• Dec 28th, 2020 9:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes

Why don’t we have this in Canada?

https://realfood.tesco.com/5-easy-famil ... iAdNp9G430

It’s like getting Hello Fresh without the markup!

I know PC has started kits but they are more expensive.

The idea of a grocery store giving you 5 recipes and making it super easy to buy those items from them for 20 servings a week at under 50$ is pretty cool.

Walmart should get in this bus!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1294 upvotes
How do you buy 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil? or 20 grams of butter?

These are just recipes. You don't need a grocery store for that. The initial outlay is going to be far more than the price suggests.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: How do you buy 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil? or 20 grams of butter?

These are just recipes. You don't need a grocery store for that. The initial outlay is going to be far more than the price suggests.
Did you actually look at the website? Of course the prices are based on using x amount of olive oil so it wouldn’t work out to exactly that price each week. If I buy olive oil this week, the outlay would be higher and then lower for the next 5-6 weeks when I don’t buy olive oil.

However, it links you to a shopping list where you can choose what you need and they automatically price match the other major budget grocery store in the UK.

So is it the absolutely cheapest way to eat? No. But it literally means someone would give me a new cool easy to prepare dish 5 days a week where on my shopping day I could check off what I need added to my cart off their website, have someone shop for me. All at a pretty reasonable price. That sounds pretty awesome to me.
May 28, 2012
11197 posts
3375 upvotes
Saskatoon
There are so many variables with family meal planning. My children were the pickiest of eaters and there's no way I could follow someone else's plan about what to serve for supper every night. Not to mention there are so many food allergies and food intolerances out there that you would need to alter a lot of those meals anyway.

I do almost all the cooking and most of it's from scratch and I also do all my own shopping...so clearly I am not the target market for this product. I can see a young, busy family taking advantage of it though.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: There are so many variables with family meal planning. My children were the pickiest of eaters and there's no way I could follow someone else's plan about what to serve for supper every night. Not to mention there are so many food allergies and food intolerances out there that you would need to alter a lot of those meals anyway.

I do almost all the cooking and most of it's from scratch and I also do all my own shopping...so clearly I am not the target market for this product. I can see a young, busy family taking advantage of it though.
Of course it won’t work for everyone but right now lots of families are paying a premium for services like HelloFresh. To me this looks like an awesome alternative.

Walmart would do well with this I think.
May 28, 2012
11197 posts
3375 upvotes
Saskatoon
Canoes4Fun wrote: Of course it won’t work for everyone but right now lots of families are paying a premium for services like HelloFresh. To me this looks like an awesome alternative.

Walmart would do well with this I think.
Yeah, I can't understand that either, but I am an outlier. ;)
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: Yeah, I can't understand that either, but I am an outlier. ;)
I like the idea of Hello Fresh but don’t want to pay the premium and don’t like the waste generated.

This seems like a cheaper alternative and it’s a pretty inexpensive way for a major chain to get families to buy pretty exclusively from them.

I see this as ‘budget HelloFresh’ and would fit with the part of the market Walmart is going after.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1294 upvotes
Canoes4Fun wrote: Did you actually look at the website? Of course the prices are based on using x amount of olive oil so it wouldn’t work out to exactly that price each week. If I buy olive oil this week, the outlay would be higher and then lower for the next 5-6 weeks when I don’t buy olive oil.

However, it links you to a shopping list where you can choose what you need and they automatically price match the other major budget grocery store in the UK.

So is it the absolutely cheapest way to eat? No. But it literally means someone would give me a new cool easy to prepare dish 5 days a week where on my shopping day I could check off what I need added to my cart off their website, have someone shop for me. All at a pretty reasonable price. That sounds pretty awesome to me.
I did, You realize it's a subscription service right?

Your paying additional fees every month to use their delivery service on top of the groceries and delivery charges. They have multiple plans. I still don't see what the difference is between this vs me doing my grocery shopping online, having them delivered to me and getting to choose any recipe I want from anywhere rather than 5 random ones that re given to me. The only benefit this has is it may save you a couple of dollars on a few items that get price matched but then you are paying a subscription fee every month so there go the savings
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1163 posts
634 upvotes
Ripley
Walmart pricing and stock aren't consistent across the province so it wouldn't work at Walmart. Pinterest has thousands of links that do the same things like the Tesco website for free.

As a family, the appeal of Hello Fresh is that I don't have to go to the store, buy individual products and Hello Fresh is preportioned and premeasured.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6047 posts
2677 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
My guess: Logistics limitation. Britain is much denser than Canada (even if you toss out the sparsely-populated parts more than 100-200 Km from the southern border). They have almost twice as many people in an area half the size of a prairie province so there only has to be a a small number of processing facilities that can quickly supply many outlets that in turn have many customers. In Canada, we'd have much longer transit time and distances from central processing/packaging facilities to retail outlet so we have to have more small, local ones hence increased costs.

Another major difference is that the U.K. has much fewer food retailers (just 5 IIRC, Waitrose, Sainsbury, Tesco, Morrison and ASDA) and they're all national due to the small geographic size of the country. I would expect that each has many, many more retail outlets in that small geographical area than any of our chains, including different brands, have in all of Canada.

Now, maybe if we move everyone in Canada to some place the size of ....... Nova Scotia......
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote:
I did, You realize it's a subscription service right?

Your paying additional fees every month to use their delivery service on top of the groceries and delivery charges. They have multiple plans. I still don't see what the difference is between this vs me doing my grocery shopping online, having them delivered to me and getting to choose any recipe I want from anywhere rather than 5 random ones that re given to me. The only benefit this has is it may save you a couple of dollars on a few items that get price matched but then you are paying a subscription fee every month so there go the savings
You pick what you want to buy so it’s not a subscription service in the sense that I use the word. Right in the page it says you can shop online, use Click and Collect or print the shopping list and shop in store. So it basically looks like Walmart’s current options with the bonus of free meal planning.

The appeal to me of this is that basically someone is meal planning for me and shopping for me without the cost of something like HelloFresh.

Walmart already shops for me for free so if all this would mean is hiring someone to do weekly meal planning.

When I am working 60-70 hrs a week, this would be the type of service that would get my loyalty.

I totally get that it isn’t for everyone but someone should do this in Canada.
Last edited by Canoes4Fun on Dec 27th, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: My guess: Logistics limitation. Britain is much denser than Canada (even if you toss out the sparsely-populated parts more than 100-200 Km from the southern border). They have almost twice as many people in an area half the size of a prairie province so there only has to be a a small number of processing facilities that can quickly supply many outlets that in turn have many customers. In Canada, we'd have much longer transit time and distances from central processing/packaging facilities to retail outlet so we have to have more small, local ones hence increased costs.

Another major difference is that the U.K. has much fewer food retailers (just 5 IIRC, Waitrose, Sainsbury, Tesco, Morrison and ASDA) and they're all national due to the small geographic size of the country. I would expect that each has many, many more retail outlets in that small geographical area than any of our chains, including different brands, have in all of Canada.

Now, maybe if we move everyone in Canada to some place the size of ....... Nova Scotia......
Of course there are differences but Walmart already has click and collect and delivery so adding a site that shows 5 planned meals per week would not be a big addition to their infrastructure.

Someone also mentioned that prices aren’t the same at all Walmart’s. Sure but that hasn’t stopped them from having a website to buy everything from. I can log in to different stores to see different items available and prices so I think they could use the same algorithms to figure out cost.

They also could say ‘5 dinners on a budget’ instead of a specific price but the idea would still hold.

Ultimately this is what I see as a middle aged consumer who does the majority of grocery shopping and favours Organics - Walmart wants my business. Since they got rid of price matching they are targeting people like me to see if they can gain more of our shop (from PC, FarmBoy,etc).

PC blew their lead over organizations like HelloFresh when they chose to create meal kits instead of meal plans. Walmart could take a huge cut of that market if they started doing this in my view.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd prefer to plan my own meals, do my own shopping, and not do my groceries at WalmartGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes. (Would rather shop at Farm Boy). I guess I'm different from everyone else here...Face Without Mouth.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1641 posts
1051 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: Yeah, I can't understand that either, but I am an outlier. ;)
The outliers are the ones using those food prep services. There are enough of them in some geographic areas to make it worthwhile for some services, even though the majority will still shop, prep and cook their own meals.
[OP]
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
Gr8irlbot wrote: The outliers are the ones using those food prep services. There are enough of them in some geographic areas to make it worthwhile for some services, even though the majority will still shop, prep and cook their own meals.
I would say it’s probably a minority of the population but not an outlier.

I would say 80 percent of the women I work with have used one of these at some point. Most of my colleagues don’t use them every week but a couple times a year.

I haven’t because they won’t deliver to my address (top rural) but I certainly have looked into them.
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4726 posts
1691 upvotes
Talk about laziness. Just hire a nanny to spoon feed you then.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3822 posts
1549 upvotes
Scarborough
HghSsociety wrote: I did, You realize it's a subscription service right?

Having tried all of them through a trial base only as they are expensive without, I can literally tell you that the biggest difference and probably the key ingredient is the spice mixes. That little packet of spice is what makes your grocery meals turn out like it came from a restaurant. Without that secret spice (not so secret) your dinners will be ordinary. Night and day is the difference which you speak of.