Shopping Discussion

Why are some shoppers so indecisive and dump items in random spots or at the cash?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2015 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 21, 2014
418 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Why are some shoppers so indecisive and dump items in random spots or at the cash?

I don't know about other RFDers but I tend to be very precise in what I want when I enter the store and inspect the items from top to bottom before I buy and use a price scanner to verify. But I often see shoppers fill up their carts with tons of items and then suddenly decide they don't want something and throw it on the floor or leave it at the cash. It does not personally affect me but I was just wondering about their mentality because a lot of these items like produce, meat, dairy, and other merchandise end up being thrown away for no reason due to damage and/or health safety issues. Seems like a big waste and I am sure stores pass the cost down to us.
38 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
742 upvotes
Richmond
Giving it to the cashier is better than leaving it all over. At least the cashier can call someone to put it back or put it back during downtime. Pffft and people seem to love hiding meat behind merchandise. And then it gets all stinky and smelly and people wonder why the store stinks and rant at the staff. >_> Maybe if people didn't hide meat behind non perishable merchandise the store wouldn't stink.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13379 posts
8345 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Ice-cream, all melted....eww

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2028 upvotes
Nowhere
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Ice-cream, all melted....eww
When I worked at a grocery store many years ago, people loved to leave ice cream and meat in the magazine racks. Back then, most ice cream came in the cardboard packaging so not only was the ice cream ruined but so were the magazines. For those wondering, anything that was left out like this was not to be put back on the shelf.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5694 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
Lol is this stemming from that shoplifting thread?

Yes, I hate those fools that leave their returns, especially perishables out or put them in the freezer section.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19569 posts
4173 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Some misunderstanding on the price could cause this.

Also, it might be someone who discretely wants to ditch an item that their kid wanted to get without causing a temper tantrum.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1201 posts
155 upvotes
Non-perishable = lazy. Just give it to the cashier.

Perishable = practically vandalism. They can't put that stuff back, it's a loss for the store. You might as well have stolen it, the damage is the same.

Then again I see people who wouldn't dream of stealing their $50 worth of groceries from the store walk blocks and blocks away with the $500 cart and leave it in a ditch with no intention of ever returning it.
Oct 20, 2004
635 posts
151 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote: Some misunderstanding on the price could cause this.

Also, it might be someone who discretely wants to ditch an item that their kid wanted to get without causing a temper tantrum.
If it was a misunderstanding about the price that means that it was probably scanned. I doubt that someone would demand the product back at that point just to put it with the magazines.

This seems to happen a lot with 45 year old white women who aren't shopping with their kids at the time but you may have a point with that one. I doubt many kids are demanding a t-bone though so it probably wouldn't explain too many cases.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3221 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
Honestly why do you even care
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1201 posts
155 upvotes
jarko wrote: Honestly why do you even care
It's part of retail "shrink" (loss) and causes prices to go up.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13094 posts
2184 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Cue the thread about customers who abandon shopping carts in parking spots and sidewalks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5427 posts
1838 upvotes
GTEH!
wserib wrote: I don't know about other RFDers but I tend to be very precise in what I want when I enter the store and inspect the items from top to bottom before I buy and use a price scanner to verify. But I often see shoppers fill up their carts with tons of items and then suddenly decide they don't want something and throw it on the floor or leave it at the cash. It does not personally affect me but I was just wondering about their mentality because a lot of these items like produce, meat, dairy, and other merchandise end up being thrown away for no reason due to damage and/or health safety issues. Seems like a big waste and I am sure stores pass the cost down to us.
Laziness or not enough $$ to pay for it
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9255 posts
1705 upvotes
Toronto
Latest I saw was someone leaving a container of cashews in the cold cuts/cheese freezer.

ALways see people leave frozen stuff including pizza, meat ice cream in the baskets at the cashier etc.

You really gots to wonder how some people think, if they think at all etc
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5774 posts
1290 upvotes
Maybe some people do it to "stick it to the man". They don't understand that everyone pays for the wanton destruction of perfectly good food. It doesn't surprise me to learn that some 30-40% of all food produced never makes it on the kitchen table.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)