Sports & Recreation

Why NBA/NHL seldom have foreign owners? Any discrimination?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2021 1:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 22, 2019
535 posts
119 upvotes

Why NBA/NHL seldom have foreign owners? Any discrimination?

I watched European soccer, and foreign investors played a very positive role in professional sports.

Manchester City, Chealsea, Inter Milan, Liverpool, Everton were all owned by foreign investors, maybe Paris St. Germain as well.

Why NBA/NHL seldom have foreign investors that controls the team? Is it due to discrimination? I only know Brooklyn Nets were owned by a Chinese boss (he might be a Canadian as well), and Sacramento Kings were owned by Indian businesses.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
9297 posts
3494 upvotes
Mississauga
No. No discrimination.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45852 posts
8848 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Nba nhl north american dominated sports , thus North American owners.
Tsai the owner of brooklyn nets has most of his ties in usa and Canada. Just because youre asian doesnt mean your foreign. He is more Canadian than anything.

Soccer is an international sport, thus internationAl owners…

Very cAptain obvious answer but its true.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9380 posts
3899 upvotes
Of course not. The current owner of the team has to be willing to sell and the NBA has to approve the final sale.

NBA Franchises cost billions of dollars and foreign potential owners probably have more local interests.

If a foreign buyer wants to move an NBA team to Australia, the sale would get vetoed because the logistics of flying American teams to Australia would be a scheduling nightmare. A lot of NBA players don't even like going through additional wait times and customs when traveling to Toronto.
[OP]
May 22, 2019
535 posts
119 upvotes
NBA is not an international sports? I thought half of the revenue were from overseas.

The atmosphere in Vancouver is very suitable for a Arabic or Asian owner to establish a team there. Maybe another NBA team in Toronto.

I was thinking another NBA team in Silicon Valley like San Jose or Fremont, CA. The atmosphere in Silicon Valley is also very suitable for a foreign owner. In general, I hope some foreign owners can buy some NBA/NHL teams this year, since a lot of owners are struggling. This is a good time to bring in some foreign cultures.

I know that Houston Rockets were looking for some investors, but Houston is not suitable for foreigner to live there currently.
UrbanPoet wrote: Nba nhl north american dominated sports , thus North American owners.
Tsai the owner of brooklyn nets has most of his ties in usa and Canada. Just because youre asian doesnt mean your foreign. He is more Canadian than anything.

Soccer is an international sport, thus internationAl owners…

Very cAptain obvious answer but its true.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14215 posts
8308 upvotes
Toronto
ilovetoyota wrote: NBA is not an international sports? I thought half of the revenue were from overseas.

The atmosphere in Vancouver is very suitable for a Arabic or Asian owner to establish a team there. Maybe another NBA team in Toronto.

I was thinking another NBA team in Silicon Valley like San Jose or Fremont, CA. The atmosphere in Silicon Valley is also very suitable for a foreign owner. In general, I hope some foreign owners can buy some NBA/NHL teams this year, since a lot of owners are struggling. This is a good time to bring in some foreign cultures.

I know that Houston Rockets were looking for some investors, but Houston is not suitable for foreigner to live there currently.
The Vancouver Grizzlies were an abject failure and relocated to Memphis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver ... to_Memphis

The first four Grizzlies seasons had given average attendance in the middle third of the league. However, the last two seasons saw a reduction to among the league's lowest attendances; participating reasons were the team's poor performance and the 1998–99 NBA lockout. Contributing to the conditions for relocation were a weak Canadian dollar, unwillingness of some U.S. players to live in Canada, and lack of fan attendance.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2802 posts
1827 upvotes
NHL prefers local long term owners well rooted in respective communities. I would not expect a lot foreign interest in hockey anyway. Expansion which yielded Vegas had a global callout but no foreigner submitted bids.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6310 posts
2342 upvotes
There are quite a few Jewish owners in the NBA, though not necessarily "foreign" but I think they are considered people of colour?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45852 posts
8848 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
HP_John wrote: There are quite a few Jewish owners in the NBA, though not necessarily "foreign" but I think they are considered people of colour?
I don't think it works that way.
Its kind of like how gays get discriminated. But they arent a race.
Jewish is a religion.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6310 posts
2342 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: NBA is not an international sports? I thought half of the revenue were from overseas.

Houston has a huge Vietnamese population, with a huge "Little Saigon". I heard its now the largest Vietnamese population in any city in the world outside of Vietnam
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6310 posts
2342 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I don't think it works that way.
Its kind of like how gays get discriminated. But they arent a race.
Jewish is a religion.
Jews are a religion & arguably a ethnicity/race (often disputed). Its not so cut & dry, but Israel uses DNA tests to confirm a person's Jewishness. Some people consider Jews "white" (including some/many Jews) while others dispute that, so I understand that maybe they are not considered "people of colour"