Why Markham RE is so expensive?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 10:21 pm
Tags:
Mar 2, 2017
311 posts
343 upvotes
Markham
tosave wrote: I also second this. I used to live in Markham, then downtown To when I was in university, back to Markham, then Downsview, then now in Vaughan near Vaughan Mills mall. I like Vaughan the most. The whole area around 14th & McCowan where I used to live 99% people either Chinese or Indian. When I worked in Stouffville it was fine but it was brutal driving from Markham to 427 & Dundas when I switched work. 407 would help but that's like $400 a month 10 years ago.
You lived in what's arguably the least desirable part of Markham and then applying it to all of Markham. That's like saying all of Toronto sucks because you lived at Jane and Finch.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Mar 2, 2017
311 posts
343 upvotes
Markham
aspiretobegreat wrote: Having access to both go train and subway adds a lot of flexibility. If the go train is down, you can take subway and vice versa. You can also connect to the subway and go train via downsview park station, not just union station
This is a false sense of understanding of the practicality of transportation throughout Vaughan. I am going to assume you have limited experience with these services.
Last edited by RichmondCA on Sep 20th, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17708 posts
1248 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I live in RH and we have a 2020 Lexus in the driveway, so I'm just average for my city Face With Tears Of Joy

Anyways, the main reason we'll probably stay put in RH is because (1) high quality of schools which also aren't super-majority East Asian folks and (2) my job will probably move to mostly WFH since the Pandemic, so I don't have to bother with the Gormley GO Train line. Taking the train at Gormley all the way down to Union is a royal PITA because it's a long ride. Not as long as the Stouffville train-ride, but still long nonetheless. (we'd never live in Stouffville anyways)
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17708 posts
1248 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
RichmondCA wrote: This isn't going to sit well with most, but 407 is also a massive advantage of living in Markham. It caters to upper middle class or those who can afford 407, but being able to get to Pearson in less than 20 minutes in rush hour was awesome for me when I lived that corporate life and had to travel a lot.
while i accept that logic - for Richmond Hill and Vaughan, the 407 advantage is even better because you're already a bit closer to Pearson (and other potential driving destinations, i.e. Niagara Falls, the US border, etc.)
Oct 7, 2019
20 posts
4 upvotes
Which part of my previous post was "applying it to all Markham" or "all of Toronto"? But thanks for pointing it out, a 2200 sqft 20 yo house at your least desirable part of Markham would cost ~1.3M. A 1200 sqrt 65yo bungalow near Finch W Station would cost you ~ 1 - 1.1M now to buy. I wouldn’t pay that kind of money now to live there. For investing maybe ok.
RichmondCA wrote: You lived in what's arguably the least desirable part of Markham and then applying it to all of Markham. That's like saying all of Toronto sucks because you lived at Jane and Finch.
Last edited by tosave on Sep 20th, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 2, 2017
311 posts
343 upvotes
Markham
konfusion666 wrote: while i accept that logic - for Richmond Hill and Vaughan, the 407 advantage is even better because you're already a bit closer to Pearson (and other potential driving destinations, i.e. Niagara Falls, the US border, etc.)
Agreed, but Most of the town of Markham is in parallel to 407 meaning if you live in Markham on average you will be close to 407 unless you are in north Markham.

That doesn't apply to Richmond Hill and Vaughan which skew perpendicular to 407 and a lot of the population is further north of 407.

I've lived in Markham and I've lived in Oak Ridges in Richmond Hill, to me R Hill while a nice community logistically it's very inconvenient for car commuting compared to Markham.

Woodbridge is comparable to Markham in the way it's situated parallel to 407, it's a solid spot imo if I had to choose an alternative (my knock to Vaughan/Woodbridge is they don't have a direct route into the core like Markham has with the 404/DVP).
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12216 posts
7327 upvotes
RichmondCA wrote: Some of the best public schools in the country, low crime, high household incomes, great municipal/private amenities, low property taxes. The list is long.

Makes it one of the best places to raise a family.
This is the case for Richmond Hill, Markham, Oakville. There are some great areas with some great schools. York region has some great, well funded schools.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8585 posts
1292 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: while i accept that logic - for Richmond Hill and Vaughan, the 407 advantage is even better because you're already a bit closer to Pearson (and other potential driving destinations, i.e. Niagara Falls, the US border, etc.)
Unless you work at the airport, I’ve never heard of someone buying in Richmond Hill vs buying in Markham or even Stouffville say they bought Richmond Hill because it’s closer to the airport, Niagara Falls and/or US borders. It’s a perk for sure for that odd time you pick up or drop off relatives at the airport or the odd time you decide to drive to Niagara Falls or cross the US borders. Cheers.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 15, 2015
183 posts
196 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Markham has the high paying, high tech jobs. IBM, AMD, CGI, Qualcomm, etc all have their HQ in Markham. Vaughan, RH have none. People prefer to live close to where their jobs are located.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7660 posts
2451 upvotes
Maple
DisneyKruze wrote: Markham has the high paying, high tech jobs. IBM, AMD, CGI, Qualcomm, etc all have their HQ in Markham. Vaughan, RH have none. People prefer to live close to where their jobs are located.
I used to work one of those companies, some lived in RH, some lived in MH, some lived in Sauga. some wfh 2 days a week.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17708 posts
1248 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
DisneyKruze wrote: Markham has the high paying, high tech jobs. IBM, AMD, CGI, Qualcomm, etc all have their HQ in Markham. Vaughan, RH have none. People prefer to live close to where their jobs are located.
All those jobs you now mentioned are going WFH for the foreseeable future - which you'd know if you actually worked for any of them (former CGI consultant here) ;)

Annnd many of the choice parts of RH are within 15 min driving to the Commerce Valley Drive tech cluster, closer than much of "Markham" because of how wide it is!
Last edited by konfusion666 on Sep 20th, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17708 posts
1248 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
BTW #2 the true "high-paying tech jobs" are in downtown Toronto, not Markham...
Mar 2, 2017
311 posts
343 upvotes
Markham
Why is it that every time Markham gets brought up on RFD everyone and their mother from the surrounding suburbs feels the absolute need to measure up/tell us why x/y/z is better in their head? ffs

Realtor, Investor, CPA