Travel

Why are mexico trips cheaper for CANADIANS than MEXICANS?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2017 1:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
4067 posts
1387 upvotes

Why are mexico trips cheaper for CANADIANS than MEXICANS?

An all inclusive 7day trip to cancun can cost me 1200$ with the flight included.

For mexicans, that's the price for 3-4 days in the same hotel (NO flight included).

Now I'm wondering, would it be possible for me to pay the hotel tickets for a mexican friend? Hell, I can even pay for a package with a flight ticket that she wouldn't use, it would still be cheaper for her.

I was asking here first, but I think I'll have to call an agency.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3019 posts
1615 upvotes
Edmonton
It's more than likely a volume thing. Travel companies negotiate best prices for volume. Competion then results in lower prices. Why would a hotel in a tourist district care about the odd Mexican traveller when they can fill their hotel with Canadians?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
8736 posts
6097 upvotes
You go to Mexico for vacation, and you are making the Mexicans pay for it ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
844 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
If you go on a resorts website you will find some pretty high rates, which usually include room, meals and often drinks. The usual AI offering without the airfare.
That is the same rate you will pay if you walk in the front door without a reservation, and it is the same rate the locals will pay. The Mexicans aren't penalized anymore then the next person who walks through the door.
As has been already stated, it's about tour companies buying rooms in volume.

I've been to more than one resort that has Mexicans staying there that drove from the nearest city.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8979 posts
1577 upvotes
Toronto
When Canadians go it's an export.
Foreign dollars enter the country etc.
Got to make it more lucrative for Canadians.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4916 posts
499 upvotes
Victoria
You can get lower rates than the book rate on the website op. I've gotten smoking deals on hotel alone and booked flight separately and saved a bundle. It's downright dumb that the hotels don't have cheaper rates on their sites but it must be working for them.
Not a political sig
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
There are many choices for Canadians in the Caribbean. We can just go to the Bahamas or Cuba if Mexico is too expensive. Mexico doesn't offer anything that others don't have. It's not like it's a must-go like Italy. In fact, I'd say that Cuba is a more attractive destination.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4294 posts
1325 upvotes
Moncton
lemieux035 wrote: Mexico doesn't offer anything that others don't have.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
MonctonMan wrote:
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
def47 wrote: An all inclusive 7day trip to cancun can cost me 1200$ with the flight included.

For mexicans, that's the price for 3-4 days in the same hotel (NO flight included).

Now I'm wondering, would it be possible for me to pay the hotel tickets for a mexican friend? Hell, I can even pay for a package with a flight ticket that she wouldn't use, it would still be cheaper for her.

I was asking here first, but I think I'll have to call an agency.
Just making sure... the $1200pp you're quoting for yourself is per person. Generally speaking, when you look up the rate for the hotel, the rates listed are for the room as a whole, based on double occupancy. (Not per person) So for the same hotel to be the same price for 3-4 days for hotel only, it would have to be $2400. I find that pretty unlikely.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)