Why no more Walmart Grocery deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2021 2:46 pm
Aug 29, 2016
364 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto

Why no more Walmart Grocery deals?

I was doing an online grocery order at Walmart today and noticed they don't have any sales like they have for as long as I can remember.

For example, the chicken breast is $11ea but if you bought 2, you get them both for $20- not there anymore.
Or the buy 2 cheese, save a dollar, buy multiple cereals etc.

Any idea why that is? I found it strange
9 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
explorer11 wrote: Corporate Greed
Exactly.

Another reason though is transportation costs are starting to increase so less things will be on sale.
Jun 26, 2007
218 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
I still see sales on the website including the 2 chicken breast packages for $20 deal and the 3 for $9 cereal box deal. Perhaps there was just an issue with the Walmart website when you checked?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
In the cart the items will be regular price but at right, under "Subtotal" there is a line "Applied Discounts" where the multibuy savings will show up.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
They did away with their flyers briefly last year and then brought them back. Also eliminated price matching. The Walmarts in my city are like a fortress now with gates to the entrance and exits and an attendant to check your receipt (like Costco). They were also one of the first to offer per unit pricing on meat (rather than by weight). I prefer to buy meat per lb/kg so I never look at that section.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Walmart clearance is pretty worthwhile. They mark down a lot of meat & deli far before it expires. they also tend to have a clearance rack in store that they use in part of promote new products & get people to try them. It is worthwhile going in-store. You cannot get these deals online.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
high gas prices are starting to cause more inflation, prices going up
Those taxes in the name of climate change etc are coming, if not already here. Good luck to all of us
Aug 29, 2016
364 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
edit: I guess you have to actually click on the item to see the sale as opposed to before, it would show on the item list page
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Mars2012 wrote: The Walmarts in my city are like a fortress now with gates to the entrance and exits and an attendant to check your receipt (like Costco).
Wow. That hasn't come to my neck o the woods yet.
They were also one of the first to offer per unit pricing on meat (rather than by weight). I prefer to buy meat per lb/kg so I never look at that section.
[/quote]

It can work to your advantage if you rummage for the heaviest. Once saw chicken packs range from `0.7 - 1.1 Kg.

lecale wrote: Walmart clearance is pretty worthwhile. They mark down a lot of meat & deli far before it expires. they also tend to have a clearance rack in store that they use in part of promote new products & get people to try them. It is worthwhile going in-store. You cannot get these deals online.
Meat not sure much. I guess it depends on store. Mine is pretty bad for mark downs. I did get some shelf stable stuff cheap a couple of weeks ago though.
apnayloags wrote: high gas prices are starting to cause more inflation, prices going up
Those taxes in the name of climate change etc are coming, if not already here.
More likely labour shortage and higher wage rates. Seems we have a shortage of truckers too. Those who are in the industry are even older than nurses on average.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada-truck-dr ... -1.6198830
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China