• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2020 11:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1275 posts
147 upvotes

WIfi 6 Card works in PCIe x16 slot but not in x1 slot

I bought this Wifi 6 card recently and tried installing it today on my Asrock B450M Steel Legend. The card does not show up in Windows, although the bluetooth is recognized and seems to function. When I tried it in the second x16 slot, the wifi card is detected and I was able to connect to my wifi.

I'd prefer to install this card on the x1 slot because installing it in the second x16 slot puts the card right up against my vide card. But I'm at a loss as to why Windows can't detect the card in the x1 slot even though Bluetooth works. Can anyone help?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3297 posts
2874 upvotes
Toronto
enigma54 wrote: I bought this Wifi 6 card recently and tried installing it today on my Asrock B450M Steel Legend. The card does not show up in Windows, although the bluetooth is recognized and seems to function. When I tried it in the second x16 slot, the wifi card is detected and I was able to connect to my wifi.

I'd prefer to install this card on the x1 slot because installing it in the second x16 slot puts the card right up against my vide card. But I'm at a loss as to why Windows can't detect the card in the x1 slot even though Bluetooth works. Can anyone help?
Did you disable the onboard LAN in the BIOS?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1275 posts
147 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Did you disable the onboard LAN in the BIOS?
No i didn't try that...would that be causing a conflict with Pcie x1?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3297 posts
2874 upvotes
Toronto
enigma54 wrote: No i didn't try that...would that be causing a conflict with Pcie x1?
It could since the onboard LAN uses a PCIe 2.0 lane, same as the PCIe x1 slot which is also PCIe 2.0
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2620 posts
1361 upvotes
London
enigma54 wrote: I bought this Wifi 6 card recently and tried installing it today on my Asrock B450M Steel Legend. The card does not show up in Windows, although the bluetooth is recognized and seems to function. When I tried it in the second x16 slot, the wifi card is detected and I was able to connect to my wifi.

have u tried something else in the 1x slot. sometimes if u turn on all the x16 slots at full speed in the bios then to do that it shuts off the 1x slots. i know with an older x97 board i had when u used the 3 x16 slots at there full speed it would shut off the x1 slots not sure if boards still do that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1275 posts
147 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: have u tried something else in the 1x slot. sometimes if u turn on all the x16 slots at full speed in the bios then to do that it shuts off the 1x slots. i know with an older x97 board i had when u used the 3 x16 slots at there full speed it would shut off the x1 slots not sure if boards still do that.
Thanks...I’ll check that. I don’t have any other device that would fit into an x1 slot. The weird thing is that the card’s Bluetooth works on the x1 slot, but not the wifi (windows does not detect the ax200 chip).
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2620 posts
1361 upvotes
London
enigma54 wrote: Thanks...I’ll check that. I don’t have any other device that would fit into an x1 slot. The weird thing is that the card’s Bluetooth works on the x1 slot, but not the wifi (windows does not detect the ax200 chip).
hmm odd maybe its a defective slot and its not making connections to all the pads on the card. seems odd it would fully work in 1 slot but not the other but it kinda see something in the x1 but not everything
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3839 posts
1043 upvotes
Possible drivers issue? Any " ! " / unknown device pop up on device manager when you put it in the X1 slot? Weird that the bluetooth works but no wifi since they're on the same card. Try to download the newest driver from manufacturer site rather than have windows install automatically.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1275 posts
147 upvotes
coilz wrote: Possible drivers issue? Any " ! " / unknown device pop up on device manager when you put it in the X1 slot? Weird that the bluetooth works but no wifi since they're on the same card. Try to download the newest driver from manufacturer site rather than have windows install automatically.
Nope, Device Manager doesn't show any of the "!" things...the AX200 wifi device just doesn't show up, but the Bluetooth does when it's in the x1 slot.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3685 posts
20690 upvotes
Did you confirm that this will work on x1 vs the x16 slot because not everything is compatible and things are designed specifically for this reason.