• Apr 25th, 2007 2:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes

Why was my BBQed rib eye steak so dry?

The rib eyes were 1" thick, seasoned with pepper and salt, and rest for 30-45 minutes. Heat setting was max. Placed them on the grill which was pre-heated. Waited 3 minutes, rotated 90 degrees, 3 minutes, flip, 3 minutes, rotated 90 degrees. The inside was medium rare but the family does not like it so I tossed it on the grill for 1.5 minutes each side. Steaks are now medium, but were very dry. Why was it dry?
13 replies
Jun 29, 2005
906 posts
25 upvotes
Did you poke at the steak with any utensils?

What did you flip it with?

Maybe try cooking it less -- you don't HAVE to get that cross-hatched look.

Try also using a slightly thicker cut, maybe 1.5"?
xIcewind
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2511 posts
259 upvotes
Whitby
I wouldn't salt the meat so far in advance. Salt draws out moisture and this is probably the main reason the steak was dry. Season them just before you throw them on the grill.

It could have been the grade of steak you had. Rib eyes should be well marbled like this guy (it's Kobe beef):

[IMG]http://www.fairwaypacking.com/catalog/i ... in%202.jpg[/IMG]

You can see that these aren't as well marbled and could affect tenderness and flavour:

[IMG]http://www.nexternal.com/lmr/images/BonelessRibeye1.gif[/IMG]

When choosing a steak look for marbling, it makes all the difference:

[IMG]http://www.beefretail.org/deImagesBR/Be ... 0Steak.jpg[/IMG]

Also, let the steaks rest for 5 minutes before you cut into them, this give the juices a chance to redistribute throughout the meat before you cut into it.

High heat is good, don't play with the steaks as they're cooking, a rotation is fine, one flip is all that's needed. If you find they're sticking to the grill they need more time to cook, they will release (try not to rip them off the grill if they stick, they will release when they're ready).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
first, never use salt on a steak until after its cooked, second, flip only once.
letting it rest for ~5 mins after cooking will let it it cook a little bit longer once its off the grill.

of course it could have been the meat... it does happen sometimes.
That's my 2cents worth
Oct 12, 2003
439 posts
20 upvotes
Saskatoon
excellent reply brother.being a chef,i could not have said it any better.
nothing worse than spending good money on a prime cut of beef,and it does not turn out properly.
a big part of cooking imo, is all about the principles of this craft, :) not learning recipes.
learn the basics,and i believe you can do anything
Mar 12, 2006
892 posts
243 upvotes
letting it rest for 30-35min is a long time, and was it a flat surface, because a flat surface just lets the steak spill out its juice, creating a large puddle on the plate. =\ and the addition of salt prior.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
On top of the good advice that were already made, rib-eye is not really a be-all-end-all kind of deal. A poor quality rib eye can be tough too
Oct 17, 2005
158 posts
Azxster wrote: salt, and rest for 30-45 minutes.
There's your answer right there. Salt dries out meat fast, and 45 minutes is a long time. You where halfway there, 30 minutes resting with no salt would have been fine.

Rib Eyes are very tender as they are, and don't need any more tenderising.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
Did you sear both sides of the steak? When I add salt and pepper prior I throw it on the grill about 5 mintues later, don't wait that long maybe.

Was it evenly cut? Marbling? I know I bought a bulk pack rib-eye from Superstore and it wasn't tender. Why? Very little marbling.

Throwing it back onto the grill again after it's been cut into will have all your juices coming out for sure.

Pay $12, pass go, and try again :lol:
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1953 upvotes
Elmira
Salting is OK to do as long as you're throwing it on the grill right after seasoning..

Usually I would bring the box of kosher salt or whatever outside to the BBQ with me, and right before throwing them on the grill I'd quickly season BOTH (very important) sides of the steak...

On a side note, sometimes you just get unlucky.. Last night I had a $13 NY Striploin and although it looked to be a good cut of meat.. It had alot of very chewy gristle throughout the meat that I didn't notice before choosing it..

Can't win 'em all I guess!
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
I think it was because you let it sit too long. Most people don't realize that their food is still cooking after they take it off the heat. That's why pasta should be taken off a little bit sooner than your desired tenderness.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Fallen_Paladin wrote: I think it was because you let it sit too long. Most people don't realize that their food is still cooking after they take it off the heat. That's why pasta should be taken off a little bit sooner than your desired tenderness.
i believe the rest time was before cooking, not after. that is the way i read it, season, rest, cook
That's my 2cents worth
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
Keelie wrote: i believe the rest time was before cooking, not after. that is the way i read it, season, rest, cook
Ya, I just reread it, and you're probably right. Meh, I'm pretty tired so that's my excuse.
Mar 19, 2006
576 posts
24 upvotes
Burlington
Your steak may have only had an A or AA rating. I stick to AAA steaks and never have a problem with dry meat. Even when someone wants their steak well done.