Green / Eco-Friendly

Why isn't there a push to use hand showers/bidets instead of toilet paper?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2023 10:33 pm
Nov 25, 2016
602 posts
425 upvotes
Burnaby

Why isn't there a push to use hand showers/bidets instead of toilet paper?

I have to visit lots of residential construction projects as part of my work and I've never seen these in any of the townhomes or low rises I've been to. Why doesn't anyone install a hand shower faucet or a bidet? Why not give people an alternative that is better in every way than lugging around massive boxes of toilet paper from the grocery store?
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
nicermog wrote: I have to visit lots of residential construction projects as part of my work and I've never seen these in any of the townhomes or low rises I've been to. Why doesn't anyone install a hand shower faucet or a bidet? Why not give people an alternative that is better in every way than lugging around massive boxes of toilet paper from the grocery store?
I have always used toilet paper and am not a world traveler, so the concept is very foreign to me and seems weird, gross, etc. My sibling, though, bought some kit off aliexpress or something for real cheap, and the toilet paper savings has been immense.
Nov 25, 2016
602 posts
425 upvotes
Burnaby
I get that but most of the buyers in the neighborhoods are middle/south/east asian. I used to get some customers ask about where to find bucket and mug for the toilet almost every other day while I was working at Lowes. Plus the BC cities who seems to be all about the environment has no interest in passing bylaws giving incentive to something that can save both energy and money.
Becks wrote: My sibling, though, bought some kit off aliexpress or something for real cheap, and the toilet paper has been immense.
It is 100‰ off on lifetime supply of tp. Ought to be a blazing hot deal iyam.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Not popular in North American culture (city hall has probably not even noticed the existance of such things) + more expense to install, not to mention potential for accidental flooding. A bidet takes up more room too. FWIW, I've noticed the toilet spray is becoming more popular in SE Asia (Thailand and Malaysia). Concrete construction + wet bathrooms (tiled floors with in-floor drain) helps. It seems they also replace toilet brushes.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Nov 25, 2016
602 posts
425 upvotes
Burnaby
For accidental flooding that all you need is floor drain in the bathroom. One of my friends had a washbasin leak when they went on vacation and it damaged their and couple of other units in the condo. Wouldn't have happened if there was a drain in the bathroom floor.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
nicermog wrote: For accidental flooding that all you need is floor drain in the bathroom. One of my friends had a washbasin leak when they went on vacation and it damaged their and couple of other units in the condo. Wouldn't have happened if there was a drain in the bathroom floor.
Homes here aren't built not just with but for those, though. Too much potential for leaks and damp rot given wood frame construction.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Jun 11, 2019
215 posts
37 upvotes
It's because currently there is no dumping cost associated with the production of trash like toilet paper. The companies that make this just pocket the profits and walk away. Until our governments create infrastructure and laws to punish these companies, they will continue what they do best, and the next generation will inherit their grandparents' waste.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2633 upvotes
GTA West
nicermog wrote: I have to visit lots of residential construction projects as part of my work and I've never seen these in any of the townhomes or low rises I've been to. Why doesn't anyone install a hand shower faucet or a bidet? Why not give people an alternative that is better in every way than lugging around massive boxes of toilet paper from the grocery store?
They have those "washlets" that are toilet seats with built-in wand sprayers and blow drying. You need an outlet at your toilet to plug it in. We really liked them while traveling in Asia.

But you can always do it manually - here is a demo for you! You are most welcome. Don't forget to wash under your fingernails!

Oct 28, 2011
67 posts
48 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
Bidets is considers as an upgrade, based on my understanding. Top-end Toto toilet does has option to buy electronic bidets as an add-on accessory for $1000.

Handhold spray - I don't see any hardware store carry the plumbing associated with it, even the spray itself is kind of available. The kitchen sink spray is one the same concept, and design. The major problem I see in Canada is that if the spray leak, which mine kitchen sink's spray does when it get old, the water damage and associated repair going to be costly. Just for kitchen sink that leaked for 7 yr, I have to replace laminate countertop, cabinet, tile (flooring), subfloor, dry wall, lower level dry wall, lower level dry wall ceiling. Even toilet doesn't has the first 2, but the rest applies. Certainly a responsible home owner will immediately repair it, when renting to other, or away for vacation, damage will be unavoidable
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2023
1335 posts
1423 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
So I recall reading somewhere that one of the reasons was that North America tends to have showers and bathtubs with long handle shower heads, and because of this the need for a bidet just wasn't there. If you feel your bum isn't adequately cleaned using something like baby wipes (please dispose of inside of sealed garbage can), then just pull your clothes off and take a shower again anyways. As someone that takes like 2-3 showers a day (for medical reasons), a bidet for me just wouldn't make sense.

Then the fact that, sometimes you have to take a shit in public toilet. Well, no bidets there, so if you get too used to riding the bidet train when you poop in public you will not feel satisfied. Are you going to drive back home just to wash your ass off? Probably not unless you had some severely explosive diarrhea.
People who say they like the hot weather are the same people who have air conditioned homes who also drive in air conditioned cars. The GTA has two seasons, road salt and construction.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1195 posts
1524 upvotes
CrappyTire404 wrote: So I recall reading somewhere that one of the reasons was that North America tends to have showers and bathtubs with long handle shower heads, and because of this the need for a bidet just wasn't there. If you feel your bum isn't adequately cleaned using something like baby wipes (please dispose of inside of sealed garbage can), then just pull your clothes off and take a shower again anyways. As someone that takes like 2-3 showers a day (for medical reasons), a bidet for me just wouldn't make sense.

Then the fact that, sometimes you have to take a shit in public toilet. Well, no bidets there, so if you get too used to riding the bidet train when you poop in public you will not feel satisfied. Are you going to drive back home just to wash your ass off? Probably not unless you had some severely explosive diarrhea.
Your "severely explosive diarrhea" got me Face With Tears Of Joy

Bidet is not common in North America, it is very popular in Japan and most of their toilet are equipped with it. The question is, if it is equipped in a public washroom, will you use it?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2023
1335 posts
1423 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
ccya965041 wrote: Your "severely explosive diarrhea" got me Face With Tears Of Joy

Bidet is not common in North America, it is very popular in Japan and most of their toilet are equipped with it. The question is, if it is equipped in a public washroom, will you use it?
Let's be real here, people on this side of the planet can barely use a normal toilet without turning the public bathrooms into a director's cut scene from (The Day After Tomorrow). If bidets were part of the public infrastructure, you can be sure the public will have a sequel ready to go.
People who say they like the hot weather are the same people who have air conditioned homes who also drive in air conditioned cars. The GTA has two seasons, road salt and construction.