Health & Wellness

Why is Listerine Citrus-Flavored Mouthwash being discontinued in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2019 10:55 pm
[OP]
Feb 27, 2011
970 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto

Why is Listerine Citrus-Flavored Mouthwash being discontinued in Canada?

I know this question may sound trivial to some... but I am trying to solve a small mystery here...

For the past months, I notice that Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall, and Loblaws are all phasing out the citrus-flavored Listerine mouthwash. The US version of the product looks like this:

https://www.listerine.com/mouthwash/lis ... -mouthwash

The packaging for the Canadian bottles look slightly different.

For my entire family, this is the only flavor of mouthwash we could tolerate. We have been using the Life-branded version until recently when it too got discontinued by Shoppers Drug Mart. The other flavors are simply too strong for us.

We called Listerine customer support which denied any product recalls. We spoke to a few of our local pharmacists and even the store managers who know nothing why the products are being discontinued by the companies.

Does anyone know the story behind this (already Google'd this but unable to find anything on it)?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1357 upvotes
shyhermit wrote: I know this question may sound trivial to some... but I am trying to solve a small mystery here...

For the past months, I notice that Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall, and Loblaws are all phasing out the citrus-flavored Listerine mouthwash.
Does anyone know the story behind this (already Google'd this but unable to find anything on it)?
Listerine Website wrote:alcohol (21.6%)
A decent chance that the alcohol content and relatively good flavor made it just too darn attractive to those with alcohol abuse problems. In Canada, talking about such often has racial overtones because there's a certain ethnicity that unfortunately is associated with the abuse of such products.
Sep 28, 2017
636 posts
415 upvotes
i doubt it had anything to do with that. it was most likely like other things that have multiple scents/flavors that it just wasn't selling well or they are due to bring out a revised version.

just doing a google search i was able to find another person on listerine's fb page asking the same question and the answer given was that they pulled it as it wasn't selling far as well as the other flavors and they also just brought out the mouth wash drops.

these are small mint looking bits that you pop in your mouth and it dissolves turning to a liquid you use to swish around your mouth then swallow. ewww ... but they mention that citrus flavor was one of the flavors that would be in this new form.

that was their US fb page so whether or not we get them here i don't know.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Sep 28, 2017
636 posts
415 upvotes
oh, btw it looks as though it was discontinued in the states as well..... so whatever you find on amazon and local shops seems to be all there is left of stock.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2011
970 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the answers. Strange that I still can't find that page. Regardless, I am quite surprised to learn that the product is also being discontinued in the US. This is new news to me. I suppose our family has to start testing the other newer flavors now to see which ones that serve as a substitute... May be some of them can cause less irritation and stinting to the gums.
peytonpeanut2017 wrote: i doubt it had anything to do with that. it was most likely like other things that have multiple scents/flavors that it just wasn't selling well or they are due to bring out a revised version.

just doing a google search i was able to find another person on listerine's fb page asking the same question and the answer given was that they pulled it as it wasn't selling far as well as the other flavors and they also just brought out the mouth wash drops.

these are small mint looking bits that you pop in your mouth and it dissolves turning to a liquid you use to swish around your mouth then swallow. ewww ... but they mention that citrus flavor was one of the flavors that would be in this new form.

that was their US fb page so whether or not we get them here i don't know.
Sep 28, 2017
636 posts
415 upvotes
i found a site that said the citrus ones actually can lead to throat or mouth cancer with continued use. that may have had something to do with it being pulled.... who knows.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2011
970 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Can you share this reference? I find this extremely surprising...
peytonpeanut2017 wrote: i found a site that said the citrus ones actually can lead to throat or mouth cancer with continued use. that may have had something to do with it being pulled.... who knows.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1013 posts
419 upvotes
Can't answer your question but if the flavour is a problem, you could try Listerine Zero which is pretty mild
Oct 16, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
I'm in UK & it 'disappeared overnight' from the supermarket shelves over the pond too! Same with Aquafresh Total toothpaste too.

These I have used for years & years (retired now). Have emailed customer support & it is denied by both companies that their product has been discontinued.

Grrr - going to be in trouble with the dentist at next visit!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8481 posts
2277 upvotes
Mississauga
burnt69 wrote: A decent chance that the alcohol content and relatively good flavor made it just too darn attractive to those with alcohol abuse problems. In Canada, talking about such often has racial overtones because there's a certain ethnicity that unfortunately is associated with the abuse of such products.
I dont know if this is the reason but I wish they would remove alcohol from all mouthwash. I was shocked to learn the amount of alcohol in mouthwash. I have a family member that is a alcoholic and when booze was not available mouth wash was the substitute. If you dont know mouthwash can kill you.