Off Topic

Why must we protect our SIN with our lives? Can someone not steal our identity using our driver's licence or passport?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2020 5:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4069 posts
1469 upvotes
Parry Sound

Why must we protect our SIN with our lives? Can someone not steal our identity using our driver's licence or passport?

Or some other piece of identification?

Why is it so important to protect the SIN and never give it out but no one worries about the other documents?
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
20 replies
Nov 22, 2017
601 posts
347 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: Or some other piece of identification?

Why is it so important to protect the SIN and never give it out but no one worries about the other documents?
I believe because it is harder to replace your sin. It takes a longer time and a more stringent verification process.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15426 posts
4594 upvotes
London
I thought there’s no process currently to change a SIN that becomes compromised.

You can get a new SIN card if it’s lost, but it has the exact same SIN as the old card

If someone else is using my drivers license number, I can get a new one issued that has a different number than the old one. The old number gets canceled, so it becomes useless to the thief.

My buddy recently went through this with Bell. He signed up for Internet, they demanded his DL number, a valid credit card and his SIN. Companies can ask for SIN, but cannot make it mandatory. The only time SIN is required is if the company is required by law to report information to the government , like your bank or employer.

The CSR refused to do the process the order without the SIN. While he called Bell, the CSR/ call centre could be anywhere in the world . It was “escalated” to a manager.who also said SIN was mandatory. My buddy then read them information off the information from the government website and said he would initiate a complaint with the privacy commissioner where the Bell CSR suddenly relented.

My only comment for my buddy - “why do you want to do business with any company that treats you like this?”
Last edited by l69norm on Feb 20th, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6749 posts
1241 upvotes
Scarborough
They dont issue cards anymore.

I still see too many people needlessly carrying their SIN cards AND the old citizenship cards in their purses and wallets....totally unnecessary and it becomes a big pain to replace and worry about potential fraud.

Only healthcard and license is ok for id purposes these days no need to carry passports or sin everywhere.

Govt needs to come up with better protection for identity theft victims.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11555 posts
6079 upvotes
Brampton
Meh
I can do all I can but I had to give it up to get OSAP and look at the awesome job the government did protecting it.
And then the banks and credit score shit holes.

I might as well just post it on the internet. It's already here anyway. If it's posted it'll be like the infamous Windows XP key.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3150 posts
1542 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What happens when credit bureau gets compromised? Hackers have all our info, then what? This world is not a safe place anymore, as everything has gone digital.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6749 posts
1241 upvotes
Scarborough
Can we blame the entire “credit system” for this? Without it the sin etc and identity theft would be pretty useless.....
Those financial institutions have made luving without credit pretty much impossible. Cant even rent an apartment bcaz they want to check credit score too
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33916 posts
19759 upvotes
Ottawa
lamboman wrote: What happens when credit bureau gets compromised? Hackers have all our info, then what? This world is not a safe place anymore, as everything has gone digital.
You have to monitor your credit profile for the rest of your life.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2327 posts
1609 upvotes

SIN only has the identification component (number) but no authentication (photo and watermarks like you find on passports and DLs). SIN was never intended to be used for the purposes it is being used today by financial institutions.
Last edited by peli33 on Feb 20th, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2327 posts
1609 upvotes
l69norm wrote: I thought there’s no process currently to change a SIN that becomes compromised.
You can have it changed but need a very good reason. Simply having your SIN compromised would not be enough. Actual damage from ID Theft would be needed.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6634 posts
323 upvotes
SIN isn't for identification, its for tax purposes. There is no reason to carry a SIN card, or to give it to anyone aside from your employer (for tax purposes), or wherever you invest to earn capital gains or interest. You don't need to give it to utility companies or credit card companies or banks when you want to get a loan.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3241 posts
1934 upvotes
Kitchener

Because those other documents are useless for getting you thing like EI, CPP, OAS, etc. SIN's are also needed for work, without one, you can't work. SIN numbers are also used by banks.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15426 posts
4594 upvotes
London
peli33 wrote: You can have it changed but need a very good reason. Simply having your SIN compromised would not be enough. Actual damage from ID Theft would be needed.
Tx for the info
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3241 posts
1934 upvotes
Kitchener
bionicbadger wrote: SIN isn't for identification, its for tax purposes. There is no reason to carry a SIN card, or to give it to anyone aside from your employer (for tax purposes), or wherever you invest to earn capital gains or interest. You don't need to give it to utility companies or credit card companies or banks when you want to get a loan.
Sadly banks will make it more difficult for you without your SIN. I guess it's an easy credit check for them.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2350 posts
1668 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote: What happens when credit bureau gets compromised? Hackers have all our info, then what? This world is not a safe place anymore, as everything has gone digital.
That has already happened.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)