Health & Wellness

Why isn't Costco carrying Kirkland Minoxidil in Canada?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2022 9:36 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jun 8, 2019
528 posts
621 upvotes

Why isn't Costco carrying Kirkland Minoxidil in Canada?

In the USA Kirkland's Minoxidil is dirt cheap from Costco.

Here they need to import it through third party sellers and the prices are x3 times higher.

Any idea why?
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1570 posts
1211 upvotes
Drugs available for sale in Canada without a prescription in an open self-selection area (i.e. retail) must have labels and directions in both English and French.

Kirkland Signature Minoxidil sold in the US has labels and directions (detailed) in english only.
If Costco Canada wants to sell it, they would need to come to an agreement with the supplier (Perrigo) to provide labels and directions in both English and French. And I guess the supplier (Perrigo) and/or Costco Canada has NOT made the business case that doing so is worth the effort/cost, when Costco Canada also sells the branded product Rogaine, and the Canadian market for this product is much smaller than the US (together with other countries where english only label can be sold)

Interestingly, Kirkland Minoxidil is actually "Made in Canada", but sourced through Perrigo in the US (which provides the packaging and directions).

Here is the FDA report, with pictures of label and directions (Made in Canada on the label):
https://fda.report/DailyMed/69b4602f-05 ... %20Company.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8737 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I wonder if Costco gets sweetheart deals with the patent holder to keep generic off the shelf. Naproxen soidum (generic Aleve) used to be available as a Kirkland brand but for the last few years only the branded Bayer stuff is available.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2020
3994 posts
3287 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
Does this stuff even work? I tried it and it just looks like someone jizzed in my hair. Didn't do anything. I just accepted my fate and shaved everything off...
I guess I can always drop 20G on a transplant whenever though, so I probably don't care that much.

Kinda sucks about the labelling thing, that's one example of regulation screwing us. Who speaks French in Toronto?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23469 posts
22419 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ADenariusSaved wrote: Does this stuff even work? I tried it and it just looks like someone jizzed in my hair. Didn't do anything. I just accepted my fate and shaved everything off...
I guess I can always drop 20G on a transplant whenever though, so I probably don't care that much.

Kinda sucks about the labelling thing, that's one example of regulation screwing us.
Who speaks French in Toronto?
Ya need to get out of your bubble more
Lots of people outside of Quebec …
in Ontario speak French
Including in Toronto

Anyhow that isn’t entirely the point
Point is Canada has 2 Official Languages
Hence the labelling laws
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2020
3994 posts
3287 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
PointsHubby wrote: Ya need to get out of your bubble more
Lots of people outside of Quebec …
in Ontario speak French
Including in Toronto

Anyhow that isn’t entirely the point
Point is Canada has 2 Official Languages
Hence the labelling laws
Je parle couramment le français comme Torontois lol, mais il faut qu'il ait une certaine juridiction régionale (au moins provinciale) sur ces règlements. Regardez ce qui se passe avec le Tylenol pour enfants! Cela n'a pas de sens...

C'est difficile de trouver des francophones à Toronto. J'ai essayé, afin de pouvoir conserver mon français. On ne peut même pas mettre ma nièce en immersion française en raison d'une grave pénurie d'enseignants français =(.

Je plaisante généralement...Le minoxidil n'est pas une nécessité mais ces règlements posent trops de problèmes en ce moment avec le Tylenol pour enfants...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8737 posts
4356 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ADenariusSaved wrote: Does this stuff even work? I tried it and it just looks like someone jizzed in my hair.
For some it does. Several decades ago, news came out that Upjohn, the drug developer, published that unexpected hair growth was a side effect. Took at least a day for the market to react and Upjohn share prices to rise (significantly at that).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 6, 2017
891 posts
1544 upvotes
Waste of money. Just accept the fact and shave your head or wear a hat.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2020
3994 posts
3287 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
Kingsmen17 wrote: Waste of money. Just accept the fact and shave your head or wear a hat.
This is what I did, this is what the older bald bros told me. But they wear fashionable hats.
It's cool, you end up going to the gym more to get jacked to complete the look. Now if I could only grow facial hair...
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2010
980 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
ADenariusSaved wrote: This is what I did, this is what the older bald bros told me. But they wear fashionable hats.
It's cool, you end up going to the gym more to get jacked to complete the look. Now if I could only grow facial hair...
Na, don’t listen to bald bros. You can have hair just like your coin. Half of my office is bald men there’s little variety. I dare not ask if they gave up. I apply a little bit of the white foam on my cowlick I was born with. Does it work I don’t know hard to tell but I’m doing something if the catastrophe starts.

Top