Food & Drink

WHY??? Since when did CHOW MEIN = vegetables?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2004 2:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2654 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver 1.7EL wrote: D*mn you Martin Yan. ;)
Yan can cook is hilarious, they still show him on tv, with all the gwai los in their 80's clothes lol
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5820 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
Yeah I think one of the crappy chinese delivery places near UTSC in Scarborough does this....my friend ordered a plate of chow mien and got nothing but bean sprouts. I laughed my head off, and ordered him a big box of "gonn chow ul hor" from a real chinese place :D
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
actng wrote:no dude!!! they're calling a plate of vegetables WITH NO NOODLES chow mein. To me that is just... wrong!!
WTF? What establishment serves this?? That's just friggin stupid.
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6202 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
How Martin Yan come into this?

Mixing up wok With Yan /Stephen Yan and Martin Yan again i see.

Yeah man i'm not Chinese although trained in the art and people sure do get scammed here alot.
like wonton skins fried with no filling as Wontons......WTF!
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
D-Sisive wrote:Yan can cook is hilarious, they still show him on tv, with all the gwai los in their 80's clothes lol
Stephen Yan > Martin Yan

however both are sucky not real chinese food because they're also geared towards white people.

My dad many years back used to do demonstrations with Stephen Yan. My dad was part of team french cuisine and Stephen was cooking chop suey.
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2003
3066 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
trini wrote:How Martin Yan come into this?

Yeah man i'm not Chinese although trained in the art and people sure do get scammed here alot.
like wonton skins fried with no filling as Wontons......WTF!
yo that happens??
rofl
Aug 5, 2004
225 posts
You've got a deal!

The noodle is the cheapest ingredient in a plate of chow mein and they took it out and replace it with the more expensive bean spout! You should be happy!

This low/no carb version of chow mein would easily cost you $20+ at any "high-end"/"trendy" fusion restaurant! :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8918 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
tkl wrote:Simple, it's to fool the caucasian folks. It's always been that way here.

Chow mein sounds better than stir fried bean sprouts .
I'd had that happend to me a few times..

and one resturant on spidina charge me 10 bucks + tax for a take out of chow mein.. I'm going WTF? and just left.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
jollyeskimo wrote:Yeah I think one of the crappy chinese delivery places near UTSC in Scarborough does this....my friend ordered a plate of chow mien and got nothing but bean sprouts. I laughed my head off, and ordered him a big box of "gonn chow ul hor" from a real chinese place :D
I think you mean "gonn chow ngow hor" :D
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2654 posts
2 upvotes
trini wrote:How Martin Yan come into this?

whoa how many Yans are there, i was thinkin of the guy on tv that cooks with his stupid apron

so many yans its like a hong kong phone book
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
my parents own a chinese good restaurant and it's not fake chinese food...

it's canadianized chinese food. like sushi pizza...

i agree chow mein defines noodles.. but that is the way the canadianized restuants have defined the item...

chop suey/show mein = bean sprouts in their world.. no one is decieving anyone.. they are serving food whether or not yuo like it is a different matter.

most of these items are still part of the true chinese items.. canadianized chinese restaranuts do serve.. hor fun, canton chow mein , shrimp and lobster sauce etc....

what you chinese people all call real chinese food might taste like ass to others.. i know tons of people that hate "real chinese food" they want chickens balls and beef and brocoli.. end of the day we're all just trying to make a living..
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
trini wrote:Chow=The Art Of Tossing It Into The Wok And Cooking.
Mein=The Noodles.
No noodles No Chow Mein.
bean sprots are tossed into a wok and cooked.. hence the "chow" part.

"mein" there is a package of dry noodles .. hence the mein...

bean sprouts alone is called chop suey..when you add the dry noodles it's called chow mein... i'm not saying the term is right or wrong.. i'm just saying that's what the canadianzied shops call it and i find it insulting that you people think we're trying to scam people...
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10089 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
trini wrote:Genius i know i'm a chef.

I'm saying no noodles no chow Mein.
point? i've been living in a canadianized chinese restaunt my whole life... those little crunchy orange things are called dry noodles.. and canadianzed chinese food use it to differentiate between chow mein and chop suey...

i know most of you people seem to diss and not respect canadianized chinese food here but i'm telling you the truth.