Why Whitby house market got super hot ?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2021 10:42 am
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
598 posts
132 upvotes

Why Whitby house market got super hot ?

Any insights on how Whitby house prices are sky rocketing ? What's your advice or suggestions for Whitby home owners , sell their primary homes and move or don't sell now ?
If your advice is to sell, then where should we buy, as in general the market is crazy and hot !
TIA.
172 replies
Apr 3, 2018
189 posts
145 upvotes
Have you noticed governments are printing money like there is no tommorow?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2254 posts
442 upvotes
York
I hear Windsor is still pretty affordable.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9639 posts
11829 upvotes
Toronto
I moved here 6 years ago and in my opinion there are a few reasons.

It was previously undervalued, it made no sense a 1 bedroom condo downtown cost almost as much as a nice 4 bed detached in Whitby.

It has been developed a lot. Nordic spa and playdium are just two examples. Durham is also the fastest growing region in Canada.

It is very family friendly, low crime, mostly house owners. It is overall a very nice city to raise a family.

The commute downtown by GO train isn't terrible if you work by union. The commute if you work in Markham or Scarborough is also not too bad.

After considering it for awhile I decided to stay put, if you bought awhile ago you have a low mortgage and live in a nice city, no point in messing with it.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1113 posts
2042 upvotes
Toronto
Because of the WFH mania. It was the cheapest GTA suburb (durham in general), so for proximity to DT (less than 50k), to buy detached it's as cheap as you were going to get so that's where people went en masse, that's my take on it. If/when commutes change I think people will be upside down on their recent purchases. It's only the cheapest GTA burbs that had the growth they did, everywhere else was more modest relatively speaking.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Apr 25, 2017
137 posts
103 upvotes
I think the reason Whitby/Ajax has gone up so much more is due to the fact that a lot of the houses there are relatively newer builds. People like new stuff. Whitby has tons of new development and as others have mentioned prices were significantly lower than some of the other regions neighbouring Toronto.

I think the biggest problem with Durham has been infrastructure i.e. roads. Now, that there's 2 highways 412/418 as well as plans to expand some of the existing streets I believe Durham prices will continue increasing. Additionally, the Lakeshore East line has pretty good service.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2577 posts
1551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A lot of people moving to Durham are new/recent immigrants. They don't have a stigma attached to Durham like old-timers do.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
2049 posts
524 upvotes
Not specific to any location. It’s up up up everywhere in and around GTA and even bit further west, east, north.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
2049 posts
524 upvotes
mazerbeaner wrote: I moved here 6 years ago and in my opinion there are a few reasons.

It was previously undervalued, it made no sense a 1 bedroom condo downtown cost almost as much as a nice 4 bed detached in Whitby.

It has been developed a lot. Nordic spa and playdium are just two examples. Durham is also the fastest growing region in Canada.

It is very family friendly, low crime, mostly house owners. It is overall a very nice city to raise a family.

The commute downtown by GO train isn't terrible if you work by union. The commute if you work in Markham or Scarborough is also not too bad.

After considering it for awhile I decided to stay put, if you bought awhile ago you have a low mortgage and live in a nice city, no point in messing with it.
It’s up up up because it’s a freehold in and around GTA. Every municipality is up up up without these reasons. Emphasize again on up up up.
Nov 9, 2005
839 posts
226 upvotes
Is Whitby more expensive the Milton?

I see houses sold within a day of posting when walking the dog. Its insane.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
2049 posts
524 upvotes
Cybersid wrote: Is Whitby more expensive the Milton?

It is the same everywhere my friend. Milton houses snapped up in no time. Hell, higher end homes being snapped up in no time before they will take weeks.

My friend in Milton says market is super hot.

It has to do with supply and demand. Everywhere is hot in GTA, Kitchener, Woodstock you name it.
Last edited by Singh_21 on Feb 19th, 2021 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9639 posts
11829 upvotes
Toronto
Cybersid wrote: Is Whitby more expensive the Milton?

It used to be but at this moment they seem pretty similar in price.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9639 posts
11829 upvotes
Toronto
Singh_21 wrote: Not specific to any location. It’s up up up everywhere in and around GTA and even bit further west, east, north.
Yes freehold is up everywhere but Whitby specifically is up the second most at almost 40% year over year.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5097 posts
3133 upvotes
Toronto
biggest thing is that it was undervalued.
stigma with durham.. power plant..
higher property taxes.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
2049 posts
524 upvotes
mazerbeaner wrote: Yes freehold is up everywhere but Whitby specifically is up the second most at almost 40% year over year.
Yes anywhere that was undervalued will be up most but 5-6% increase shouldn’t change the decision whether you want to live in east end or west end?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9639 posts
11829 upvotes
Toronto
Singh_21 wrote: Not specific to any location. It’s up up up everywhere in and around GTA and even bit further west, east, north.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
9639 posts
11829 upvotes
Toronto
Singh_21 wrote: Yes anywhere that was undervalued will be up most but 5-6% increase shouldn’t change the decision whether you want to live in east end or west end?
Yea for the vast majority of end users this shouldn't be a deciding factor.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
2049 posts
524 upvotes
Yes so 4% difference in growth between Brampton and Whitby on average last year. But Brampton prices have been higher than Whitby from before so Whitby will be still cheaper than Brampton.
Oct 30, 2017
376 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
I dont feel like this chart is true. Detached in many parts of Toronto went up way more than 15%.