Parenting & Family

Wife Just got Pregnant, Where's the deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2021 11:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1719 posts
1133 upvotes
Calgary

Wife Just got Pregnant, Where's the deals?

It never really hit me but I don't see that many RFD posting for various baby stuff.
I tried searching for a "baby" forum but I don't see one.

Am I missing a section of RFD that covers deals on baby stuff?

like, bugaboo strollers.
car seats.
etc.

Sorry if this exists somewhere. I just can't seem to find it.
26 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14599 posts
27390 upvotes
Scarborough
First off, congrats on your pregnancy!

It's not that popular of a category here but we do see enough baby/kids deals. It'll be a lot easier to see them by filtering to that specific category.

Hot Deals > Kids & Babies
hot-deals-f9/?c=196

You can also view Expired Hot Deals by the same category filter to get an idea of what's been on sale, and when/how often things go on sale.

Expired Hot Deals > Kids & Babies
expired-hot-deals-f68/?c=196
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15457 posts
12653 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Suthek wrote: It never really hit me but I don't see that many RFD posting for various baby stuff.

like, bugaboo strollers.
car seats.
etc.

DEALS are with the rest of the deals in the HOT DEALS Section = hot-deals-f9/

Everything is there, so it’s easiest to SEARCH for whatever one is looking for

There is a PARENTING & FAMILY FORUM = parenting-f78/

It’s where RFDers talk about the ups & downs of Parenthood

And discuss the pros and cons on any topic ... like what’s the best stroller, car seat, etc to buy

That’s prob where the RFD MODS will be moving this thread to

Bookmark it ... I am sure you’ll refer to it often as New Parents

BTW ... a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you & the Mrs.
These are exciting times
Enjoy the ride!
Aug 21, 2010
786 posts
301 upvotes
toronto
ive noticed online has really jacked up baby stuff...
you can find unused items on kijji,,we have found many brand new items there for babies
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11675 posts
8128 upvotes
GTA, ON
First off, congrats!

You don't normally see a lot of major sales at any specific time of year for baby related stuff. In terms of the baby product business, there is one constant, babies are always being born, just like people are always dying from old age.

BabiesRUs does have semi-annual sales but generally speaking, general sales happen throughout the year. Just look out for it and you'll probably be able to pick up a few items here and there.

As for RFD, you'll see the deals pop up here and there in Hot Deals, just look out for them. Every so often someone will post an awesome deal on Diono car seats. As for strollers, highend hardly go on big sales from what I can recall.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1290 posts
633 upvotes
I've found that most 'higher' end strollers usually only go on sale annually around black friday and are limited to 15-20% off.

Just to note, higher end doesn't = safer. Deals for more common brands come and go through the year - keep an eye on the hot deals section.
Suthek wrote: It never really hit me but I don't see that many RFD posting for various baby stuff.

like, bugaboo strollers.
car seats.
etc.

Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15457 posts
12653 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
chimaican wrote: First off, congrats!

You don't normally see a lot of major sales at any specific time of year for baby related stuff. In terms of the baby product business, there is one constant, babies are always being born, just like people are always dying from old age.

BabiesRUs does have semi-annual sales but generally speaking, general sales happen throughout the year. Just look out for it and you'll probably be able to pick up a few items here and there.

As for RFD, you'll see the deals pop up here and there in Hot Deals, just look out for them. Every so often someone will post an awesome deal on Diono car seats. As for strollers, highend hardly go on big sales from what I can recall.
Good post

Grandparent here ... so we’ve gone thru this multi generationally now, for our own kids, and more recently grandkids

Clothing (Maternity or Baby / Kids) follows the regular fashion cycles as far as Sales & Clearances ... and introducing the next season

Equipment in my experience rarely goes on sale. But Black Friday / Cyber Monday can be worth looking out for. And as I recall, Spring is a good time for some things too ... cuz like the Wedding Biz ... there is a more prominent time of year to have babies ... and that’s Spring / Summer / Fall (Lol, lots of Winter Nookie)

And as a side note ... lots of folks buy things second hand

That’s good for many things ... but I wouldn’t recommend it for anything too personal ... like a mattress, cloth diapers, or shoes. I think it’s always a good idea to buy new for these things ... although you might be ok with handing down to siblings if you have more kids.

This is also true for major safety rated equipment ... i would never buy a second hand car seat ... or think twice about a crib ... as safety improvements are made all the time ... and you want to be current etc.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1485 posts
939 upvotes
Vancouver
First off, congrats! Second, a word of advice, you don't need to pick up everything at once during the pregnancy. Keep an eye on prices for the things you like an buy when on sale.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1719 posts
1133 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I was just inside BuyBuyBaby and was looking at the nuna stuff. looks real nice.
They mentioned the Nuna Demi was like 1/2 price on boxing day and the nuna mixx was like $125 off.

So I guess I just need to keep an eye out for when that happens again. Hopefully before September / October.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11675 posts
8128 upvotes
GTA, ON
My other piece of advice since this sounds like your first: don't go crazy on buying everything. TBH, a lot of baby stuff is crap and you'll never ever use it. The retailers will try to sell you on you have to have it, or it's cute. Reality is, a lot is garbage.

List of definite needs:
-crib
-new mattress
-stroller w/ compatible bucket seat
-high chair
-play pen w/ attachable diaper change pad
-double breast pump if breast feeding

Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15457 posts
12653 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
chimaican wrote: My other piece of advice since this sounds like your first: don't go crazy on buying everything. TBH, a lot of baby stuff is crap and you'll never ever use it. The retailers will try to sell you on you have to have it, or it's cute. Reality is, a lot is garbage.

List of definite needs:
-crib
-new mattress
-stroller w/ compatible bucket seat
-high chair
-play pen w/ attachable diaper change pad
-double breast pump if breast feeding
Another good post

I will also add that sleeping needs change from newborn thru those first few months

Babies often want to be as close as possible to Mom ... and if Mom breastfeeding sometimes that makes a lot of sense for her too
Lol, so don’t be surprised if you end up with an empty crib
(A pretty nursery is nice ... but it’s often a BIG PURCHASE that can be put off a bit ... maybe in your case to Black Friday)

You can often do better / make do with the likes of a bassinet, cradle, or even a playpen in the beginning

And gradually move onto the big old crib

Here’s two threads from awhile back that explains those first days / months well

trying-get-newborn-sleep-his-crib-2285089/
switching-bassinet-crib-2303408/
Dec 26, 2012
850 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto
Congratulations! A quick word of advice here as we purchased the majority of our baby items brand new, from bugaboo to clek (but with a deals of course), buy some products used if you can. Looking back on how much money we spent on new products and how short of a time period we used the product for ie. jolly jumper, outdoor play pen, etc new is nice for sure but I'd purchase more used items if we could go back ie. bumbo chair $75 new or $25 used and virtually still new as some babies never use them. With the exception of things with expiry dates like car seats/booster seats, you may be able to buy some baby items used on Facebook, use them with your new child and resell for same price you paid when you're done with them.
Last edited by oakley0023 on Feb 8th, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11675 posts
8128 upvotes
GTA, ON
Yup, Facebook Buy'n'Sell groups in your local area, best place to buy lightly used baby/kid stuff, and then resell for the same or close amount when done. It's like paying a temporary rental fee. Hand-me downs are the best.

Jun 4, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
I second relying on the second hand market rather than sales.for most things except car seats and similar. I'm in same boat and we have been getting a lot of great deals used on FB marketplace
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9209 posts
4498 upvotes
Markham
If you are not amazon prime customer, you should be when you have new family member
Aug 31, 2014
319 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Congrats!!! Definitely slow down on the buying. My second one is 8-9mo, and here’s a bunch of stuff that I’d say is must:
- baby clothes
- baby blanket (not necessarily for sleeping, but sometimes put in the floor to lay on, or to wrap the baby up)
- diapers
- some safe sleep surface (bassinet or crib etc)
- if breastfeeding, a breastfeeding pillow helps, and a comfy chair for feeding (mom/baby positioning is important)
- car seat

That’s about must have for the first almost 6 months.

Depending on your lifestyle/parenting style I’d also recommend getting a baby carrier/wrap/sling. Easy to carry the baby around the house or out for a walk.

Once older, we got a lot of used stuff on Facebook marketplace/ local groups that are in excellent conditions or even new unused. Good luck!
Jun 4, 2013
679 posts
235 upvotes
Vancouver

like, bugaboo strollers.
car seats.
etc.

Check out CL a lot of the time people are willing to sell strollers, toys at half or less than the price. For strollers check the expire date coz I think most strollers are good for like 5 years?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1135 posts
606 upvotes
Ripley
Less is more. Ask your friends and family if they have any baby equipment they could lend you. That is probably more than you will ever need. We don't live in the Sahara. You can order anything you really really need online and it will arrive at your door in a couple of days. Buying stuff you don't need on sale isn't smart. It's better to buy the stuff you actually need and spend a little more to get good quality. The advantage of getting used stuff is that you already know it was good enough quality to last at least one kid.

Exceptions for safety reasons are car seats (don't buy used), crib mattress, soother, breast pump, and bottles. Do not buy new clothes, blankets, strollers or toys.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13122 posts
1942 upvotes
Toronto
We are very happy with our uppababy vista stroller paired with the Mesa car seat. It can be had for about 20% off at snugglebugz and buybuybaby. We found it to be more sturdy compared to the bugaboo. The Nuna was pretty nice, but it wasn’t on sale at the time.

We bought a full set of nursery furniture along with an additional crib due to twins and it hasn’t really been used. What you must get is a swing. We bought one from auctionmaxx for about $100 which was a steal. They have been sleeping in it during the day and co-sleeping at night. Our change table is from ikea and it serves us very well. We also have a diaper genie that we swear by. It takes a beating and hasn’t broken yet. The refills are quite cheap. We buy the Walmart brand refills that fit it just fine. Makes diaper changing so much easier and no smells at all.

Make sure you get a baby carrier. I use it daily. When the babies are up, I carry them around while I vacuum or clean the house. I’ve been doing it pretty much daily since there’s not much else to do!

Buy lots of microfiber wash clothes (don’t use softener when washing, it ruins the microfiber) , wipes are usually on sale at Amazon and shipped to your door. Get the refills in bulk since they are in a ziploc and can be sealed. No need for the fancy ones with the lids. Get a bottle warmer from Amazon if formula fed or supplemented with formula. They are cheaper and much better than the ones in store. Costco has decent sales for diapers regularly and sometimes Loblaws too when it’s on the extra points special for optimum. Get a bulk pack of Vaseline from Costco. It’s good to apply it liberally to their faces since it’s super dry at this time of year. At least that’s what our paediatrician recommended. Carter’s has lots of clearance sales online for baby clothes. I would hold off until family and friends give you stuff. You don’t want to buy something and have a million other people gift you the same thing! Avoid forehead thermometers and those little dinky ones that slide in the armpit. They are slow and babies hate them. We find that the ear one made by Braun works the best. It’s accurate, quick and the baby doesn’t mind it at all. Always have Tylenol on hand and gripe water if you believe in that stuff or when it comes time that you need to try something to make you sane even though it might not even work. Get swaddles! Specifically the Halo Sleepsack Swaddle. It’s honestly the best. The babies have been using them since the NICU and they love it.