Automotive

Why so few diesel-fuel vehicle options, in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2019 10:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1377 upvotes

Why so few diesel-fuel vehicle options, in Canada?

I was recently in Europe and drove a diesel SUV. I was surprised at how efficient they are; I'm thinking of buying a diesel vehicle in Canada, but other than Mercedes-Benz, not many options out there. Anybody know why?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
78 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19694 posts
23079 upvotes
GTA
Ask VW.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3149 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote: Ask VW.
I think it’s a little too late for diesel anyway. EVs might coexist with Gasoline cars for a bit, but Diesels will likely be phased out way earlier.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3101 posts
2047 upvotes
ontario
Also ask the EPA why they so strict

There are more and more options. Jeep has had a diesel option in their Grand Cherokee for two generations now (first was a Mercedes motor)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32071 posts
19284 upvotes
Toronto
that's so yesterday (in car technology) Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3101 posts
2047 upvotes
ontario
X24Secret wrote: I think it’s a little too late for diesel anyway. EVs might coexist with Gasoline cars for a bit, but Diesels will likely be phased out way earlier.
I disagree diesel is not going anywhere esp in north America where distances are great and EV infrastructure being poor outside of metropolitan areas
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3149 upvotes
Markham
esoxhntr wrote: I disagree diesel is not going anywhere esp in north America where distances are great and EV infrastructure being poor outside of metropolitan areas
Yes not an immediate or immenint ban but you can be sure between Diesel and Gasoline, Diesel will bow out first. We are of course talking about passenger vehicles.

This article was very interesting.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17001 posts
12399 upvotes
Toronto
I guess OP missed Dieselgate
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9590 posts
8148 upvotes
Kitchener
esoxhntr wrote: I disagree diesel is not going anywhere esp in north America where distances are great and EV infrastructure being poor outside of metropolitan areas
My guess is that you haven't looked at www.plugshare.com ???
I drove to Florida, Texas and Sault Ste Marie in 2 different EVs. Wasn't inconvenient and saved about 80% on my fuel costs.
Feb 4, 2009
247 posts
24 upvotes
The future of diesel in passenger cars in NA has to be bleak.

History has not been kind to Diesel in North America (higher taxes on Diesel in US (reverse in Europe)), horrible American built diesel engines in the early years, horse power issues back when people wanted more power, and finally Dieselgate, etc). While more efficient, diesel pollutes (particularly nitrogen oxides) more than gasoline, leading to Dieselgate.

Currently, low gasoline taxes in the US, coupled with US shale oil boom has kept gas prices low in the US. If people want to conserve, they move to electric. If people are concerned about distance, they drive hybrids. I just don't see the case for Diesel in North America.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3101 posts
2047 upvotes
ontario
IntrepidRT wrote: My guess is that you haven't looked at www.plugshare.com ???
I drove to Florida, Texas and Sault Ste Marie in 2 different EVs. Wasn't inconvenient and saved about 80% on my fuel costs.
10 dots between thunder bay and sault ste marie. that does not scream convenient to me and you want me to sit there and wait while it charges? pffft.. pour in the vegetable oil. my diesel truck will do that distance (700+ kms) on one tank and still have about 300km worth of diesel to spare.

whats the tow rating on a typical EV, how's the range while towing that load? how am i getting my boat to the cottage?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
5071 posts
8403 upvotes
Canada
bltman wrote: The future of diesel in passenger cars in NA has to be bleak.

History has not been kind to Diesel in North America (higher taxes on Diesel in US (reverse in Europe)), horrible American built diesel engines in the early years, horse power issues back when people wanted more power, and finally Dieselgate, etc). While more efficient, diesel pollutes (particularly nitrogen oxides) more than gasoline, leading to Dieselgate.

Currently, low gasoline taxes in the US, coupled with US shale oil boom has kept gas prices low in the US. If people want to conserve, they move to electric. If people are concerned about distance, they drive hybrids. I just don't see the case for Diesel in North America.
To be fair, what led to Dieselgate was mostly lying and concealing lack of emissions control. Though even actually clean diesel pollutes a bit more.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
17164 posts
7044 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Direct injection petrol engines have the same emissions issues too. It's just not as apparent. That's why we have both port and direct injection engines now.

Diesels are a great alternative but unfortunately they wouldn't work here because of the short distances we drive and the amount of traffic there is compared to Europe. Diesels are also more expensive to produce here as they are cleaner than the ones sold in Europe.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Apr 25, 2019
358 posts
189 upvotes
vox has tdi engine option which is diesel, chevy also introduced one in cruze.
my understanding is diesel engine takes time to warm up so not good in canadian winters if you are doing short grocerry trips , good for lenthy highway driving though, some people put frost heater with engine so it warms up through battery but still not equal to gas once. if you power up the car diesel is not used when idle so there is slim chance of engine warming up by idling which isnt good which means remote starter is useless. God forbid engine breaks down canadian mechanics are not good with diesel engines since they havnt worked on many .. will need to take it to dealership which will cost a lot .

1 full tank of mazda3 might do 700km on highway while chevy cruze diesel would do 1000km .. not many people drive this much so you wont feel a lot of difference.

to conclude it is not a good option overall and i recommend you buy a used beige toyota corolla which will serve you and your grand childrens to come.
Nov 15, 2011
126 posts
95 upvotes
SW Ontario
My sister in the UK has an Audi TT TDI 6-speed!!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2336 posts
2432 upvotes
Montréal
dentonic88 wrote: my understanding is diesel engine takes time to warm up so not good in canadian winters
Not that it matters since the segment is dead but the winter thing (assuming you meant startup troubles) hasn't been true in decades. TDI started just fine in -30 weather, it did take a while to warm up but that is why VW put in an electric aux heater and heated seats. Love my R but miss the TDI range that is for sure.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13408 posts
7661 upvotes
Odd you ask. I was just thinking the other day how the number of diesel options seems to be growing.

For example, all the truck manufacturers have added a diesel engine option to their 1/2 tonnes, Nissan offers a new one now, and GM / Chev even have them in their mid size.

That 6 or 7 more options right there that didn't exist 5 years ago.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1377 upvotes
Thanks for your inputs.

In Europe, I was paying 1.59 Euros per liter of diesel, earlier this month. That converts to about $2.30 CAD per liter. Also, the distance between locations, was way smaller (Italy) than here (GTA). Yet, most cars and SUVs that I noticed in Italy, were diesel. Didn't see many gas-powered or electric cars.

So, I'm not clear why diesel cars are so prevalent in Europe where the distances are shorter than here, yet here, where one would expect more diesel cars, they are not. The SUV that I rented was doing 5.5 L / 100 km on the highway. I managed to drive approx. 600 km on 2/5 of the tank (did a roadtrip, LOL). I thought that was amazing.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19694 posts
23079 upvotes
GTA
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: Thanks for your inputs.

In Europe, I was paying 1.59 Euros per liter of diesel, earlier this month. That converts to about $2.30 CAD per liter. Also, the distance between locations, was way smaller (Italy) than here (GTA). Yet, most cars and SUVs that I noticed in Italy, were diesel. Didn't see many gas-powered or electric cars.

So, I'm not clear why diesel cars are so prevalent in Europe where the distances are shorter than here, yet here, where one would expect more diesel cars, they are not. The SUV that I rented was doing 5.5 L / 100 km on the highway. I managed to drive approx. 600 km on 2/5 of the tank (did a roadtrip, LOL). I thought that was amazing.
I believe that traditionally it was cheaper to run diesels in europe due to high gas costs, so people chose the more efficient diesels to drive. They also emit lower CO2 as a result.
Recently gasoline GDI engines have become nearly as efficient as diesels.
Also, other diesel emissions have become a concern, like soot and NO, requiring costly emissions controls.
VW also recently damaged the diesel image.
Many european cities are planning to ban diesel cars, so you're seeing a decline in european sales as well.
The efficient choice is now the hybrid or pure EV.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2079 posts
1379 upvotes
Durham
IntrepidRT wrote: My guess is that you haven't looked at www.plugshare.com ???
How long to charge vs filling up at the pumps?

We do a lot of road trips and I believe the infrastructure must be there. But the length of time it takes to charge up is the deal breaker.