Personal Finance

Why are we still being asked Debit or Credit in 2017?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2018 3:36 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1377 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal

Why are we still being asked Debit or Credit in 2017?

Can anyone working in the payment card industry tell me why we are still being asked CREDIT or DEBIT when we flash our cards when it comes time to play? We're in 2017, dont these cards have unique identifiers that a POS system could discern whether its credit or debit?

Was paying something at a drugstore and was asked this. Some business dont but most still do....
38 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1880 posts
169 upvotes
Ottawa
HoTiCE_ wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 1:53 pm
Can anyone working in the payment card industry tell me why we are still being asked CREDIT or DEBIT when we flash our cards when it comes time to play? We're in 2017, dont these cards have unique identifiers that a POS system could discern whether its credit or debit?

Was paying something at a drugstore and was asked this. Some business dont but most still do....
Forgot that, I get a lot of people asking me if its MC or Visa.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28413 posts
14196 upvotes
Ottawa
I posed the same question to a cashier and was told that they had to manunally select VISA, MC, AMEX, or Debit on the POS system; otherwise the transaction will not process.
May 3, 2015
324 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto, ON
masoud100 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 2:01 pm
Forgot that, I get a lot of people asking me if its MC or Visa.
Haha, I was going to post the same thing. Which is funny, because when I was younger I don't recall being asked that. I'm like, are these systems getting worse?? Perhaps it has to do with some type of tracking for the vendor.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2003 posts
257 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
forget that! Chipotle downtown on yonge street won't take debit at all, only cash and credit!! because the system is American or something and they can't accept Canadian Debit... but no problem accepting Canadian credit cards...?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22276 posts
2545 upvotes
Montreal
yatta wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 4:22 pm
forget that! Chipotle downtown on yonge street won't take debit at all, only cash and credit!! because the system is American or something and they can't accept Canadian Debit... but no problem accepting Canadian credit cards...?
From what I remember from my US travels, Interac is the least of your concerns at CHipotle.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5195 posts
4253 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 2:18 pm
I posed the same question to a cashier and was told that they had to manunally select VISA, MC, AMEX, or Debit on the POS system; otherwise the transaction will not process.
Ya that's incorrect, at least for some places.
Often when it comes time to pay, the cashier sees me pull out my card and automatically says "debit"?
I guess I look like a person that wouldn't have a credit card Face With Tears Of Joy.
I just say yes, and off I go tapping my credit card.
Works every time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5195 posts
4253 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
Even at places that I say it's credit card, I never specify Visa Amex or MC and it also goes through no problem.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4259 posts
617 upvotes
First of all, debit and credit usually work on different platforms.
Second, they most likely ask because the system they use is old.
Most of the new debit cards I've seen actually use the credit system (Debit Visa or debit MasterCard cards for example).

If you use software based POS, they can most likely detect everything without asking the hardware POS are usually older, just until last week I was tasked with integrating with a hardware based API of a large payment processor, that thing is ancient, their system looks like a combination of DOS and Excel. In that system, everything matters, it's very low level system if you think about it.
Why would they use it? It's more of a direct link to the banks and because of it they usually have lower fees than talking to the newer systems.
Feb 17, 2017
858 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
yatta wrote:
They don't have chip card readers, so can't take Interac.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1377 posts
171 upvotes
Montreal
hvwozq wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 10:07 pm
That's why they're called POS.
lol touché
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6716 posts
3870 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MikeZ13 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 4:10 pm
Haha, I was going to post the same thing. Which is funny, because when I was younger I don't recall being asked that. I'm like, are these systems getting worse?? Perhaps it has to do with some type of tracking for the vendor.
They always used to ask that before, not as much now.
May 3, 2015
324 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 10:33 pm
They always used to ask that before, not as much now.
Not to me lol
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2415 posts
1300 upvotes
Winnipeg
yatta wrote:
They probably use something like square card reader... Those cannot take debit cards.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*