Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 5, 2014
308 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Why is my gas bill so high?

I live in a less than 2000 sq ft home and my gas bill was almost $300 for the month of March. This has been the highest it's ever been since moving in here two years ago, even in the winter months, the cost hasn't been this bad. My heat is set to 75 degrees fahrenheit/24 degrees celsius. My water tank rental is included at ~$30/month.

Updated
- my house is ~30 years old
- no recent renovations completed
- located in Toronto

Help
Last edited by jm0287 on Apr 8th, 2021 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
42 replies
Jan 5, 2017
267 posts
176 upvotes
montreal
24degree setting is definitely partly to blame, that's quite high even for winter (most people set it to 21-22degC I would guess. that extra 2-3degC is expensive!).

As a reference, I'm in Montreal, and I am on equalized payments every month (meaning I pay the same per month, every month, and then there are slight adjustments done once or twice a year to cater for actual usage). So I pay about $150 every month, but obviously I dont use gas in the summer etc. If i weren't on equalized payments, I'm sure my winter months would be between $200-$300 and then spring/summer months would be $0-$100 / month.

also, $30/month for a hot water tank is a lot, be prepared for comments on that :)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21248 posts
8094 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Were your previous bills estimates and this one an actual read?
Read the bill carefully and note whether the gas usage was much higher than previous months or last year.
Was this a particularly cold winter? You can check heating degree days for March compared to other months compared to other years.

Finally did you make any change to your home, structurally or is there any new damage or air leakage? Did you replace any appliance that goes through a wall or ceiling (piping, chimneys, light fixtures, is your attic hatch sealed tight?). Are all your windows tightly closed?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Nov 30, 2005
353 posts
191 upvotes
North York
jm0287 wrote: I live in a less than 2000 sq ft home and my gas bill was almost $300 for the month of March. This has been the highest it's ever been since moving in here two years ago, even the winter months aren't that bad. My heat is set to 75 degrees fahrenheit/24 degrees celsius. My water tank rental is included at ~$30/month

Help
That seems very high... my house is 3k sqf and I have mine auto set with ecobee at 23 and it's about 130 a month or so.. check if you put your furnace filter in the right way and not cuasing your furnace to work extra hard andor tripping.. embarrassing but it happened to me....

I've also juat changed my furnace 2 years ago to Japanese brand 2 stage so that helped reduce my bill about 25%
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35743 posts
21854 upvotes
Center of Universe
MrDiscount wrote: That seems very high... my house is 3k sqf and I have mine auto set with ecobee at 23 and it's about 130 a month or so.. check if you put your furnace filter in the right way and not cuasing your furnace to work extra hard andor tripping.. embarrassing but it happened to me....

I've also juat changed my furnace 2 years ago to Japanese brand 2 stage so that helped reduce my bill about 25%
What brand?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12804 posts
9546 upvotes
GTA, ON
24°C is high, so $300 in a month depending on how cold the outdoor temperature was and how often you keep it at that set temperature could be accurate.

My highest bill this season was $178 in February when the GTA went through a winter snap. I only keep mine set at 20°C but I have someone home all day, so it's set at that temperature from 730am to 11pm (15hrs), and then set at 18°C at night. 2400sqft

Check your bill:
Is this an ESTIMATED month or ACTUAL usage month?

If it's an estimated month, your next bill will be much lower when the correct for actual usage numbers.

If is an actual usage month, check the given meter reading and check it against the meter. It's always a possibility the guy that comes around and records the reading may have written down the number wrong.
Last edited by chimaican on Apr 8th, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18613 upvotes
Oakville
24C is pretty high. Mine is set to 20C when home, 16C while away during the day, and 19C at night.
How old is your home?
How much attic insulation do you have?
Are you sure all windows closed?
Is your bill an estimate? Is it making up for a previous estimate?
Does it include the past 2 months?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12804 posts
9546 upvotes
GTA, ON
engineered wrote: Is your bill an estimate? Is it making up for a previous estimate?
That's my thinking too.
OP location is marked as Toronto, so if his February month was estimate & March was actual, then the March bill will be higher to make up for the possible lower bill from the February cold snap.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1343 posts
1274 upvotes
Clarington, ON
seanns32 wrote:

also, $30/month for a hot water tank is a lot, be prepared for comments on that :)

$30 a month for a 50 gal powervent through Enercare is the going rate within Ontario.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18613 upvotes
Oakville
KevinM56081 wrote: $30 a month for a 50 gal powervent through Enercare is the going rate within Ontario.
That's correct. Still a rip-off though.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10390 posts
5604 upvotes
Paris
KevinM56081 wrote: $30 a month for a 50 gal powervent through Enercare is the going rate within Ontario.
I feel like I was paying at least that before I dumped them 10 years ago.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1343 posts
1274 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Jerico wrote: I feel like I was paying at least that before I dumped them 10 years ago.
Bigger tank maybe? Pretty sure mine is a 50 gal, and definitely PV. I just bought it out. Hopefully I can ride the old pig out for a few years. I remember it being in the low-mid $20 a month range when we bought the house about 10 years ago. Last bill it was $31.45 + HST. Tax return had just come in so sent them packing
[OP]
Nov 5, 2014
308 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto, ON
seanns32 wrote: 24degree setting is definitely partly to blame, that's quite high even for winter (most people set it to 21-22degC I would guess. that extra 2-3degC is expensive!).

As a reference, I'm in Montreal, and I am on equalized payments every month (meaning I pay the same per month, every month, and then there are slight adjustments done once or twice a year to cater for actual usage). So I pay about $150 every month, but obviously I dont use gas in the summer etc. If i weren't on equalized payments, I'm sure my winter months would be between $200-$300 and then spring/summer months would be $0-$100 / month.

I've been living in the tropics and didn't even realize it. Thanks for the advice, I've dropped down to 21 degC.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2014
308 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MrDiscount wrote:
That seems very high... my house is 3k sqf and I have mine auto set with ecobee at 23 and it's about 130 a month or so.. check if you put your furnace filter in the right way and not cuasing your furnace to work extra hard andor tripping.. embarrassing but it happened to me....

I need to get a nest or ecobee.
Just double checked and changed the filter!

Way to go on the furnace change, that's a great save. How old is your home? Have you checked if you qualify for an energy star rating?
[OP]
Nov 5, 2014
308 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chimaican wrote: 24°C is high, so $300 in a month depending on how cold the outdoor temperature was and how often you keep it at that set temperature could be accurate.

My highest bill this season was $178 in February when the GTA went through a winter snap. I only keep mine set at 20°C but I have someone home all day, so it's set at that temperature from 730am to 11pm (15hrs), and then set at 18°C at night. 2400sqft

Check your bill:
Is this an ESTIMATED month or ACTUAL usage month?

If it's an estimated month, your next bill will be much lower when the correct for actual usage numbers.

If is an actual usage month, check the given meter reading and check it against the meter. It's always a possibility the guy that comes around and records the reading may have written down the number wrong.
I believe it is an actual based on the attached screenshot. Other than this I couldn't find any reference on whether this is an actual or estimate on my Enercare bill.
Images
  • upload.jpg
[OP]
Nov 5, 2014
308 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote: 24C is pretty high. Mine is set to 20C when home, 16C while away during the day, and 19C at night.
How old is your home?
How much attic insulation do you have?
Are you sure all windows closed?
Is your bill an estimate? Is it making up for a previous estimate?
Home is about 30 years old
Not certain on the attic insulation
Windows are always closed
I believe my bill is an actual, perhaps making up for a precious estimate. How do I verify?
I was hoping it included the past two months! Lol
Sep 4, 2006
994 posts
664 upvotes
Ottawa
Turn down the heat, simple as that. I run 19 C when I'm home, 17C at night and when away. Same size house, built 1987, most expensive bill was $130 for a month this winter.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10390 posts
5604 upvotes
Paris
KevinM56081 wrote: Bigger tank maybe? Pretty sure mine is a 50 gal, and definitely PV. I just bought it out. Hopefully I can ride the old pig out for a few years. I remember it being in the low-mid $20 a month range when we bought the house about 10 years ago. Last bill it was $31.45 + HST. Tax return had just come in so sent them packing
I was between a 40 and 50 power vent. Some of my neighbours had water furnaces and massive hot water tanks so they were paying $60+tax for theirs. Could be just our area is expensive as a tank only last around 12 years, even with soft water.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21248 posts
8094 upvotes
Socially Distanced
You want to see if January and February were actual or estimated as well.
It should say on the bill if you scrutinize it carefully.

The 24ºC is high but i would guess it adds at most 5-10% onto the bill, so $15-30 savings by lowering it is probably what you are looking at.
I think 22ish is fine but if you like 24 then its no big deal.

If you think the bill is too high for the amount of cold you had and the last few bills are all actual then find an old bill with similar
Heating Degree days (HDD) and compare to see if you have some new source of heat loss somewhere.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Sep 4, 2006
994 posts
664 upvotes
Ottawa
I should also note that I run a Sensi, and I can look at my heating hours through the app.