Shopping Discussion

Why are some shoppers so indecisive and dump items in random spots or at the cash?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2015 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
May 2, 2005
672 posts
125 upvotes
It's because they are adults and they don't trust "the system".
May 28, 2012
10919 posts
3090 upvotes
Saskatoon
If I see perishables lying around (particularly meat and frozen foods) while I'm shopping, I'll give it to the cashier when I'm ready to checkout...not sure what they do with it, but I don't like the thought of it going to waste.

If it's something I've changed my mind about, I'll take it back to its proper place (or hand it over to the cashier, but I don't do that often). I've bought items that have spoiled sooner than they should, sometimes I wonder if it's been stored improperly somewhere along the way.
Jan 15, 2008
332 posts
120 upvotes
Hamilton
Apparently, some people are anti-social animals. Forget about leaving stuff in random spots or near the cash...I don't even like it when people are inconsiderate by putting something back in the shelf in a disorganized or messy way. Products on the shelf are organized and stacked/arranged neatly in rows for display. Knocking boxes over, putting an item back on the wrong shelf, etc. is either going to make it more difficult for the next customer to find what they want, or some poor minimum-wage employee has to clean up the shelf after the slobs.

Have you tried to find a DVD or Blu-ray in one of the discount bins at ANY store? If they were ever neatly arranged in stacks or with the spines up, it won't be that way within a few hours. Try digging around the bin and finding that last copy of a movie you might want. Ugh.

Maybe this is just me, because I'm very particular about things.

Every day, I'm reminded of how much I hate people. :mad:

/rant over
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2028 upvotes
Nowhere
rf134a wrote: Maybe some people do it to "stick it to the man". They don't understand that everyone pays for the wanton destruction of perfectly good food. It doesn't surprise me to learn that some 30-40% of all food produced never makes it on the kitchen table.
I must admit when I go to a store like Walmart and see product after product with no price on the shelf or the product itself and I have to keep going to the price scanner to find out the price, I tend to dump them by the scanner. I don't do it with perishables. It is usually out of frustration. If they are going to make me have to keep seeking out a price scanner because they are too cheap to hire staff to properly label shelves, then I'll make them put the stuff back. I also started doing it in frustration when I've had to walk all over the store looking for a price scanner that actually works. That's my sticking it to the man but I only do it in frustration. When I try clothes on in a change room and decide against them, I always put them back properly and don't dump them with the change room attendant.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9245 posts
1701 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: If I see perishables lying around (particularly meat and frozen foods) while I'm shopping, I'll give it to the cashier when I'm ready to checkout...not sure what they do with it, but I don't like the thought of it going to waste.
Wastage is one thing, but if they don't know how long meat has been sitting out before you gave it to the cashier, who in turn will leave it near the cash for a while before anyone comes to deal with it, it should be dumped anyway and not reshelved.
May 28, 2012
10919 posts
3090 upvotes
Saskatoon
gh05t wrote: Wastage is one thing, but if they don't know how long meat has been sitting out before you gave it to the cashier, who in turn will leave it near the cash for a while before anyone comes to deal with it, it should be dumped anyway and not reshelved.
I understand that, but it's still not a good thing to leave it where it doesn't belong. I'm sure they have guidelines about whether items are saleable or not.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5745 posts
1922 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Kids, mommy I want that. Later mommy buries it somewhere when the little one isn't looking. Certainly easier on other shoppers and mommy's nerves than all the screeching.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4887 upvotes
Here 'n There
I see it at Costco all the time. Frozen food thawing somewhere on a shelf outside a freezer. Don't people realize that only increases costs because it has to be thrown out? Worse still if it has thawed but some other shopper sees it and later puts it back in the freezer and then you unknowingly buy it and possibly get ill from thawed and refrozen food.

If I ever see someone do that at Costco I'm going to give them a piece of my mind.
Jul 1, 2009
438 posts
106 upvotes
Calgary
Supercooled wrote: First world problems.
So it's idiots like you who do it
Cheap Cat wrote: I must admit when I go to a store like Walmart and see product after product with no price on the shelf or the product itself and I have to keep going to the price scanner to find out the price, I tend to dump them by the scanner. I don't do it with perishables. It is usually out of frustration. If they are going to make me have to keep seeking out a price scanner because they are too cheap to hire staff to properly label shelves, then I'll make them put the stuff back. I also started doing it in frustration when I've had to walk all over the store looking for a price scanner that actually works. That's my sticking it to the man but I only do it in frustration. When I try clothes on in a change room and decide against them, I always put them back properly and don't dump them with the change room attendant.
That accomplishes nothing buddy. All you're doing is making it harder on whoever does the put-aways. Congrats big guy
Oct 26, 2015
561 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto,ON
I never dump anything..either tell cashier about it or put it back myself :)
Jun 10, 2013
8 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
You know, I used to feel this way, but I was eventually broken by certain stores (a Safeway, multiple Walmart locations) which are so routinely understaffed that if I think it'll take longer to get through the line than to make another trip to a store some other time, I practically consider it my duty to abandon my cart/basket full of perishables in order to encourage the store to spend the money on having another clerk or two on duty.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43362 posts
6591 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Mars2012 wrote: If I see perishables lying around (particularly meat and frozen foods) while I'm shopping, I'll give it to the cashier when I'm ready to checkout...not sure what they do with it, but I don't like the thought of it going to waste.

If it's something I've changed my mind about, I'll take it back to its proper place (or hand it over to the cashier, but I don't do that often). I've bought items that have spoiled sooner than they should, sometimes I wonder if it's been stored improperly somewhere along the way.
They put it in a cart and call in a clerk from the appropiate section to pick it up. Saw them do this at superstore? "Dairy cash
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5764 posts
1284 upvotes
RZKMycJT wrote: You know, I used to feel this way, but I was eventually broken by certain stores (a Safeway, multiple Walmart locations) which are so routinely understaffed that if I think it'll take longer to get through the line than to make another trip to a store some other time, I practically consider it my duty to abandon my cart/basket full of perishables in order to encourage the store to spend the money on having another clerk or two on duty.
Loses like this is why there are so few clerks working. Margin in the grocery game is around 2%.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
406 upvotes
RZKMycJT wrote: You know, I used to feel this way, but I was eventually broken by certain stores (a Safeway, multiple Walmart locations) which are so routinely understaffed that if I think it'll take longer to get through the line than to make another trip to a store some other time, I practically consider it my duty to abandon my cart/basket full of perishables in order to encourage the store to spend the money on having another clerk or two on duty.
Doesn't work and will never work. Store management will always blame you and will never accept fault for not having enough staff. All you accomplish is forcing increases in prices.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)