Cell Phones

Why no discounted phones like they offer in the US via prepaid carriers?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 1:05 pm
[OP]
Apr 25, 2019
858 posts
1504 upvotes
YXE, Sask.

Why no discounted phones like they offer in the US via prepaid carriers?

I'm wondering why there's no prepaid carrier in Canada that offers super discounted phones like in the US? The closest thing I can think of is 7Eleven Speakout, where they offer discounted phone when you buy a top up card. Is there such a thing as this in Canada? Examples of US carriers include Metro, Cricket, and Boost Mobile.
Public Mobile 15 GB $33 (with grandfathered rewards program)
Samsung Galaxy A53 owner.
2 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21002 posts
10514 upvotes
Oakville
My guess would be because Canada's population is 1/10 the size of the US, and economies of scale make it such that it's not financially feasible for our prepaid providers to offer something like this.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19030 posts
6402 upvotes
Toronto
Aren't many of these USA phones locked to the carrier including Boost? It's been a while since I had to unlock a phone but, when dealing with USA iPhones, getting them unlocked could be a nightmare unless you stay with the carrier for 1 year. Here is Boost's unlocking policy: https://www.boostmobile.com/about/legal/regulatory.html

General Eligibility for Unlocking

Boost Mobile will assist with unlocking a device under the following circumstances:

The device is SIM unlock capable
The device has not been reported as lost or stolen or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
The device has been active on the associated account for at least 12 months
The associated account is active and in good standing

AT&T requires 6 months of paid service: https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1262649/

Is an AT&T PREPAIDSM phone that has had paid service for at least 6 months.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)