Why some PRIUS have electronic car license plate while some are not

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2019 12:37 am
[OP]
May 22, 2019
433 posts
85 upvotes

Why some PRIUS have electronic car license plate while some are not

I have two neighbours owning Toyota PRIUS, I saw one having electronic car plate in Ontario like "GVXX XXX", while another one is only having regular plate "CEXX XXX".

If I want to buy a PRIUS, how to ensure that I can get a electronic car plate?
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
ilovetoyota wrote: I have two neighbours owning Toyota PRIUS, I saw one having electronic car plate in Ontario like "GVXX XXX", while another one is only having regular plate "CEXX XXX".

The ones with plugs (Prius Plug-In now replaced by the Prius Prime) are eligible for green plates, plug in vehicles in Canada also qualify for $2,500 up to $5,000 in federal government incentives (plus any provincial incentives) and can drive in HOV lanes with a single person.

Keep in mind that it's basically one of the worst EVs currently available on the market and you'd be much better off with something like a Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In or Electric or one of MANY other electric vehicles not made by Toyota (serious laggards on EV technology).

Lexus advertises "Self-Charging Hybrids", which is just advertising slang for Hybrids. Owning an EV >>> PHEV >>> Hybrid >>> Gas every single day of the week. Toyota tech is now pretty far behind everyone else in 2019.

Prius Prime review:
https://electrek.co/2017/02/27/review-2017-prius-prime/

"TL;DR – The 2017 Prius Prime doesn’t deserve coverage on Electrek. While a significant improvement over its predecessor the Prius Plug-in, the Prime’s internal combustion engine continues to turn on unpredictably and it cannot function as a complete car without gasoline."
Last edited by Rob_EV on Oct 31st, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5875 posts
1933 upvotes
Ottawa
IntrepidRT wrote: The ones with plugs (Prius Plug-In now replaced by the Prius Prime) are eligible for green plates, they also qualify for up to $5,000 in federal government incentives. Keep in mind that it's basically one of the worst EVs currently available on the market and you'd be much better off with something like a Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In or Electric.
FYI, slight clarification; the Toyota Prius Prime qualifies for $2500 (although to be fair message did say "up to $5000") federal government incentives. And in my opinion, it's more accurate to say that the Prius Prime has a relatively low electrical range (40km) although to be fair there are a bunch that have less (pretty much any PHEV from BMW (other than i3), Mercedes, Volvo, etc will have less range). The Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in has slightly more range at 47 km. I would argue that as far as reliability, quality and operating cost the Toyota Prime is probably a better choice than many others.

Here's an article that compares the range of many PHEV (slightly newer link)
https://insideevs.com/news/361183/phev- ... july-2019/
Last edited by michelb on Oct 31st, 2019 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
michelb wrote: I would argue that as far as reliability, quality and operating cost the Toyota Prime is probably a better choice than many others.
These guys would disagree with you

"TL;DR – The 2017 Prius Prime doesn’t deserve coverage on Electrek. While a significant improvement over its predecessor the Prius Plug-in, the Prime’s internal combustion engine continues to turn on unpredictably and it cannot function as a complete car without gasoline."
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5875 posts
1933 upvotes
Ottawa
IntrepidRT wrote: These guys would disagree with you

They are basically saying that it's not a great EV because they mostly just look at electric only miles. That said, Toyota has sold over 6 million Priuses (Priis, whatever) (many of those not PHEV) so there's a large market that doesn't strictly care about electrical only miles and just want a reliable, cost efficient vehicle. Just depends what a buyer is looking for.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
michelb wrote: They are basically saying that it's not a great EV because they mostly just look at electric only miles. That said, Toyota has sold over 6 million Priuses (Priis, whatever) (many of those not PHEV) so there's a large market that doesn't strictly care about electrical only miles and just want a reliable, cost efficient vehicle. Just depends what a buyer is looking for.
Oh, I figured people bought Prius' to save money? Fact: running on electricity saves a LOT of money. I could drive 4 times as far as a Prius for the same fuel cost. If you can't drive down the street with a full battery and the gas engine not kicking on, it's a bad EV.

I guess you're saying the main purpose of buying a Prius is either for the looks or performance or both?

The BEST parts of owning any EV are the plug and the performance. If the plug on the Prius Prime is basically useless and the performance isn't inspiring, then it fails on both counts. The only reason they're still selling a bunch is because people don't know any better.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Oct 31st, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5875 posts
1933 upvotes
Ottawa
Just as an FYI, according to fueleconomy.gov, the Prius Prime is actually more efficient to operate than the Hyundai Iconiq Hybrid or the Chevrolet Volt even though it has less electrical only range (25 miles vs 29 miles vs 53 miles) (Prime has a smaller battery but it is more efficient using it and it's more efficient on gas) for the average driver

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do ... 0&id=40924
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
michelb wrote: Just as an FYI, according to fueleconomy.gov, the Prius Prime is actually more efficient to operate than the Hyundai Iconiq Hybrid or the Chevrolet Volt even though it has less electrical only range (25 miles vs 29 miles vs 53 miles) (Prime has a smaller battery but it is more efficient using it and it's more efficient on gas) for the average driver

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do ... 0&id=40924
My friends did 5,000km on their first tank of fuel in their Volt (they do long trips), my other friend did 20,000km on his first tank of fuel in his Volt (mostly short trips). If you're somewhat diligent about plugging in your EV (not sure why you wouldn't be?), the Prius Plug-In is one of the worst offerings of any mainstream EV. If you NEVER bother to plug it in........yes, the Prius IS more efficient than most other gas only vehicles (the Ioniq hybrid is better), but you're defeating the entire purpose of purchasing an EV.
Aug 13, 2011
595 posts
137 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
IntrepidRT wrote: My friends did 5,000km on their first tank of fuel in their Volt (they do long trips), my other friend did 20,000km on his first tank of fuel in his Volt (mostly short trips). If you're somewhat diligent about plugging in your EV (not sure why you wouldn't be?), the Prius Plug-In is one of the worst offerings of any mainstream EV. If you NEVER bother to plug it in........yes, the Prius IS more efficient than most other gas only vehicles (the Ioniq hybrid is better), but you're defeating the entire purpose of purchasing an EV.
Happy Prius Prime owner here. We use it for a 15km round trip commute and for trips over 200km.
Any trips 200km or less, we use our Focus electric.
For commuting, we charge it about once every 3 days.
I preferred the Prius over the Volt when we were deciding.

A single tank got us to Ottawa and back. Got gas at the Oshawa Costco on way out and pretty sure same gas station coming back.
No stopping to charge anywhere along the way. Charging at the hotel and around Ottawa meant we didn't have to use gas while there.
Not sure how long your friend's trips are but 5000km on a single tank of gas probably means they aren't going more than an hour or two away, unless they are stopping to charge the car along the way.
I wouldn't want to stop for a few hours every 100km though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
MrMimizu wrote: Not sure how long your friend's trips are but 5000km on a single tank of gas probably means they aren't going more than an hour or two away, unless they are stopping to charge the car along the way.
I wouldn't want to stop for a few hours every 100km though.
Only the guy with 20,000km on a tank stopped for charging along his trip routes. Everyone else just charges when they arrive at their destination.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15454 posts
16560 upvotes
Oakville
ilovetoyota wrote: I have two neighbours owning Toyota PRIUS, I saw one having electronic car plate in Ontario like "GVXX XXX", while another one is only having regular plate "CEXX XXX".

Just to clarify, I think you mean they have green EV/Electric Vehicle plates, not "electronic" plates. Electronic would suggest that they are digital plates with LEDs in them or something.
Anyhow, it's basically plugin vs non-plugin.
Mar 11, 2019
305 posts
177 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote: These guys would disagree with you

Its a hybrid with a larger battery not an strait EV, with that said not sure what that article was about because mine stays in EV 100% of my commute all week until its pretty cold. Maybe in 2017 there was other issues.
No need to upgrade electrical if you have 120V plug accessible.
1000+ km on 40L of fuel.
12 Kwh/100km In EV mode.
$32 000.
Thats my experience.
Aug 13, 2006
755 posts
530 upvotes
Ottawa
rubikas001 wrote: Electronic car plate? Lol
Never heard about it? It changes automatically after a heist. Very convenient if you need to do couple in a day.
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
eugene_2005 wrote:
Never heard about it? It changes automatically after a heist. Very convenient if you need to do couple in a day.
Lmao, imagine OP doing a heist in a Prius
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
jintau wrote: Its a hybrid with a larger battery not an strait EV, with that said not sure what that article was about because mine stays in EV 100% of my commute all week until its pretty cold. Maybe in 2017 there was other issues.
No need to upgrade electrical if you have 120V plug accessible.
1000+ km on 40L of fuel.
12 Kwh/100km In EV mode.
$32 000.
Thats my experience.
Your engine never runs except in colder weather? You don't need to fill the gas tank to drive it in 100% EV mode? This is contrary to the article.
Mar 11, 2019
305 posts
177 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote: Your engine never runs except in colder weather? You don't need to fill the gas tank to drive it in 100% EV mode? This is contrary to the article.
You dont need gas for EV mode. The engine will run when its below -10 Celsius, it cycles on on and off to maintain its temprature. If you set the front window to Max defrost the engine runs, but you can use normal defrost if its enough.
When you dont do that it runs without the Engine until the battery is depleted, then runs as a Hybrid.
My engine doesn't run at all for my commute and for normal driving, when I go past the 40km of EV range for longer trips its in hybrid and is getting around 3.5L/100KM In hybrid. Over 17 000 Km my fuel consumption is 1.7L/100KM

Also Im getting closer to 60 km on the battery but my commute is at 50-60 KM/hr not highway speeds.

Not sure what the deal with the article is but there is clearly an agenda there. As far as an EV goes the prius prime is great in EV mode but its definitely not a Tesla and the range is enough for me but sucks compared to most EVs. From a cost perspective its more economical than most EVs available right now.
A lot of people think Toyota is way behind on the technology side of things but I highly doubt that since they have been building electric vehicles since the 90s.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7031 posts
5118 upvotes
Kitchener
jintau wrote: A lot of people think Toyota is way behind on the technology side of things but I highly doubt that since they have been building electric vehicles since the 90s.
Which electric vehicle did they build in the '90s? They had a Rav4 EV (California only) with a Tesla powertrain in the 2000's. The ONLY electric vehicle they build now is the Prius Prime. Even Honda is ahead of them with the Clarity PHEV.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4683 posts
5667 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IntrepidRT wrote:
Owning an EV >>> PHEV >>> Hybrid >>> Gas every single day of the week.
Gas >>>>>>>>>>>> EV/PHEV/Hybrid every day of the week for me.

A hairdryer will never sound as good as the good ol' N/A motor. Maybe to the deaf, sure.

Just like watching pr0n without sound, it can be the best action ever, but something's just missing.
Last edited by er34er34 on Nov 4th, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.