Automotive

Why not to let a friend drive your car and why wearing a seatbelt is smart.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 9:20 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54094 posts
19000 upvotes

Why not to let a friend drive your car and why wearing a seatbelt is smart.

Crazy times. Also why I would suggest to buy vehicles with electronic stability control.

Mississauga street race let friend drive her car
Two friends — one a Brampton resident, the other from Milton — face street racing charges in the horrific crash on Monday night that killed 19-year-old York University student Rabab Arshad.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/0 ... r-car.html
34 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1118 posts
1109 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein
Koodo $40 13GB!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34550 posts
20595 upvotes
Center of Universe
Sad times.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1045 posts
1097 upvotes
Most people get one chance at life and there's always something stupid along the way to ruin their's and somebody else's lives (either through death, bad disfigurement, and/or criminal charges). I'm gonna guess those group of people will no longer be "friends".
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5819 posts
2946 upvotes
Mississauga
We’ve had mandatory searbelt laws for what, 30+ years, and yet some people still don’t buckle up.

Glad they threw the book at the drivers involved.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34490 posts
4039 upvotes
Winnipeg
mrweather wrote: We’ve had mandatory searbelt laws for what, 30+ years, and yet some people still don’t buckle up.

the intelligence of people entering university is going downhill.
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
186 posts
132 upvotes
Alleged driver's name is Muhammad.

Crazy reckless driver.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19243 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: We’ve had mandatory searbelt laws for what, 30+ years, and yet some people still don’t buckle up.

I'm guessing this is a 'stupid Canadian regulation' they're not used to following where they're from, so they didn't here.

Back when I was that age people (not me though) street raced, but they were at least respectful enough to do it on the abandoned industrial back roads by the offices near the AMC Winston Churchill theatre in cars that could handle it. Doing it on a crowded street in the busiest part of Mississauga is so incredibly stupid and disrespectful I'm close to saying the people involved deserved what happened to them.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6512 posts
6021 upvotes
Richmond Hill
konsensei wrote: she wasn't wearing seatbelt?
Not explicitly stated, but:
"Arshad, a York University student, was thrown from the vehicle and was pronounced dead at the scene"
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8524 upvotes
Toronto
Some friends, needs more enemies.
Two friends — one a Brampton resident, the other from Milton — face street racing charges in the horrific crash on Monday night that killed 19-year-old York University student Rabab Arshad.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6830 posts
5732 upvotes
North York
aeba7 wrote: Not explicitly stated, but:
"Arshad, a York University student, was thrown from the vehicle and was pronounced dead at the scene"
then I "think" she was in on it too, not that innocent, was she. Anyone who gets into a car would put on a seatbelt.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8524 upvotes
Toronto
They'll get off scott free. I posted this in the qew crash thread.
koffey wrote: I bet nothing happens to them. If anything, I think they'll toss the book at this guy. Remember the 18yr in the merc that slammed into a taxi and killed the taxi driver. I believe it was on mt.pleasant. Off with a slap on the wrist. The article even indicated that Need for Speed was found in the back seat of the parents destroyed car.

Yep, found it:

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-stor ... of-cabbie/

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2007/0 ... _time.html
Those guys are driving again today, so if anything, these knuckle heads lolyer needs to research the internet on how to get them off. Wait, I should be their lolyer and change tens of thousands.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯