Careers

Why are jobs so hard to find this year??

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2018 4:31 pm
Jan 12, 2016
35 posts
7 upvotes
the west is going through a recession; education is costly, businesses do not hire, and it is basically tough out there! Hang in there and things might turn around. Otherwise marry a rich guy/girl and chiichiiingg!!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
Paul911 wrote: the west is going through a recession; education is costly, businesses do not hire, and it is basically tough out there! Hang in there and things might turn around. Otherwise marry a rich guy/girl and chiichiiingg!!
OP buying his boss BMW. I would hire OP too. how many employees you meet think like that?
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
Tiberious wrote: This is an old thread that doesn't deserve to be revived....I think its' pretty clear that the OP's actions are not of a "reasonable person".

Tiberious
Classic case of bad attitude of today's youth. 20 application, 2 interviews. Normally you send out 100s and only receive 2 interviews. Still complaining.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7081 posts
5209 upvotes
Nah, you talk to family members and give them your resume.

If your family really cared, they would help you get a job.

If not, they will have a couch-surfing 30 year-old soon enough.

Really, they have to help you mainly because they don't want you to take over the living room and only make grunts when responding to family members.

Can you imagine the shame the family would feel? They have to help.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
renoldman wrote: Nah, you talk to family members and give them your resume.

If your family really cared, they would help you get a job.

If not, they will have a couch-surfing 30 year-old soon enough.

Really, they have to help you mainly because they don't want you to take over the living room and only make grunts when responding to family members.

Can you imagine the shame the family would feel? They have to help.
I wished that was true...
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
spike1128 wrote: Classic case of bad attitude of today's youth. 20 application, 2 interviews. Normally you send out 100s and only receive 2 interviews. Still complaining.
I'd be surprised if new grads even got 1 interview for over 100 applications.
Mar 24, 2016
476 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
LUMilkman wrote: I'd be surprised if new grads even got 1 interview for over 100 applications.
That is because the companies don't want to give a chance to a new grad!
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
everywhere you go, top management is not letting "others" get in, and if they do, only few token employees to show diversity.
Everyone knows who they are.
These managements ensure their son/daughter's and their boyfriends/girlfriends etc get hired even if they're not capable and shut out anyone else.
You'll also notice many have UK accents or ancestry.
Besides, you have all these very senior people not taking retirement, even those with grandfathered and great benefits and pensions. They keep showing up daily and refuse to go away.
And when u got people who refuse to retire, ofcourse that means jobseekers are kept out.

There's tons of people looking for jobs, but govt keeps dishing out the "lowest unemployment rate" BS all the time while ordinary people remain jobless and poor.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm a 21 year old with 3 years of volunteering experience. 2 years at a high school library and 1 year at a hospital. I applied to literally tons of retail and fast food places in Edmonton, and not one place ever called back. The only interview I was able to get was at McDonald's on a hiring day. I did get a few interviews at my university's library as well, but didn't make it. One of the interviewers mentioned in an email that I have excellent credentials and experience so that was weird. The city public library did not ever consider me despite me having library experience, how hard can a job be shelving books and assisting customers?

I moved to the US (Southern California) since my dad works there, and I have US citizenship because I was born in the US. I used the same resume, same experience, only the name and address is different. Now I'm getting callbacks for interviews at most of the places I apply to. I got a job offer at Amazon's warehouse and a Gap factory store. Amazon ended up withdrawing their job offer because of a hiring pause at the facility. Gap, I'll have to see how the orientation goes.

But seriously, something is seriously wrong with Canada if I can't get an interview for an entry level part-time job. Name discrimination must be a thing, my name is Korean. But I know it's not just me, I see tons of posts like this on my city's and my university's subreddit all the time.

My dad is a networking engineer and he had the same experience which is why he moved to the US. He could only find low paying, short-term contract jobs in Canada and even then he'd get laid off before the term ended. Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, he's all been there.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
DecayHeat wrote: Nice thread revive
So? Would opening a new thread named "Why are jobs so hard to find this year??" make any difference? Have things improved so much since 2015?
Dec 11, 2013
817 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
If you're doing it right, as a grad you should already have leads for employment. If you're experienced, you should have connections and positive references through the people you met during your previous roles.

If you're blind-firing resumes then that means you didn't make use of your previous opportunities, which could mean you will make the same mistake again.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
charlesd79 wrote: So? Would opening a new thread named "Why are jobs so hard to find this year??" make any difference? Have things improved so much since 2015?
Yes.. unemployment rate has plummeted to all time low and wage growth at 3.9%average now even discounting the min eave hike

Jobs are plentiful and easily found. But caveat is you need to be a half decent worker with some skills and education
Apr 20, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
My success rate is roughly 1/800 as a business analyst.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
621 upvotes
DT Calgary
Gboard2 wrote: Yes.. unemployment rate has plummeted to all time low and wage growth at 3.9%average now even discounting the min eave hike

Jobs are plentiful and easily found. But caveat is you need to be a half decent worker with some skills and education
Aren't you a career public sector worker? Jobs aren't any easier to find since this thread started. Mining is still down the drain and everything has stayed stagnant. Just look at how bad our stock market and dollar is.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1550 posts
1208 upvotes
Toronto
I know of quite of few people who have graduated and not landed a job since finishing school. A few folks who either left or got cut and still havent landed either. Sure things are seasonal but it feels like alot of people are looking.

And as a hiring manager- I feel like there are way more people now applying for roles vs a few years ago.
Its not clear to me that its being done because
1,it easier to just apply to everything and anything instead of folks being selective and pinpointing what they actually want
2.less jobs actually available (including less movement of people from their current role to something else).
3.More graduates flooding the job market, less retirees, and a stagnate job growth.
Jun 25, 2018
27 posts
1 upvote
How's your work experience. What are you applying for? Contracting or Salary positions?
Last edited by SeafoodMe on Jun 27th, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)