Automotive

Why is it illegal to put gas in my car on a Quebec highway shoulder?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2017 1:00 pm
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33227 posts
6905 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
From the article, it appears to be a safety issue.

Hwy 20 starts where the 401 ends. I think it narrows to two lanes. Not sure it is ever a single lane.
Dec 16, 2008
983 posts
406 upvotes
Richmond Hill
People still run out of gas these days :facepalm: :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
21875 posts
162388 upvotes
GTA
While I agree in principle from a safety standpoint (I would never want to be outside my car on the shoulder of a major highway), I would hope there would be no gouging/scams being pulled on the part of the towing companies, given that they are being contracted by the government.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9091 posts
1240 upvotes
Montreal, QC
toguy wrote: While I agree in principle from a safety standpoint (I would never want to be outside my car on the shoulder of a major highway), I would hope there would be no gouging/scams being pulled on the part of the towing companies, given that they are being contracted by the government.
I somehow feel that's part of the reason. Kind of like how people thought the "winter tire" law in Quebec was more related to lobbies by tire companies (and distributors) than it was for safety. You never know with Quebec.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3176 posts
1958 upvotes
Montreal
That particular part of urban highway is 3 lane but very high traffic and very tiny shoulder, with concrete dividers to the outside, so I can see safety is a big concern.