Shopping Discussion

Why push online payments when it is slower?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2020 12:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
2407 posts
1284 upvotes

Why push online payments when it is slower?

Alot of utilities, credit cards, insurance premiums, parking, macdonalds coffee can be paid online through your bank or apps. All of the time the transaction goes through immediately and everyone goes on their merry way.
Not with Quebec government payments. I made a payment on Dec. 27, 2019 during the evening, but today they still did not receive it. What is more funny is that they need till tuesday Jan. 07 to know if the payment gone through. Why they need 30, 31, 03, 06, and 07, a total of 5 business days? I would accept 1 or 2 days like my credit card company. So why would Quebec government push for online when it is obviously that at the counter is better?
I had to pay again at the counter since this was a car registration and wait for them to issue a refund check for the online payment. What a waste of time and resources.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8759 posts
1093 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Probably has to do with the holidays and nobody working or many people taking off even those 5 business days.

In terms of new technologies, large institutions and public entities tend to be the last on the last of implementers. Doesn't help that each layer of government and even each department is run separately so they'll adopt slightly different versions of different systems. For example, online SAAQ payments tend to be pretty fast from my experience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
2407 posts
1284 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote: Probably has to do with the holidays and nobody working or many people taking off even those 5 business days.

In terms of new technologies, large institutions and public entities tend to be the last on the last of implementers. Doesn't help that each layer of government and even each department is run separately so they'll adopt slightly different versions of different systems. For example, online SAAQ payments tend to be pretty fast from my experience.
My experience today was slow and paying at the counter incurred extra fees. Wonder if they will refund the 1st payment without fees or the 2nd payment with fees? Logically they should refund the 2nd payments.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1563 posts
283 upvotes
BC
My on line payments goes through in 2-3 days. The trick is to pay well before due date.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I have a face made for wearing masks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8108 posts
1036 upvotes
Vancouver
Without resorting to the obvious Quebec jokes. Administrative time is real. Taking a stab I. The dark databases get refreshed once a day someone needs to validate things.

Many even private business are using heavily legacy tools often times DOS like and when they try to improve or change things often don’t go well. Just look how poorly air Canada’s Amadeus translation went and is still a hassle.

If you’ve worked in large corporations you’ll see it’s fairly common.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3679 posts
180 upvotes
Montreal
Anything the government touches turns to shit, obviously. Unlimited taxpayer resources and accountability limited to the small number of usually non-vocal people that take notice.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1559 posts
322 upvotes
Vancouver
It’s probably just due to volume/administrative constraints and inefficient system in place. Maybe the government agency only has one person that processes/applies the credit card payments and might not just be doing that all day as part of their job. They would receive the payment right away but the payment has to be manually applied to an account by a person. I would blame it on inefficiencies lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
7724 posts
8454 upvotes
Vancouver
insync44 wrote: My on line payments goes through in 2-3 days. The trick is to pay well before due date.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Electronic payments taking any longer than one minute is unacceptable in this day and age. This 2-3 days and weekends-dont-count nonsense still exists because the e-payment system is nothing more than a front end to the 1960s paper cheque clearing system that still forms the back end of it. The system was antiquated even 15 years ago; back then I would never have predicted that it would still be in use in 2020.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3138 posts
1735 upvotes
Vancouver
Quebec doesn't take credit card payments?

Those are instant.
Nov 26, 2012
204 posts
170 upvotes
Toronto
lol It is government and Quebec. What do you expect? It's probably processed manually. Some companies are better than others in their process (e.g. automated). I find most utilities and credit card companies need 3-4 days. Amex only needs 1-2 days. Government I like to give 7-8 days but they usually don't charge fees if the payment day is before the deadline (even if processed afterwards).

Also, just because it is an electronic payment doesn't mean it gets processed right away. You may pay at 2:35pm (day 1) and it gets 'removed' from your account balance but the bank doesn't actually send it till 6 or 7pm. Then the recipient bank gets the money pretty much right away but doesn't post it in the account until 10am-1pm the next day (day 2). Receiving bank has to check all the amounts. Then the company AR accountant doesn't check transactions for the current day until the following day (so you are already on day 3). They have to download and then upload the list of payments/accounts. Then they reconcile it and it gets approved in the system by their supervisor. And only now is it actually applied to your account. If there are any discrepancies or issues, it has to be escalated with the bank. Possibly 1 day delay for that. Now you are on Day 4. Hence, most companies recommend paying 5 business days in advance. In fairness, many companies apply the payment as of the day they received it, not the day they processed it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)