Computers & Electronics

Wierd TP-Link ID Activation email - did you get one ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2019 2:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4325 posts
1361 upvotes
Vancouver

Wierd TP-Link ID Activation email - did you get one ?

I received the following today (active links removed) and I'm not sure what to make of it. I didn't register for anything today. I don't own a TP-Link router but I do use TP-Link powerline units.

I don't see anything other than legit TP-Link web URL's in the original email.
Hi,

Thank you for registering for a TP-Link ID.

To complete your TP-Link ID registration, please click the following button within an hour:

Click to Finish Registration

Do not reply to this email; it was sent from an unmonitored email address.

For inquiries, please contact our Technical Support at www. tp-link.com/ support .

Sincerely,

TP-Link Cloud Team

Scam?
Accidental email from TP-Link?

I figure a scam but nothing in the raw source appears to be a redirection to a rogue web site.

Anything else I should be looking for?

5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3608 posts
3699 upvotes
Vancouver
I can confirm that I got that email when I registered my first TP-Link device and set up my Kasa account 2 years ago. I presume I clicked on the button.

Immediately after that all my computers had their entire contents erased and my TP-Link device was destroyed by a rogue command, but I'm sure it was unrelated. (Just kidding :) )
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4325 posts
1361 upvotes
Vancouver
Here's the kicker.... I don't recall that I ever registered my devices with them. I'm normally meticulous on keeping a record of registrations and using unique passwords for web sites and I have none for TP-Link.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12973 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Immediately after that all my computers had their entire contents erased and my TP-Link device was destroyed by a rogue command, but I'm sure it was unrelated. (Just kidding :) )
I hate both you and me because I fell for this.
NewsyL wrote: Here's the kicker.... I don't recall that I ever registered my devices with them. I'm normally meticulous on keeping a record of registrations and using unique passwords for web sites and I have none for TP-Link.

What's your email? Or rather is your email easy to typo and with a large free email provider?
(ie is your email newsyl@gmail and someone typoed newsyk@gmail)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4325 posts
1361 upvotes
Vancouver
The email is my first initial and last name + a number @ gmail.

It is an uncommon last name and uncommon number so it would have to be a heck of a typo. It is nothing like Michael Brown.

It is an email that was compromised in a breach several years ago to which I get a phish attempt every week. They're usually easy to spot and some have even sent multiple threats and been able to tell me my old password for the sites that were breached.

I pondered if there are any implications for identity theft for someone using my email to register at TP-Link and I don't see how if I've never previously registered there. I can't think of any but I'm no expert.