the same or less than flying to Toronto from here. I just looked at Air Canada YYZ-YQG for two random dates in March (mar 13-17) and it's $403. I wouldn't call that really expensive; it's only $60 more than flying to/from Montreal on the same dates.
Feb 13, 2017
369 posts
348 upvotes
toronto, ontario
Phonophoresis wrote: Could always hidden city ticket on the way there... I take no responsibility for any consequences though.
Keep in mind, if you get off at Toronto, any checked luggage you have will be delivered to New York.

Also, most airlines will cancel the return portion of your ticket if you do not reach your final destination.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
its because Canadians are sheep and gleefully accept being screwed by everyone - airlines, cell companies, etc.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16823 posts
9604 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Swerny wrote: my wife has to fly Toronto to Windsor for work.

$1300 return.

Madness.
It's the same in the US - ie. flying from Atlanta, GA to Albany, GA. However, if I fly from YVR through Atlanta to Albany, the price is whole lot cheaper.

Now if you compare that to flying to Ft Myers, FL, I can get a one way ticket for under $250 + taxes of course so I'm literally going from one end of the US to the other.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10481 posts
3559 upvotes
Ottawa
I have been in Canada for over 20 years and have traveled the world (for work and for pleasure as both sides of the family are in Asia) but I have never been outside of Ontario and Quebec.

I plan to visit Calgary this summer to see a couple of friends and check out the Stampede. The cheapest fare that I found from Ottawa to Calgary would be almost $800 per person. I look in the Hot Deals forum and you can fly to Vietnam or Japan for less than that. It's truly mind-boggling.

I think we will depart from Montreal to save about $200/person. It is what it is and I don't know if we have any other option as we don't have enough Aeroplan or WestJet points for redemption.