Personal Finance

Why Don't My Credit Cards Have Activity E-Mail Alerts?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 10:55 pm
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto

Why Don't My Credit Cards Have Activity E-Mail Alerts?

I see people left and right of me saying how they have Immediate alerts via text or email for purchases with their credit cards but not me?

Im a BMO customer with a no fee normal credit card with $14,000 limit and I have a TD Visa card with $9,500 limit. I am not a customer of TD Bank. How do I get this feature on both of my CC cards? Do I have to pay an extra fee?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5291 posts
3657 upvotes
LaLaLand
I think it's either there or it isn't. I am a TD customer but do not get any sort of alerts. Maybe you have to turn it on somewhere as they could get annoying. My American Express cards get notifications via Google Pay when they are used, either with Google Pay, the physical card or online. This is a very good feature of American Express cards.

I think it may have to do with the integration of the back end system at the banks. For example, when I add a new CIBC card to Google Pay, I never get the text so I have to call in to get the card added. But when I add a new payee to my bank account, I do get a text. Two different back end systems.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2188 posts
2846 upvotes
Generally these are set through an "alerts" feature accessible on the online account for that card. Do you have online account access for both the BMO and TD cards? I know TD can be a pain getting online account without any other banking accounts.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5813 posts
4227 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
For BMO, you have to sign in to online banking and on the left side, there'll be a My Alerts. One stupid thing about it is that it only alerts you over a min. amount so everything below you don't get notification for. My AMEX alerts me for every transaction.
Member
Dec 28, 2017
402 posts
175 upvotes
Burlington
Have you tried calling BMO about it? They might be able to lower the limit for alerts .
As for unauthorized payments, I am not too worried about it. You can always call in to cancel the transaction if you can proof that was not authorized ... But then.. that's not what the alert is for anyway .. r u worried about the supplement card usage?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1895 posts
1676 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote: My AMEX alerts me for every transaction.
Do you get text or email alerts with Amex? I have an Amex Gold and never get any purchase notifications even though I believe I have set the proper settings. The CSR told me it's not possible to get purchase notifications by email.
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2014
826 posts
974 upvotes
yesnomaybe wrote: Do you get text or email alerts with Amex? I have an Amex Gold and never get any purchase notifications even though I believe I have set the proper settings. The CSR told me it's not possible to get purchase notifications by email.
If you have the Amex app, they send push notifications on every transaction. That or you add the Amex on your Google Pay to get the same thing as well. It will be Google Pay alerting you instead and it doesn't matter if you used your phone's NFC to pay or not, you will still be notified when a charge goes through.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1556 posts
880 upvotes
yesnomaybe wrote: Do you get text or email alerts with Amex? I have an Amex Gold and never get any purchase notifications even though I believe I have set the proper settings. The CSR told me it's not possible to get purchase notifications by email.
I've got the gold too. App notifies me
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5813 posts
4227 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
yesnomaybe wrote: Do you get text or email alerts with Amex? I have an Amex Gold and never get any purchase notifications even though I believe I have set the proper settings. The CSR told me it's not possible to get purchase notifications by email.
Oh sorry, I had the app downloaded and it sends me instant push notifications. Kinda do prefer text, but this will be the next best thing and I think it is actually a bit faster too.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6733 posts
7063 upvotes
Vancouver
TD had email alerts for some transactions until a few months ago, but instead of improving they decided to screw over their customers instead.

Formerly TD offered email alerts through TD Rewards, so you had to sign up with TD's crappy points rewards sales program to get alerts. But you could not get alerts for supplementary cards, so spending by any significant other or kids using supplementary cards went unreported.

In September, with very little warning, TD suddenly dropped the old email alerts, and said that you now had to install and use their "MySpend" spending analysis app in order to get credit card usage alert notifications. Email alerts are no longer available. It no longer supports their US$ credit card. Oh, and it doesn't work - not for me at least on my phone. I found out about it from RFD, because the only prior warning was a small-print note at the end of my online TD US$ statement, giving an invalid url, and telling me to go there to sign up my US$ credit card - which, as I noted, is officially not supported. Thanks TD, great work as always.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8057 posts
4209 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Scote64 wrote: TD had email alerts for some transactions until a few months ago, but instead of improving they decided to screw over their customers instead.

Formerly TD offered email alerts through TD Rewards, so you had to sign up with TD's crappy points rewards sales program to get alerts. But you could not get alerts for supplementary cards, so spending by any significant other or kids using supplementary cards went unreported.

In September, with very little warning, TD suddenly dropped the old email alerts, and said that you now had to install and use their "MySpend" spending analysis app in order to get credit card usage alert notifications. Email alerts are no longer available. It no longer supports their US$ credit card. Oh, and it doesn't work - not for me at least on my phone. I found out about it from RFD, because the only prior warning was a small-print note at the end of my online TD US$ statement, giving an invalid url, and telling me to go there to sign up my US$ credit card - which, as I noted, is officially not supported. Thanks TD, great work as always.
We actually used to get email and text alerts for both main and supplementary cards and then like I posted in summer there was blurb in the statement that can only get alert [email not available anymore] if install their app.

Looked at app and it actually wanted me to install another app!! So two apps for less alerts choices.

And like Scote64 said these apps don't work quite often.
2022: BOC raised 3 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1556 posts
880 upvotes
Rogers has email alerts. Delayed usually, but never more than 5 min
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1570 upvotes
Scarborough
Hopefully you never get alert when sleeping or napping.
Besides banks have been shifting the blame game to customers for frauds so they like to delay disputed charges so by not encoraging or having this favours them
Just watch marketplace its clear
Banks are increasingly not wanna be responsible for protecting customers from frauds they blame customer for any fraud and not wanna reimburse unless you go public
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2716 posts
843 upvotes
North York
I get push alerts via Capital One app and usually 10-15 sec delay for most transactions.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8057 posts
4209 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
mwong168 wrote: I get push alerts via Capital One app and usually 10-15 sec delay for most transactions.
Yeah, they are doing it well so far... get email and text.

BUT their website pw is horrible... can't add characters and does not always stick if change pw... gonna try again... maybe latter is browser related?
2022: BOC raised 3 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1895 posts
1676 upvotes
Toronto
Tangerine's email alerts are almost instantaneous
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2018
1135 posts
1570 upvotes
The Dawg Pound
yesnomaybe wrote: Tangerine's email alerts are almost instantaneous
Same with the Brim MasterCard
[OP]
Banned
User avatar
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
robsaw wrote: Generally these are set through an "alerts" feature accessible on the online account for that card. Do you have online account access for both the BMO and TD cards? I know TD can be a pain getting online account without any other banking accounts.
I have BMO online banking but not TD since Im don't have money with them. So you are telling me this is 2019 and we don't automatically get this feature? We have to jump to hoops and loops to get it?

BATCAVE says the alerts get annoying but it won't in my case, I'm the only one using it, not my partner.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)