Cell Phones

Why are people still going with the big 3 telcos?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 1:12 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 7, 2019
179 posts
115 upvotes

Why are people still going with the big 3 telcos?

I'm just wondering why millions of Canadians aren't leaving the big 3 for the flanker brands for better deals. Are people just uninformed or don't care? Am I missing something? When shopping for plans, I never even look at the big 3 (until just now - no way would I pay $90). The flanker brands are cheaper and have great coverage. Yet millions and millions of people are just sticking to the big 3! WHYYYY!?

These are just some prices I looked up for BYOD. No discounts for being a new customer or anything; just the price you're expected to pay.

Telus: 6GB = $90
Bell: 6GB = $90
Rogers: 6GB = $90

Koodo: 6GB = $65
Public: 8GB = $50
Lucky: 6.5GB = $45
Last edited by Groovycake on May 7th, 2019 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
54 replies
[OP]
Apr 7, 2019
179 posts
115 upvotes
I worded it wrong I guess. I just mean, if the flanker brands have better prices, why aren't millions and millions flocking to them to save money?
Apr 19, 2017
933 posts
755 upvotes
Groovycake wrote: I worded it wrong I guess. I just mean, if the flanker brands have better prices, why aren't millions and millions flocking to them to save money?
Its bait to lure you in and then jack up prices.
Dec 6, 2017
985 posts
517 upvotes
Manitoba
Some people have grandfathered accounts that has better deals than the flanker brands at cheaper prices.
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10066 posts
1513 upvotes
I would move to where it's cheapest with good reception. But I have a good deal with Telus that's grandfathered.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20736 posts
4856 upvotes
Poormond Hill
For a minute I was confused by the title of the thread. I thought op was talking about GM, Ford and Chrysler.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5483 posts
2291 upvotes
Toronto
Groovycake wrote: These are just some prices I looked up for BYOD. No discounts for being a new customer or anything; just the price you're expected to pay.
One of the reasons is a lot of people refuse to go BYOD, and many of the flanker brands (other than Koodo?) don't offer the "latest and greatest" hardware. For example the best phone Lucky offers is a Moto E5, same with Chatr. Public doesn't even offer phones, I don't think. That's not going to attract someone who desperately needs the latest Samsung or Apple offering but can't afford it outright.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1697 posts
954 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
UrbanPoet wrote: Bad reception.
Except Koodo and Public use the exact same network as TELUS, so no.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1155 upvotes
It's a pricing strategy. There are people who don't give a damn about $30/month and have a preference for bigger brands. The Big 3 owns the small firms. So they are basically charging multiple price points for the same service. Customers naturally segment themselves.

The big 3 also have a lot of business accounts which are actually priced decently. My personal phone is using a business plan.

I used to use Wind Mobile and man...the reception is garbage. I can't speak for other brands but I heard a lot of them use the same network as the big 3. Should be stable.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9513 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Bad reception.
I think many people believe the big three have better reception throughout.
Which makes me wonder how they are getting their flanker brand's reception to be inferior.
Rogers and chatr for instance.
As others have said, the flanker brands are to reel in a certain amount of customers before raising the price, like chatr did.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
Groovycake wrote: Why are people still going with the big 3?
I mean... it's either them or no one.

Or Freedom which may as well be no one.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3367 posts
1177 upvotes
Woodbridge
gh05t wrote: I think many people believe the big three have better reception throughout.
That perception doesn't appear to be backed up by reality.
Which makes me wonder how they are getting their flanker brand's reception to be inferior.
They're not. All they can do, for instance, is restrict you to 3G networks on certain plans.

I was paying Telus $55 for 5GB. I jumped to a promotion with Koodo for $50 for 6GB. The only thing that's missing is an app. I'm getting 1 extra gig for $5 less and all it cost me was access to an app.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18653 posts
6710 upvotes
Toronto
Not everyone wants to bring their own devices. They want the latest and greatest devices.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18862 posts
4955 upvotes
Toronto
I'm on Fido, but there are benefits to going with the parent brands too in many cases. It's all about market segmentation. My household is on individual BYOD accounts, but others may prefer the family sharing plans for instance. There are also bundle discounts on the parent brands if you have TV, internet, home phone, and/or home monitoring. There are also business benefits for the parent brands. And of course, with the parent brands, they have maintained the so-called free call-in customer service. Fido used to have this, but now is going with the stupid $10 per call business model, to closer align with the other no frills brands.
Aug 17, 2018
654 posts
458 upvotes
While most of our lines are with 2nd tier, we still maintain 2 lines with Bell because of the discount it gives with our business internet. Its around the same price, when you keep playing around with loyalty between 1st tier and 2nd tier. We tried for a year to go to 3rd tier flanker brands but that lower speed is not cutting it for us to save an extra $10 a month.
Dec 28, 2017
296 posts
110 upvotes
Burlington
When you travel across Canada or even Ontario by car, you will realize Rogers will have better connection than smaller companies. My wife used to have freedom ... She would not have connection part of the way while I have 4g driving from Vancouver to Banff.

I have business trips that uses GPS alot.. so I need the data in the remote areas.. else I will be good for our lovely bears
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1336 posts
947 upvotes
Pickering
I'll definitely have to travel more often outside of the country, but I do travel regularly throughout the major cities (in Ontario) on Freedom Mobile and I've yet to see any major (or even minor) issues regarding reception. Back when I first got WIND in 2014, sure. But as of a year or so I have no complaints. I'm also grandfathered.
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD