Off Topic

Why Are We Not Talking About Ottawa Tornado?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 7:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14160 posts
2251 upvotes

Why Are We Not Talking About Ottawa Tornado?

Been reading and watching the outcome from this disaster and wondering those from the Ottawa-Gatineau area how the people are coping?
61 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
5381 posts
763 upvotes
Ottawa
eldiablo wrote: Been reading and watching the outcome from this disaster and wondering those from the Ottawa-Gatineau area how the people are coping?
I live in downtown Ottawa. I lost power for about a day, but then it came back on Saturday afternoon. There was significant damage in Dunrobin (small town west of Ottawa) and Gatineau, though not overly bad compared to some tornadoes in the US. One of our major transformers was hit, so a lot of people are still without power. We're fortunate in that at this time of year many people can still live in their homes without power (fall temperatures mean that we don't need heating or cooling). Also, while a lot of people and businesses lost power a lot didn't, so there's a lot of support there.

I will say, after seeing people driving without functioning traffic lights I was very impressed. People seemed to be able to get through intersections safely and efficiently, and I didn't even see a near-collision.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6110 posts
825 upvotes
Greely
Why? Because RFD = Toronto = center of the universe

Its crazy here. Still tens of thousands without power.

All schools are closed tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4743 posts
1564 upvotes
Toronto
Even the airport lost power for a while, was on emergency lighting only. Tons of traffic lights out even 24 hours after it happened.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1683 posts
1200 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm in Ottawa. Still without power. It's been rough, but it is what it is.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14160 posts
2251 upvotes
They showed Ford visiting the areas and small communities which have been hit the hardest. It looks unbelievable with hundreds of buildings damaged and 1200+ homes is some state of damage also. Feel so sorry for all those affected.
Mar 24, 2015
981 posts
351 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We just had power 30 mins ago. Was without it since Friday 6pm. Just finished going through the chest freezer and fridge freezer and a lot went to waste. We managed to cook some on the bbq and gas stove today and yesterday. It was 4 deg outside last night so we put some stuff out in containers. They were still cold in the morning. We were able to shower with warm water yesterday and it' was cold today, had to boil water and give the kids bath like old times. Thankfully we'll be able to shower tonight.
My boss and my husband's boss called to tell us to stay home tomorrow. Kids have school because the French public school board has decided so at 8pm while the city and police are advising people to stay home tomorrow. Going to pack their lunch with chocolate, chips, candies, and juice tomorrow, because all the healthier options are in the garbage lol.

It was great to see the generosity of a whole community. There was free food being offered at different locations (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), Gabriel pizza, Domino pizza, supermarkets donating pastries, muffins, etc. Dairy Queen giving away their ice cream cakes. Recreational complex and goodlife fitness centres were open for showers and charging of phones.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11755 posts
9015 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Not a lot of discussion, probably because so many RFDers in the area were / still are ... without power.

Just spent the weekend helping out family member who was without power since Friday.

Downed trees, missing siding & shingles, but minor inconvenience compared to others less fortunate.

Dunrobin a small bedroom community west of Ottawa, they say got pretty much wiped off the map with an F3+ ... same tornado that then jumped across the Ottawa River and hit Gatineau. Lots of destruction there too

In the city, an F2 took out a strip parallel to Hunt Club Road (major east west route) from Greenbank Road to Conroy... but skipped along so some spots are much worse than others (trees down, roofs gone, houses damaged, windows blown out of apartment buildings etc). Few people are talking about that... and fewer pics. BUT the big news from that one, is this is why the city has so many power outages ... it took out a major power substation near Merivale Road & Colonnade, as well as a bunch of large hydro metal towers.

Very similar to the damage sustained in this same heavily treed area during the 1998 Ice Storm.

Little known fact...

Ottawa sent a hydro crew to help out the folks in the Carolinas, so when these Tornadoes hit... they were short staffed.

But what goes around in generosity comes back around... crews have come into the capital from the rest of Ontario to help out. Crews literally have been working 24/7 to get things back up and running. Including everything from putting in new hydro poles for main arteries to finding ways to patch / redirect power to make up for the major substation destroyed (see photos above from @eldiablo )

Generally I found things well organized.

Neighbours were helping neighbours, and the majority of people were courteous & understanding. Especially on the roadways being fair at the intersections etc.

Family members really appreciated our gifts of ice, camp stove, and flashlights / lanterns... but overall they were doing quite well.

Daughter tho was getting a tad stressed today, Day 3... so good thing the power came back for them this aft. Said it was “almost fun” in the beginning ... like camping, but less so as the days wore on. It lost its charm at about the 36 Hour mark with having kids. And she found it a lot harder going without modern conveniences etc

I said it was a lot easier than the Ice Storm (she was a teenager then)... at least she wasn’t having to deal with keeping the house warm, or the threat of frozen pipes etc that we did back in January 1998.

Positive though... was everyone was talking more and less engrossed in technology / tv etc. That was an eye opener. With the decent weather everyone spent more time outdoors in the daytime just going into the dark house to sleep. Lol, very old fashioned ... earlier to bed, earlier to wake. Weekend really changed their perspective on some things. And that was interesting.

And for the record (another RFD recent topic)
Good old fashioned land line telephones worked seamlessly thru the power failure.. unless one had a fancy base unit that required electricity (handsfree, paging option etc)
Cellphones were iffy. Sometimes no service, sometimes sketchy service, dropped calls etc.
City of Ottawa Emergency Mgmt said the cell networks were overloaded a lot
Bell Networks worked the best
Rogers not so much
Heard that Rogers got lots of calls from annoyed customers when power was restored in their areas... reports about poor cellphone service, and no cable or internet for hours afterwards.
I am not a huge fan of Bell... but maybe you get what you pay for.
Just confirms...
Not gonna switch my cellphone to Rogers anytime soon
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8069 posts
1009 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: *snip
Thanks for the summary. Interesting first hand perspective. I wonder if tying to force your rogers phone into the old gsm mode would have gotten a call through?

A reminder to all even those in condos to ask yourself how prepared you are for 48 hours without power.

Might be worth picking up some extra flashlights, canned food, candles and some big aukey/anker portable batteries next time your shopping.

Hope insurance is generous and swift to anyone impacted.

If you drive probably better to fuel up at half tank or 3/4 tank particularly in winter so at least you have a car to generate power in a pinch and not have to rely on going to a petrol station.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3969 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: Thanks for the summary. Interesting first hand perspective. I wonder if tying to force your rogers phone into the old gsm mode would have gotten a call through?

A reminder to all even those in condos to ask yourself how prepared you are for 48 hours without power.

Might be worth picking up some extra flashlights, canned food, candles and some big aukey/anker portable batteries next time your shopping.

Hope insurance is generous and swift to anyone impacted.

If you drive probably better to fuel up at half tank or 3/4 tank particularly in winter so at least you have a car to generate power in a pinch and not have to rely on going to a petrol station.
stock piles of tuna cans when they go on sale. lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6601 posts
5489 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote: stock piles of tuna cans when they go on sale. lol.
lol????

:facepalm:

As usual... some people in here don't have any empathy with others... so sad
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34313 posts
8138 upvotes
Ottawa
steve-0101 wrote: Why? Because RFD = Toronto = center of the universe

That answers the OP's question :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34313 posts
8138 upvotes
Ottawa
Schools are closed and Federal government workers were told to stay home today. There are still many traffic light out so the rush hour traffic would have been a nightmare. There will be some schools that will most likely be closed for some time.
It is not that only homes and businesses were destroyed or without power but, there were also aid agencies that have been damaged, ie some food banks and are not available to assist.
Fortunately, I live in the East end of Ottawa, and was not affected except for a few hours without power and I cannot imagine what is in store for the folks that lost everything or almost everything.
It is not just infrastructure clean up so most of us can get back to normal to be reconciled but the lives of those that lost it all. How long will it take for their lives to just get up and running because it will never be back to normal again.
I feel extremely luck today. I also lived through the huge tornado that ripped through my neighborhood in Edmonton without damage in the late 80's.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23731 posts
2884 upvotes
Montreal
steve-0101 wrote: Why? Because RFD = Toronto = center of the universe
No kidding. There are two elections going on now in NB and QC, and half the threads are still about Ford and Wynne and so on...