• Feb 7th, 2021 3:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
312 posts
51 upvotes

WiFi Home Camera

Hey guys,

I’m looking to buy a WiFi camera for the house, something basic and simple.

For anyone that already has one, do we have to be connected to the same WiFi network to view live or would I be able to view from somewhere else with internet such as from work?

Couldn’t find the answer online.

Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1407 posts
566 upvotes
I don't know how many times I've posted this same answer.

Wyze cameras.
Nov 30, 2015
388 posts
190 upvotes
GTA, ON
+1. For "basic and simple" + good , reliable and economical, I am using Wyze.

Connected to your WiFi, you will be able to have live view at home or if travelling via the internet from your phone. My older cameras do need a power source via a USB adapter so placements have to be near convenient 120v power source. I have no experience on the battery powered ones.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4578 posts
1586 upvotes
I use the Blink XT. No issues.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6581 posts
2150 upvotes
GTA
Kyle12345 wrote: I’m looking to buy a WiFi camera for the house, something basic and simple.

For anyone that already has one, do we have to be connected to the same WiFi network to view live or would I be able to view from somewhere else with internet such as from work?
Neighbours asking why the blue box truck stops for 30 minutes at your place?
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
312 posts
51 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: I don't know how many times I've posted this same answer.

Wyze cameras.
jdmfishingonly wrote: I use the Blink XT. No issues.
Thanks guys! So I guess we don’t have to be connected to same WiFi since we could see from anywhere.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
312 posts
51 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Neighbours asking why the blue box truck stops for 30 minutes at your place?
What blue box truck?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4578 posts
1586 upvotes
Inside our home ... we use Rogers Smart Home Monitoring ... already have two indoor cameras which can be wireless monitored on the phone.

I also installed the Cacagoo (older model) wireless camera inside the garage ... although I do have the Chamberlain MyQ app ... sometimes I don't trust it ... so I use this camera to make sure my garage door is closed/opened.

On the porch ... the Ring Doorbell 3 Plus.

For the outside ... I have been using the Blink XT ... amazing quality .... its mounted on the outside of the garage overlooking the driveway ...

This was one clip of some pathetic useless punk in his 20s who was trying to open the door of my wife's car at 340am in November 2020 (you can see he tried to pull the handle right at the beginning of the clip):

Same PUNKA$$ fool did the same back in June 2020 with his pathetic music at 215am ... walking across the top of the driveways from my neighbours over to ours ... you have a problem of not seeing the sidewalk???

16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2