Cell Phones

Wife wants a new ( to her ) iPhone. Has 4S now.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2019 8:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2137 posts
603 upvotes
Kitchener

Wife wants a new ( to her ) iPhone. Has 4S now.

Hello everyone,

The last time I asked in 2016, her choice was the 4s. It's still working well, but she'd like an upgrade. It needs to be an iPhone.
I'm wondering which model would be the best value. Only used for phone and texts. I'm using a 6s.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19862 posts
7984 upvotes
Toronto
Since she's suffered through a nearly decade of phone, I suggest getting a latest model. Use it gently and it will probably last a decade as well. Battery swaps are doable at every cell repair shop.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2137 posts
603 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks everyone for your valuable input. Now she also wants an iPad. So it'll be a $ year, but great partners are hard to find and keep. Any suggestions wrt which model to get? The newest one or a refurb from apple. They've got some gen 5's at the moment. Only need 32 GB.
HO HO HO and the $ will GO GO GO!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19862 posts
7984 upvotes
Toronto
sam123 wrote: Thanks everyone for your valuable input. Now she also wants an iPad. So it'll be a $ year, but great partners are hard to find and keep. Any suggestions wrt which model to get? The newest one or a refurb from apple. They've got some gen 5's at the moment. Only need 32 GB.
Same advice. If you are going to use it gently and for a long time, go for the latest model.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3735 posts
998 upvotes
Calgary
sam123 wrote: Thanks everyone for your valuable input. Now she also wants an iPad. So it'll be a $ year, but great partners are hard to find and keep. Any suggestions wrt which model to get? The newest one or a refurb from apple. They've got some gen 5's at the moment. Only need 32 GB.
There had been quite some good deals on the latest iPad (generation 7 with 10.2 screen) for around $350 during Black Friday. I think it is around $369 right now (still on sale) and for that price, it is worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5034 posts
3565 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Get the latest iPhone you can afford. Don't even have to be the pro, regular iPhone 11 should suffice.

For iPad, depends on her usage. If all she's doing is watching videos, the regular iPad is good enough.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2137 posts
603 upvotes
Kitchener
casperr wrote: There had been quite some good deals on the latest iPad (generation 7 with 10.2 screen) for around $350 during Black Friday. I think it is around $369 right now (still on sale) and for that price, it is worth it.
My problem is that I prefer to buy from the Apple store cuz it's for her. I'm good with taking my chances buying it at BestBuy or Costco.
Thanks everyone.
Mar 5, 2018
230 posts
102 upvotes
I think value for the money, XR or iPhone 11 is the best. I'm using 11 Pro Max but I feel it's so heavy comparing with my wife's XS Max bought last year.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3735 posts
998 upvotes
Calgary
sam123 wrote: My problem is that I prefer to buy from the Apple store cuz it's for her. I'm good with taking my chances buying it at BestBuy or Costco.
Thanks everyone.
Buying from Costco is even better than buying from Apple store.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2137 posts
603 upvotes
Kitchener
casperr wrote: Buying from Costco is even better than buying from Apple store.
Why?
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
133 posts
271 upvotes
sam123 wrote: Why?
They have a 90-day guaranteed return policy for electronics. If your partner doesn't like it or you got buyer's remorse, you can still take it back to Costco.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1545 posts
265 upvotes
Calgary
casperr wrote: There had been quite some good deals on the latest iPad (generation 7 with 10.2 screen) for around $350 during Black Friday. I think it is around $369 right now (still on sale) and for that price, it is worth it.
Where were these deals, at Costco or the Apple Store? I'm assuming something similar will come around on boxing day?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3735 posts
998 upvotes
Calgary
kotoula wrote: Where were these deals, at Costco or the Apple Store? I'm assuming something similar will come around on boxing day?

OP, StrangeThings already answered your question.

Kotoula, apple store will never have that kind of deals. It was costco. It went lower than $350.

Unsure if they will have the same pricing for boxing day.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3689 posts
3347 upvotes
Muskoka
If she has a 4s now, I don't think she will like the XR. Too much of a size change, the XR is quite big compared to the 4s. I would go with one of the 4.7" screens, which are 8, 7, 6s. My wife went from SE to the 8 and she complained for about a week. She's ok with it now.

Koodo often has Certified Previously owned - these are basically brand new, less than 30 days use. Customer returns.
Public Mobile
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18840 posts
4946 upvotes
Toronto
Meh. Get the 11. Don't worry about the size change.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2749 posts
755 upvotes
Scarborough
Yap, get her the 11 & the latest ipad max memory.

"Diamond Apple, tell her how much you love her...."

(a sigh of relief from Foxconn factory)