• Oct 28th, 2013 6:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5307 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto

Why Fast Food Is Expensive In Canada?

i came from philippines, i noticed that the price of fast food here is double than the price back in philippines? any explanation?
34 replies
Sep 11, 2008
187 posts
19 upvotes
I think the UShas more competition. I'm glad our fat food is more expensive. Keeps our population slimmer.
Mar 8, 2004
323 posts
88 upvotes
Montreal
supercanadian1 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2013 10:52 am
I think the UShas more competition. I'm glad our fat food is more expensive. Keeps our population slimmer.
+1 :)

But i think one of the main reason is that the standard of food is different and more strict. It cost more to grow food with more control on the method; less pesticides, less chemicals, more inspections, less biotech seeds, less time for growth with the short seasons, less subsidies and lobby for the companies behind fast food.
Nov 5, 2007
74 posts
7 upvotes
Woodstock
Labour costs at mcdonalds there is 7-8x cheaper and serving sizes are a bit smaller.
Jul 30, 2007
22986 posts
7997 upvotes
Toronto
real meat is used in Canada vs who knows what they used there :D
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18444 posts
3114 upvotes
GTA West
Philipines probably has cheaper labour cost both in the restaurant and in terms of producing raw materials versus Canada.

Checking Wikipedia, the Philippines minimum wage tops out at 456 pesos per day (CAD$ 10.85 per DAY,) while the Canadian minimum wage is considerably higher.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jan 11, 2010
788 posts
22 upvotes
Filipinos probably get screwed if you compare the prices to their wages. So if they make $10.85 a day how much is a Big Mac combo ?
Dec 17, 2003
282 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Standard of living= taxes. Taxes are always cascaded to customers which means we pay double or higher than the cost of goods produced.
May 28, 2012
10071 posts
2239 upvotes
Saskatoon
booblehead wrote:
Oct 6th, 2013 11:49 am
real meat is used in Canada vs who knows what they used there :D
Might be real meat, but that burger patty has sure gotten smaller in the past few years, especially at Rotten Ronnies.
Apr 19, 2013
95 posts
17 upvotes
Look behind you
A worried father confronted his daughter one night.' I don't like that new boyfriend, he's rough and common and bloody stupid with it.'
'Oh no, Daddy,' the daughter replied,' Fred's ever so clever, we've only been going out nine weeks and he's cured me of that illness I used to get once a month.'
Jun 14, 2012
401 posts
36 upvotes
u srs? higher wages, better quality control, no using sub par(spoiled) meat to save $$$ taxes, businesses tend to pay a lot of taxes in canada, personal taxes are a joke
Deal Addict
May 27, 2004
1011 posts
285 upvotes
It's expensive for the very reason why you came to Canada: to get a better job that pays more money then what you would earn in Manilla.
Sep 2, 2013
152 posts
17 upvotes
generally the food is higher quality. (canada has stricter food laws than other countrys). i know most of mcdonalds come from canadian farmers, candian beef, potatoes, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3047 posts
332 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The wage standard is different, as well as currency conversion. Here's an example:

Ontario minimum wage: 10.25
Big Mac meal: $7.49(?)+tax = $8.46
You literally don't even have enough money to take the bus home...

Whereas if you take your 10.25, convert it to Hong Kong Dollars...you get $77.03HKD
Big mac meal in Hong Kong: $21HKD
You can literally feed yourself from breakfast, lunch, AND dinner, and you would still have enough money to take the bus or subway back home with change.
Too bad Hong Kong's minimum wage isn't $77/hr...it's more like $30/hr which is an equivalent of $4 CAD/hr.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7981 posts
1155 upvotes
Toronto
Higher standard of Living in Canada.

I heard Gin is pretty cheap back in the Phillipines too.