Automotive

Why are Napa brake pads/rotors more expensive then on rock auto?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 12:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1921 posts
651 upvotes
ORLEANS

Why are Napa brake pads/rotors more expensive then on rock auto?

Looking to buy 4 coated rotors and 4 pads but looking on rockauto akebono proACT ultra premium pads and raybestos coated rotors comes out to $320 before shipping and taxes but on Napa auto parts it costs almost $700 before taxes and shipping.
Napa includes premium coated rotors and premium line brake pads.

How come such a big price difference? Are Napa that much better?
33 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
Some people like to deal with physical stores so they don't have to deal with shipping and waiting.
Some people also like to deal with physical stores so they can exchange quickly if there is a problem.
Of course, this convenience comes with a price.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7815 posts
6274 upvotes
Ottawa
BDSL wrote: Some people like to deal with physical stores so they don't have to deal with shipping and waiting.
Some people also like to deal with physical stores so they can exchange quickly if there is a problem.
Pretty much this is it. Napa is free to charge whatever it can get from the local market. It's more than just convenience to have Napa nearby if you have your vehicle up on a hoist with the wheels already off when you discover you need new brakes. I've been buying brakes through Rockauto for years because I plan ahead.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1921 posts
651 upvotes
ORLEANS
BDSL wrote: Some people like to deal with physical stores so they don't have to deal with shipping and waiting.
Both those 2 are online price shipped to me.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
824 upvotes
Forget Napa, go with RockAuto.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12914 posts
7671 upvotes
Brampton
It's just the way things are in Canada. The market just happens to be this way.

Why are the equivalent parts cheaper in the US even at the dealers, Napa or Autozone even after accounting for exchange rate?
It's a huge part of why Americans can keep junkers on the road for so long or why Youtubers like ChrisFixIt can even have a channel.

RockAuto is competing against local American Retailers we're lucky they ship to Canada using competitive rates.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1921 posts
651 upvotes
ORLEANS
So both the quality is about the same?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
You really want to get your nickers in a bunch? Those Napa prices are for retail, if a garage calls them they get the Shop Rate and its closer to the Rock Auto price.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8421 posts
5300 upvotes
Mississauga
Lotta mouths to feed over here: supplier, warehouse, jobber, retailer. Each one wants their piece.
Nov 18, 2012
328 posts
275 upvotes
Oshawa
I use Hot Spot Auto for my parts if i need them asap. Great guys to deal with at my local store. Never have a restocking charge if something I buy needs to be returned because the part was not needed but purchased 'just incase' . I have bought from Amazon and Rock Auto if planning ahead. They usually are cheaper then any brick/mortar store.
Another local parts place in my area... I had the guy scream at me over the phone when asked why he was massively over priced on a AC Delco front wheel hub after I mentioned amazon and Rock Auto were way cheaper with shipping. I got the same one on Amazon for way way cheaper and shipped amazon prime in a few days. He lost his Sh*t when I offered to pay a little above what the others wanted to help a local guy out and buy from him. I had to hang up as I got a lecture on how Amazon is doing them in.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Zoomer Wireless
Aug 18, 2013
313 posts
572 upvotes
Next door
sandalwood wrote: I use Hot Spot Auto for my parts if i need them asap. Great guys to deal with at my local store. Never have a restocking charge if something I buy needs to be returned because the part was not needed but purchased 'just incase' . I have bought from Amazon and Rock Auto if planning ahead. They usually are cheaper then any brick/mortar store.
Another local parts place in my area... I had the guy scream at me over the phone when asked why he was massively over priced on a AC Delco front wheel hub after I mentioned amazon and Rock Auto were way cheaper with shipping. I got the same one on Amazon for way way cheaper and shipped amazon prime in a few days. He lost his Sh*t when I offered to pay a little above what the others wanted to help a local guy out and buy from him. I had to hang up as I got a lecture on how Amazon is doing them in.
My last Moog hub and bearing was ordered at Amazon Canada and shipped in 3-4 days to my door in southern Ontario from a Detroit warehouse. Price was exactly as expected. Probably a way for Amazon to bypass all the middlemen here putting on a 50% markup. Price was CDN $131 plus tax delivered compared to nearly $200 plus tax at Parts Source.

FYI, Canadian Tire matched an NTK sensor from Amazon which knocked it down to $51 from their regular of $74. Worth a shot checking CT. Parts Source would not match Amazon at all.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7836 posts
4634 upvotes
West GTEH!
Try partsavatar.ca. They have bricks & mortar stores. And they also ship parts.

Not sure if they have the same parts you’re looking for.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7836 posts
4634 upvotes
West GTEH!
notunknown wrote: My last Moog hub and bearing was ordered at Amazon Canada and shipped in 3-4 days to my door in southern Ontario from a Detroit warehouse. Price was exactly as expected. Probably a way for Amazon to bypass all the middlemen here putting on a 50% markup. Price was CDN $131 plus tax delivered compared to nearly $200 plus tax at Parts Source.

FYI, Canadian Tire matched an NTK sensor from Amazon which knocked it down to $51 from their regular of $74. Worth a shot checking CT. Parts Source would not match Amazon at all.
You didn’t have to pay for duties/custom fees at the Border since it was being delivered from Detroit?
😎
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2571 posts
3481 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Webhead wrote: You didn’t have to pay for duties/custom fees at the Border since it was being delivered from Detroit?
Usually states before you order if duty being paid up front is required.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15095 upvotes
Napa in Canada has rarely ever been a good place to buy car parts from. I think I've shopped there maybe 3-4 times in the course of decades; one was actually pretty recently, but that's mainly because they have things that other places don't and the border has been closed for a year and a half :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2588 posts
1493 upvotes
Ontario
I just bought almost all of the fluids I need to change everything in my car front to back from Napa a few months ago (oil, ps, tc, trans, diffs.) They had a great sale on almost everything I needed over a few months so I gathered it all up and went to town. Was about 1/2 the price from sourcing the fluids out elsewhere and got them all from one store! Just gotta watch for sales at Napa and you can get good deals...
Last edited by IcarusLSC on Aug 15th, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Aug 18, 2013
313 posts
572 upvotes
Next door
Webhead wrote: You didn’t have to pay for duties/custom fees at the Border since it was being delivered from Detroit?
Zero extra charge.

It was ordered from Amazon Canada and all I paid was HST on top of the CDN $ price on the website. Amazon is looking after all the border costs and including it in the price. If I hadn’t looked closely at the shipping label I would never have known it originated in the US.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2570 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
A good friend of the family who has been in the auto parts business for 40 yrs... Summed it up well. In Canada we get charged what the manufacturers THINK we will PAY (he does too compared to what he knows American owners pay) Sadly since as a rule we meekly, PAY through the nose and do not complain. The manufacturers give us the privilege to pay lots and lots more than the U.S. customer will ever have to.

Some other things to consider are. The prices most people get from Napa and other similar parts suppliers is the walk in counter "retail" price. On any given day a "successful" parts supplier sales total would be much higher to garages and dealerships than from walk in. Like 85% to 15%. The garages and dealerships get the same parts/items at a "discount" which used to be 25 to 30%. Also to earn that business the parts house has to deliver the items meaning they need a fleet of vehicles and a number of drivers. They also have to carry the cost for up to 90 days. Assuming they have a deal for 30 days same as cash. Since they bill the dealer at the end of the month the garage/dealer usually waits until the end of the next month, finally looks at the invoice and then pays it sometime in the 3rd month if the parts house is lucky.

So when you realize that if the parts house was NOT making money off the "discount" price with all the extra over head attached to earning those sales. It does not take a genius to realize when they get the counter price they are KILLING it.

All this will be irrelevant in 10 yrs though because as the EV fans on here know they NEVER require parts or maintenance LOL.
Aug 18, 2013
313 posts
572 upvotes
Next door
Canuck2fan wrote: A good friend of the family who has been in the auto parts business for 40 yrs... Summed it up well. In Canada we get charged what the manufacturers THINK we will PAY (he does too compared to what he knows American owners pay) Sadly since as a rule we meekly, PAY through the nose and do not complain. The manufacturers give us the privilege to pay lots and lots more than the U.S. customer will ever have to.

Some other things to consider are. The prices most people get from Napa and other similar parts suppliers is the walk in counter "retail" price. On any given day a "successful" parts supplier sales total would be much higher to garages and dealerships than from walk in. Like 85% to 15%. The garages and dealerships get the same parts/items at a "discount" which used to be 25 to 30%. Also to earn that business the parts house has to deliver the items meaning they need a fleet of vehicles and a number of drivers. They also have to carry the cost for up to 90 days. Assuming they have a deal for 30 days same as cash. Since they bill the dealer at the end of the month the garage/dealer usually waits until the end of the next month, finally looks at the invoice and then pays it sometime in the 3rd month if the parts house is lucky.

So when you realize that if the parts house was NOT making money off the "discount" price with all the extra over head attached to earning those sales. It does not take a genius to realize when they get the counter price they are KILLING it.

All this will be irrelevant in 10 yrs though because as the EV fans on here know they NEVER require parts or maintenance LOL.
Thanks for sharing his perspective.

So is it the manufacturers getting away with higher prices and not multiple Canadian middle men putting on exorbitant markups along the way?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19455 posts
22573 upvotes
GTA
Canuck2fan wrote: All this will be irrelevant in 10 yrs though because as the EV fans on here know they will require far fewer parts or maintenance.
Fixed that for you.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.