Boxing Day Discussion 2022

Why no Bestbuy flyer?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2023 4:59 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20561 posts
9077 upvotes
Toronto

Why no Bestbuy flyer?

I think it's stupid they are not doing a flyer or even an online flyer.
35 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2006
2177 posts
2094 upvotes
Poor choice by BB.

Saving pennies, yet no improvements on its image especially online ... Best Buy for what???
ie eliminating weekly paper flyer is good for cost saving but online is so bad, virtually have to search and search for the 'promo' if any.

Eventually, I hardly shop at BB, both in-store and online. Waste of time and efforts most times even poor customer services.

I can say that BB is heading to the stage of closure (bankruptcy) due to poor sales both regular and holiday.
Life is full of twists.
Stay flexible.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7558 posts
8324 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah it's actually pretty insane that Best Buy's flyer "solution" was to get rid of flyers *entirely* - not just printed ones. Basically if it wasn't for StockTrack it'd be impossible to casually find any deals on the website at this point.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20561 posts
9077 upvotes
Toronto
I don't expect physical flyers but at least an online flyer for weekly deals at least Boxing day deals. How am I supposed to sort through the mess of the site unless I am looking for something specific! Really poor business decision.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
3804 posts
3192 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Flyers have been gone at BB for a while now. Probably saves them money and everything is searchable on their website.

Their Cell plan deals aren't that great... I expected more.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20561 posts
9077 upvotes
Toronto
Gibsons wrote: Flyers have been gone at BB for a while now. Probably saves them money and everything is searchable on their website.

Their Cell plan deals aren't that great... I expected more.
I understand that but during Black Friday and Boxing Day it would help get more sales.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
3804 posts
3192 upvotes
Southern Ontario
carmaster wrote: I understand that but during Black Friday and Boxing Day it would help get more sales.
I don't think they care at the brick and mortar stores, which will be packed with people with free Xmas cash.

Discounting the piss out of items doesn't make a store money, usually. Buying a TV near invoice price doesn't help them, but buying that extended warranty is pure profit.

I don't have all the inside information on how these stores work, but that Flyer has been gone for a while now. Getting rid of the people who made the flyer, saves them money. It's all on the website anyway.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 31, 2007
12768 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
I was just on bestbuy website looking for the flyer, thought I was blind or browser was messed up. Saw this post
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7558 posts
8324 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Gibsons wrote: Flyers have been gone at BB for a while now. Probably saves them money and everything is searchable on their website.

Their Cell plan deals aren't that great... I expected more.
Everything may be searchable but the way they have things set up now absolutely does not lend itself to people making impulse purchases.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
3804 posts
3192 upvotes
Southern Ontario
chemicalxv wrote: Everything may be searchable but the way they have things set up now absolutely does not lend itself to people making impulse purchases.
I don't think Best Buy is the place for impulse purchases anyway... it's not the little candy aisle right by the checkout at the grocery store. The amount of physical flyers I see nowadays has shrunk to basically Canadian Tire and grocery chains. Seems like a bold move to get rid of the online flyer for BB, but I understand it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7558 posts
8324 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Gibsons wrote: I don't think Best Buy is the place for impulse purchases anyway... it's not the little candy aisle right by the checkout at the grocery store. The amount of physical flyers I see nowadays has shrunk to basically Canadian Tire and grocery chains. Seems like a bold move to get rid of the online flyer for BB, but I understand it.
It absolutely is, are you kidding me? Every retail store wants to increase their attach rate and average $ per transaction value. Just because it's online and it's not $1.50 chocolate bars or $1 packs of gum at the checkout doesn't mean they aren't trying to do it.

But absolutely no one is going to sift through thousands of "on sale" items to do it.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13434 posts
8807 upvotes
Markham
I guess their rationale is if amazon doesn't need flyers, why do we need?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
3804 posts
3192 upvotes
Southern Ontario
chemicalxv wrote: It absolutely is, are you kidding me? Every retail store wants to increase their attach rate and average $ per transaction value. Just because it's online and it's not $1.50 chocolate bars or $1 packs of gum at the checkout doesn't mean they aren't trying to do it.

But absolutely no one is going to sift through thousands of "on sale" items to do it.
Majority of product sales are online anyway... just like the other poster said, you don't see Amazon putting out flyers.

Have you been to Best Buy's website? Hit the 3 lines on the left side and it takes you to categories or you search for what you are looking for. If my 75 year old mother can find anything on her smartphone through Google and BB's website, I don't think a flyer is necessary. I still get a few flyers in my mailbox that go straight into the Red box without getting read, I don't know what the big deal is at this point.
Yes, RFD has a sponsored thread for them with a Link to the sales.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1772 posts
1071 upvotes
Wallet saved. No flyers means I buy specific items only. If I see a flyer I might buy stupid crap I wouldn't usually pay attention to.
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2013
609 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
They sent an email this morning.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7558 posts
8324 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
66xx66 wrote: Wallet saved. No flyers means I buy specific items only. If I see a flyer I might buy stupid crap I wouldn't usually pay attention to.
This is largely the point I'm getting at. The fact that even a company like Walmart still understands this (and they haven't reduced their flyers down to simply being grocery flyers) says a lot.

Best Buy's decision just comes across as solely trying to cut down labour costs.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
3804 posts
3192 upvotes
Southern Ontario
chemicalxv wrote: This is largely the point I'm getting at. The fact that even a company like Walmart still understands this (and they haven't reduced their flyers down to simply being grocery flyers) says a lot.

Best Buy's decision just comes across as solely trying to cut down labour costs.
Walmart made $573 Billion in 2022... Best Buy was teetering on bankruptcy a few years ago. I think there's a difference if one actually looks deeper.

I don't know all the reasons why they turfed it but I'm sure the bean counters there know more about their business than most of us do. Amazon almost put them under, I'm not surprised that they are copying some of what made Amazon the industry standard.

If I counted how many times this year I looked at a flyer, it wouldn't be that much. If that's the only way someone shops, then they aren't with the times. Boxing Day sales are pretty underwhelming anyway.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
1806 posts
2579 upvotes
Best Buy BF / BD / BW "Sale Prices" have been anemic at best. Suppliers drive MAPs (Minimum Advertising Pricing) and Samsung, Apple, etc decide discount levels (which were poor). Perhaps an intent to end the year with slightly better margins. Inflation (more specifically shipping costs) likely didn't allow for lower margins and the general mediocre "Sale Prices" have magnified this.

Anecdotally, from my physical/web browsing, several retailers didn't sell out of stock. Few "must have" items were sold out.

"Deal Hunters" know how poor most seasonal deal offers were and simply pumping out a "Boxing Day / Week" flyer with anemic offers looks anti-climactic. Almost none of the product categories demonstrated any spotlight and when price errors or clearance items come up, the "RFD effect" takes care of promotion.

When I review most "flyer efforts" this (past) year, they simply magnify how poor pricing offers were. Save for LD website with an extra 50% at checkout with decent merchandise in Nov (BF), I didn't see retailers trying to aggressively corral year-end sales.

Typically, I look for Electronics in Jan>Mar as this is when non-moving inventory items get (serious) mark downs. January CES (Consumer Electronics Show) introduces "new" models for shipment beginning April, so most left over Dec Retailer stock has to be sold from Jan-Mar.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
6034 posts
5854 upvotes
Vancouver
It's the same way Amazon doesn't need a flyer. Best Buy wants to drive traffic. They want customers to browse, sort prices from low to high, check other categories, instead of looking at the flyer only and going to another retailer.

Best Buy isn't trying to target the gramps that are shopping at Walmart.

Flyers also lock in prices. We saw that this BF. Amazon matching conventional retailers like No Frills on AirPods. Then Bell doing $99 to beat everyone else.

Use logic, guys. A static flyer costs nothing to create. A couple of interns studying in art school can create it. If Best Buy wanted to cut costs, it's not where they would do it.

Top