Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON

Wife's Civic sluggish

So here's the thing, just started up my wife's Civic and it feels rather sluggish. The RPMs immediately dropped to about a steady 500rpm but the engine feels like it's struggling to maintain itself at that level. The car itself is driving quite sluggish, though it is accelerating it feels like there is no power. The car is now at 108k, so I know it's likely due for maintenance like the timing belt & water pump. I also know that an O2 sensor needs to be replaced as I have the engine light on and I've read the code. Going to stop by the mechanic later this week.

I have basic auto knowledge but far from an expert. Do you think it just needs new spark plugs or is this a sign of something else?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
11 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
I was going to say O2. IF the poor car has no clue what is going on, don't expect it to perform.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
AudiDude wrote: I was going to say O2. IF the poor car has no clue what is going on, don't expect it to perform.
It's been driving okay up to this week, even with the engine light on. Darn wife has brought in her car for servicing even though I've told her to. Could it be something else?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
chimaican wrote: So here's the thing, just started up my wife's Civic and it feels rather sluggish. The RPMs immediately dropped to about a steady 500rpm but the engine feels like it's struggling to maintain itself at that level. The car itself is driving quite sluggish, though it is accelerating it feels like there is no power. The car is now at 108k, so I know it's likely due for maintenance like the timing belt & water pump. I also know that an O2 sensor needs to be replaced as I have the engine light on and I've read the code. Going to stop by the mechanic later this week.

I have basic auto knowledge but far from an expert. Do you think it just needs new spark plugs or is this a sign of something else?
At 108,000 km your probably due for spark plugs, fuel filter and air filter. Get the O2 code checked also.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1219 upvotes
aGincourt
Year? If it's an 06 or higher it doesn't have a timing belt so please don't make yourself an easy target for the mechanic (And 108k is way too early for a TB + WP job... another victim of internet fear mongering)

First thing I would do is check the CEL because it will tell you what's wrong with the car even if it's unrelated to the sluggish feeling, but after that I would go-

-Engine air filter, I would drive the car around the block without an air filter to see if it drives better
-Make sure all tires have proper PSI, an under inflated tire will make the car sluggish
-Make sure parking brake is fully disengaged and not partially engaged
-Check brakes for draggings or seized calipers, car will pull to one side while driving especially braking
-Is the AC on? :razz:

How often is engine oil changed? Sluggish can be the result of dirty oil

CEL can also be the reason for the sluggishness, engine can be in limp mode ATM which doesn't allow for high RPM and high speed
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
older civic?..check for arcing outside the distributor cap and wires..very common problem
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
My first thought was limp mode realted to the transmission like the above poster.

Could also be electrical. Wires. Plugs, solenoid etc

So I guess sensors are definitely a possiblility. Just whether it's transmission related ones or emission related ones.

May simply need tuning up as many suggested. Can't lose by investing in new fuel and air filters and plugs.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
So when you slay sluggish, is it revving but lacking power?

I guess when you say 500 rpm, it seems like it's 'barely' staying on?

Is it no power at all? Even when you press the pedal, it's as if fuel is cutting in and out? Sputtering?

Does it jerk at any point?

Spark plugs, rotor, wires could be an issue but it still seems pretty soon for that. Dirtier 'engine' resulting from oil burning, which may have lead to the CEL could cause plugs to foul sooner. Generally if it feels like it's misfiring that's a sign. Or when it's wet out.

O2 sensor doesn't just go bad unless again, there is something causing it to. Did you check your oil level? Check the colour, smell.

My gut feel is its some spark issue likely due to the bad O2 Sensor (sub optimal air fuel mixture). Less likely, actual issue with the distributor, plugs or wires.

And even less likely, fuel delivery (fuel pump).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Could be a clogged iac valve, which causes irregular idling and bad enough to cause the car to stall.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
The first thing is always to get the car running without any check engine lights - the front/upstream o2 sensor is a lot more important to the engine's operation than the rear/downstream o2 sensor though.

What is the last time the spark plugs were replaced and throttle body cleaned? Those, along with the o2 sensor, would be my first places to work on.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)