Real Estate

Why price discrepancy between Vaughan and Richmond Hill?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2015 8:05 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 24, 2006
861 posts
142 upvotes

Why price discrepancy between Vaughan and Richmond Hill?

I've noticed a large price discrepancy between homes in Vellore Village Vaughan (a nice area) and homes in Richmond Hill (specifically Rouge Woods area; also nice).


This is what you get in Vellore for just under 1M:

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Singl ... re-Village


But you only get this 3 BR house for the same price in Rouge Woods:

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Singl ... ouge-Woods


Both areas are close to highways (400 and 404 respectively). I think Vellore is a newer area as well. Is it just the schools? Asian demand? Sure the school in RH are great (9+) but the schools around Vellore are not terrible (Forest Run is 8.5)


What gives?
44 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3398 upvotes
Some of Rouge Woods is in the Bayview Secondary district (consistently top 5 in the province) and well as top ranked elementary school.

Same goes for other areas in Richmond Hill. Richmond Hill high district has been on fire lately.

I also think RH is more central (Yonge St runs right up the middle) and proximity to 404 (direct highway to downtown) vs 400 to nowhere which is a plus.

That said Vaughan is by no means cheap. All of York region is expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3398 upvotes
House in the area regularly sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars over asking.

I've also talked to a teacher at one of the schools in the area and they get calls from Hong Kong with people who want to get their kids in.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 24, 2006
861 posts
142 upvotes
Wow, which school? Bayview SS?

fdl wrote: House in the area regularly sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars over asking.

I've also talked to a teacher at one of the schools in the area and they get calls from Hong Kong with people who want to get their kids in.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9611 posts
8984 upvotes
Markham
hank755 wrote: Wow, which school? Bayview SS?
That's the one. Take your kids to the best overall recognized school in the GTA. Everyone wants to be there, because it will breed billionaires.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 24, 2006
861 posts
142 upvotes
Is that sarcasm I detect? ;)
Anikiri wrote: That's the one. Take your kids to the best overall recognized school in the GTA. Everyone wants to be there, because it will breed billionaires.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3398 upvotes
Actually the school in question was Silver Stream.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 19, 2003
8089 posts
723 upvotes
fdl wrote: Some of Rouge Woods is in the Bayview Secondary district (consistently top 5 in the province) and well as top ranked elementary school.

Same goes for other areas in Richmond Hill. Richmond Hill high district has been on fire lately.

I also think RH is more central (Yonge St runs right up the middle) and proximity to 404 (direct highway to downtown) vs 400 to nowhere which is a plus.

That said Vaughan is by no means cheap. All of York region is expensive.
What's the best feeder (elementary level) school before this one?
hi!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3398 upvotes
masterhapposai wrote: What's the best feeder (elementary level) school before this one?
This is the best feeder school in rouge woods.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
2660 posts
319 upvotes
There is also the Keele Valley Landfill site, which may attach a stigma to Vaughan in general...
Penalty Box
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
120 upvotes
fdl wrote: Some of Rouge Woods is in the Bayview Secondary district (consistently top 5 in the province) and well as top ranked elementary school.

Same goes for other areas in Richmond Hill. Richmond Hill high district has been on fire lately.

I also think RH is more central (Yonge St runs right up the middle) and proximity to 404 (direct highway to downtown) vs 400 to nowhere which is a plus.

That said Vaughan is by no means cheap. All of York region is expensive.
Top 5 provinces? YOU SURE?

what about private school?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3398 upvotes
TripleTAP wrote: Top 5 provinces? YOU SURE?

what about private school?
Yes I'm sure. Latest Fraser ranking was 4th in the entire province (749 schools).

Other notable high schools in RH include St Theresa and Richmond Hill high tied for 9th in the province.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3398 upvotes
So point is some people are willing to pay a premium to live in these school districts. Eg $100k+ I'd say, for the right area of rouge woods.

Personally I wouldn't. For example of I had $3M for a nice big house in RH I'd go for south richvale over bayview hill. Just my preference.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3398 upvotes
Bayview Secondary 4/749
St Theresa 9/749
Richmond Hill High 9/749
Richmond Green 41/749
Jean Vanier 119/749
Alexander Mackenzie 119/749

That's all the high schools in Richmond Hill. All well ranked so you can't go wrong really.


For comparison, the #1 ranked school in Woodbridge/Maple is Emily Carr, at 152/749
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 25, 2008
1135 posts
507 upvotes
GTA
We just bought a detached in Rouge Woods. We looked at many many areas in the GTA before picking this area. I really like it with being so close to the 404. It was this area or the Doncrest but houses there are an average of 1.2M plus. We never looked into the schools, but just the feeling of the neighbourhood was nice.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5637 posts
3398 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote: We just bought a detached in Rouge Woods. We looked at many many areas in the GTA before picking this area. I really like it with being so close to the 404. It was this area or the Doncrest but houses there are an average of 1.2M plus. We never looked into the schools, but just the feeling of the neighbourhood was nice.
Rouge Woods is split in terms of school zone. Half is Bayview Secondary. Half is Richmond Green (I think). You might want to check which half you are in :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 25, 2008
1135 posts
507 upvotes
GTA
fdl wrote: Rouge Woods is split in terms of school zone. Half is Bayview Secondary. Half is Richmond Green (I think). You might want to check which half you are in :)
lol I'm not too worried about the quality of schools up there, both my siblings and husband's siblings went to crappy ranked schools in Guelph and Scarborough and everyone turned out fine. As long as your children are disciplined enough to study and get good grades, that's all they need to get into university or college. Once you get into those and do well, there's really nothing you have to worry about.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1225 posts
238 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fdl wrote: Rouge Woods is split in terms of school zone. Half is Bayview Secondary. Half is Richmond Green (I think). You might want to check which half you are in :)
It also seems the half zoned with Bayview Secondary has an approximate 8% price premium over the other half zoned with Richmond Green Secondary.
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You can buy in Barrie, Oro, or Orillia the same house for $300k you also will be close to lake so you don't need to buy a cottage. That is if you work in Vaughan or Richmond hill, it will only take 45 minute commute. Not bad for 600k savings!

example:

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Singl ... rio-L3V0A2
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 19, 2003
8089 posts
723 upvotes
Buccio wrote: You can buy in Barrie, Oro, or Orillia the same house for $300k you also will be close to lake so you don't need to buy a cottage. That is if you work in Vaughan or Richmond hill, it will only take 45 minute commute. Not bad for 600k savings!

example:

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Singl ... rio-L3V0A2
Won't go up as much as a Richmond Hill property, so you're actually "losing".

Its great if you can't afford anything though.
hi!

Top