• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 11:55 am
[OP]
Nov 10, 2014
146 posts
43 upvotes
Windsor, ON

Why is rust forming inside my Maytag top load washing machine

I have a top loading, with agitator, Maytag MVWC465HW washing machine. The issue is rust is forming inside the drum where the clothes are washed. The rust is coming in the bottom, where the drum wall meets the drum bottom. There is also black scuff marks also being created with the rust. Any idea why this is happening to a new washer?
Images
  • 20210827_140034.jpg
  • 20210829_110249.jpg
10 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7203 posts
2236 upvotes
0 downvotes
maybe your using too much detergent?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4598 posts
1832 upvotes
GTA
When a load is finished do you find that some water is sitting at the bottom of the basin? Perhaps keep the lid propped up so that any residual water has a chance to evaporate?

Are you sure it's rust?
[OP]
Nov 10, 2014
146 posts
43 upvotes
Windsor, ON
The_Professor wrote: When a load is finished do you find that some water is sitting at the bottom of the basin? Perhaps keep the lid propped up so that any residual water has a chance to evaporate?

Are you sure it's rust?
No I do not see water in the bottom after the cycle ends. I do keep the lid open. It looks like rust to me.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22804 posts
21638 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
WHY RUST ?

https://fredsappliance.com/service/wash ... t-clothes/

And what to do about it …
https://housetrick.com/washing-machine-rust/

Question …

What are your cleaning & maintenance habits ?

With the new machines and HE Technology this is more important than ever.

We’ve had our Maytag HE Top Loader (all stainless interior & no agitator) 10+ years now
We follow the CLEAN WASHER cycle requirements RELIGIOUSLY
And so far … no issues
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
1295 posts
911 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
The drum looks painted/coated not stainless. The black marks could be wear from rubbing something, then when worn down to the metal, rust forms. Like others have mentioned, these machines need to be cleaned and allowed to dry around the rubber gaskets. Just my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2096 posts
2290 upvotes
Toronto
You dont mention how old the unit is?

My first thought was the metal wasn't painted or treated properly at the factory as I haven had a washer less than 15 years that had signs of rust.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7809 posts
6264 upvotes
Ottawa
If it's rust and it's reasonably new, contact Maytag because it should not be rusting unless it's super old - I've never had rust even in old washing machines. That being said, there are some water supply chemistries that are more conducive to corroding things and all it takes is a chip in the enamel and...
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2778 posts
1928 upvotes
Do you leave the door open once you finished using it?

Try to make that a habit and close it after 12hrs. People close their washers immediately after using and theres built up evaporation inside which can cause this.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4598 posts
1832 upvotes
GTA
Biscayne05 wrote: Do you leave the door open once you finished using it?

Try to make that a habit and close it after 12hrs. People close their washers immediately after using and theres built up evaporation inside which can cause this.
Answered above in post #4
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8040 posts
9015 upvotes
Montréal
Hard to tell, but from the pics it looks like soap scum to me ... it looks like black scum more than rusty.

We replaced our 24 years old washer last year, and if we do not take into consideration that it was dead we could have sold it as a new washer, it was really clean and not a single rust spot

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)