Green / Eco-Friendly

Why isn't there a push to use hand showers/bidets instead of toilet paper?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2019 3:06 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
528 posts
387 upvotes
Burnaby

Why isn't there a push to use hand showers/bidets instead of toilet paper?

I have to visit lots of residential construction projects as part of my work and I've never seen these in any of the townhomes or low rises I've been to. Why doesn't anyone install a hand shower faucet or a bidet? Why not give people an alternative that is better in every way than lugging around massive boxes of toilet paper from the grocery store?
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12750 posts
2050 upvotes
City of Vancouver
nicermog wrote: I have to visit lots of residential construction projects as part of my work and I've never seen these in any of the townhomes or low rises I've been to. Why doesn't anyone install a hand shower faucet or a bidet? Why not give people an alternative that is better in every way than lugging around massive boxes of toilet paper from the grocery store?
I have always used toilet paper and am not a world traveler, so the concept is very foreign to me and seems weird, gross, etc. My sibling, though, bought some kit off aliexpress or something for real cheap, and the toilet paper savings has been immense.
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
528 posts
387 upvotes
Burnaby
I get that but most of the buyers in the neighborhoods are middle/south/east asian. I used to get some customers ask about where to find bucket and mug for the toilet almost every other day while I was working at Lowes. Plus the BC cities who seems to be all about the environment has no interest in passing bylaws giving incentive to something that can save both energy and money.
Becks wrote: My sibling, though, bought some kit off aliexpress or something for real cheap, and the toilet paper has been immense.
It is 100‰ off on lifetime supply of tp. Ought to be a blazing hot deal iyam.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3757 posts
1580 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Not popular in North American culture (city hall has probably not even noticed the existance of such things) + more expense to install, not to mention potential for accidental flooding. A bidet takes up more room too. FWIW, I've noticed the toilet spray is becoming more popular in SE Asia (Thailand and Malaysia). Concrete construction + wet bathrooms (tiled floors with in-floor drain) helps. It seems they also replace toilet brushes.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2016
528 posts
387 upvotes
Burnaby
For accidental flooding that all you need is floor drain in the bathroom. One of my friends had a washbasin leak when they went on vacation and it damaged their and couple of other units in the condo. Wouldn't have happened if there was a drain in the bathroom floor.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3757 posts
1580 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
nicermog wrote: For accidental flooding that all you need is floor drain in the bathroom. One of my friends had a washbasin leak when they went on vacation and it damaged their and couple of other units in the condo. Wouldn't have happened if there was a drain in the bathroom floor.
Homes here aren't built not just with but for those, though. Too much potential for leaks and damp rot given wood frame construction.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Jun 11, 2019
65 posts
2 upvotes
It's because currently there is no dumping cost associated with the production of trash like toilet paper. The companies that make this just pocket the profits and walk away. Until our governments create infrastructure and laws to punish these companies, they will continue what they do best, and the next generation will inherit their grandparents' waste.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1349 posts
975 upvotes
GTA West
nicermog wrote: I have to visit lots of residential construction projects as part of my work and I've never seen these in any of the townhomes or low rises I've been to. Why doesn't anyone install a hand shower faucet or a bidet? Why not give people an alternative that is better in every way than lugging around massive boxes of toilet paper from the grocery store?
They have those "washlets" that are toilet seats with built-in wand sprayers and blow drying. You need an outlet at your toilet to plug it in. We really liked them while traveling in Asia.

But you can always do it manually - here is a demo for you! You are most welcome. Don't forget to wash under your fingernails!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)