Off Topic

Why second generation Asian usuallly shorter than first generation?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 3:29 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
May 22, 2019
228 posts
60 upvotes

Why second generation Asian usuallly shorter than first generation?

I was working at a property management company near a University in GTA, therefore I got great exposure to both the new comers and those who were born here.

While there's not much difference for other origins, it is interesting to observe that new students who just come from Korea China and Japan, are usually much taller and physical stronger than their buddies who were born here with parents from those countries.

I just found those three countries won huge number of Olympic medals every four years, while you seldom see any second generation Asians representing Canada or US in Olympics. We also see a great number of east Asian players in Premier league, bundesliga, La Liga, while you hardly spot any Asian guys playing soccer here.

Any particular reason?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1854 posts
1294 upvotes
Canada
U need to F harder to produce taller kid which is impossible in winter due to the cold weather
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2622 posts
549 upvotes
Ottawa
ilovetoyota wrote: I was working at a property management company near a University in GTA, therefore I got great exposure to both the new comers and those who were born here.

While there's not much difference for other origins, it is interesting to observe that new students who just come from Korea China and Japan, are usually much taller and physical stronger than their buddies who were born here with parents from those countries.

I just found those three countries won huge number of Olympic medals every four years, while you seldom see any second generation Asians representing Canada or US in Olympics. We also see a great number of east Asian players in Premier league, bundesliga, La Liga, while you hardly spot any Asian guys playing soccer here.

Any particular reason?
Mostly because 2nd gen are beaten to become doctors. Lawyers.. Bankers.. And watch sports moreso than play them... Winking Face
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1677 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
tallness has to do with hereditary DNA but also with good food eaten while you are growing up. But I've seen short kids whose parents are tall and have eaten good food while growing up.
Jan 15, 2017
220 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
"Asians" are a pretty diverse group, but I can offer a theory for those of Chinese descent, which is probably the largest group in Canada anyway. Second generation means their families have been here for a while, which means they are more likely than not from southern China, where people tend to be shorter. The newer arrivals are more mixed, e.g. from more northern areas, where they are taller.

As for sports, asians are a minority here, where as in Asia they have billions to pick from...
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32338 posts
3150 upvotes
Winnipeg
you can't just decide to be taller
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23714 posts
2883 upvotes
Montreal
Is this based on statistical data or personal observations?

Everything I've read suggests that Asians raised on a north american diet are taller than their homegrown brethren.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11630 posts
2142 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote: I was working at a property management company near a University in GTA, therefore I got great exposure to both the new comers and those who were born here.

Any particular reason?
There's a distinct bias here.

You are seeing kids who are sent to Canada for University. The cost of that is astronomical. So many of those 1st gen kids grow up in wealth with proper diets. You only see this part of the Asians and not what the actual population looks like in Asia. Have you even seen sizes of clothing and shoes in Asia? Their XXL fits like an L in America and shoe stores rarely carry sizes above 10.

As for sports... you are comparing the 26 million Asian population in US and Canada to the billions in Asia? Of course you don't see many Asians for the Canadian and US Olympic teams. It's because they only make up 7% of the population. Also nobody gives a rat's ass about soccer in NA.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18183 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
I think it's the difference in socioeconomic status and the unfamiliarity with new food in the new country. Those who experienced the early years of childhood in the old country had parents who were relatively wealthier and had access to a wide variety of healthy food they were familiar with. Those who experienced their early childhood here had relatively lower wealth and their parents weren't familiar with the food available for sale here.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41943 posts
5521 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
mr_raider wrote: Is this based on statistical data or personal observations?

Everything I've read suggests that Asians raised on a north american diet are taller than their homegrown brethren.
Probably just coincidence on OP’s part.
Its actually always quite the opposite.
But at the end of the day it is genetics too.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23714 posts
2883 upvotes
Montreal
UrbanPoet wrote: Probably just coincidence on OP’s part.
Its actually always quite the opposite.
But at the end of the day it is genetics too.
Genetics determines your max potential. Whether you reach that potential depends on nutritional factors
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8864 posts
1535 upvotes
Toronto
Always thought it to be the opposite where second gen kids become thoroughbreds compared to their parents, because of hormones in our milk, diet of burgers etc.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18183 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: Always thought it to be the opposite where second gen kids become thoroughbreds compared to their parents, because of hormones in our milk, diet of burgers etc.
That comes later when the family is established. In the initial years when they're still starting out in the new country things are lean, which means poorer nutrition.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?