Computers & Electronics

Wifi overload with home automation devices?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2018 8:35 am
[OP]
Nov 17, 2014
807 posts
281 upvotes

Wifi overload with home automation devices?

I have bought a few home automation devices recently: 1 wifi enabled garage door opener, 1 Wayze cam, 2 switches, 3 plugs and 3 google homes. I also consider buying the Samsung Smartthings hub and water sensors.

Now, people told me that my VOIP phone (FreePhoneLine) has echos and stuttering from their end.

I have the Carrytel 75/10 pan, but found the upload speed was under 3gb in last few days.

Does home automation devices take up too much wifi bandwidth? If so, how to check the bandwidth used and what is the solution?
Last edited by Beefeater on Jun 12th, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15167 posts
6733 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Beefeater wrote: I have bought a few home automation devices recently: 1 Wayze cam, 2 switches, 3 plugs and 3 google homes. I also consider buying the Samsung Smartthings hub and water sensors.

Now, people told me that my VOIP phone (FreePhoneLine) has echos and stuttering from their end.

I have the Carrytel 75/10 pan, but found the upload speed was under 3gb in last few days.

Does home automation devices take up too much wifi bandwidth? If so, how to check the bandwidth used and what is the solution?
Is your VOIP phone on wifi or it's connected via ethernet to your router & modem? If it's hard-wired, then any degradation in voice quality is probably attributed to lack of bandwidth in your internet access, not wifi overload. Have you tried using QoS to give higher priority to VoIP traffic? If your upload speed is 3Mbps (I doubt you have 3Gb as you stated) then that might be the bottleneck if your Wyzecam is taking part of that bandwidth to upload to the cloud.

What router do you currently use? Some routers can report what download/upload speeds you are getting and can break it down to which IP is using that bandwidth so you can narrow down to what is causing the issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2794 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
Beefeater wrote: I have bought a few home automation devices recently: 1 Wayze cam, 2 switches, 3 plugs and 3 google homes. I also consider buying the Samsung Smartthings hub and water sensors.

It could possibly be the Wayze camera. Maybe it's recording 24/7 for some reason (as in, uploading videos). Check the settings or try unplugging it for a day and then check your usage for that day.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38233 posts
24412 upvotes
Center of Universe
I have half of your bandwidth for both download and upload speeds and have no issues with my VOIP (Ooma) and I have way more connected devices than you.
Check your QoS and ensure FPL has priority.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2014
807 posts
281 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: Is your VOIP phone on wifi or it's connected via ethernet to your router & modem? If it's hard-wired, then any degradation in voice quality is probably attributed to lack of bandwidth in your internet access, not wifi overload. Have you tried using QoS to give higher priority to VoIP traffic? If your upload speed is 3Mbps (I doubt you have 3Gb as you stated) then that might be the bottleneck if your Wyzecam is taking part of that bandwidth to upload to the cloud.

What router do you currently use? Some routers can report what download/upload speeds you are getting and can break it down to which IP is using that bandwidth so you can narrow down to what is causing the issues.
I have the Panasonic 5 handset phone system with its base connected to my router, D-Link Dir825, via a network cable.

My router's current QoS set up is: "enable QoS engine", "automatic classification", and "dynamic fragmentation". It is not obvious how to give higher priority to the FreePhoneLine.

My Carrytel upload speed is supposed to be 10gb maximum, but got only 3gb recently, especially in the evenings when the traffic in the neighborhood might be busy.

My D-Link dir 825 does not appear to generate report for download/upload speeds. It is a 5 yrs old router.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2794 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
Beefeater wrote: I have the Panasonic 5 handset phone system with its base connected to my router, D-Link Dir825, via a network cable.

My router's current QoS set up is: "enable QoS engine", "automatic classification", and "dynamic fragmentation". It is not obvious how to give higher priority to the FreePhoneLine.

My Carrytel upload speed is supposed to be 10gb maximum, but got only 3gb recently, especially in the evenings when the traffic in the neighborhood might be busy.

My D-Link dir 825 does not appear to generate report for download/upload speeds. It is a 5 yrs old router.
I think you mean Mbps. As in 75 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. I thought you were saying there were 3 gigs uploaded in a few days.

So, your Panasonic phone is connected to the VOIP adapter. The VOIP adapter is connected to your D-Link router via an Ethernet cable. The D-Link router should be connected to your Carrytel modem via an Ethernet cable.

Maybe check the port forwarding rules in your router for the VOIP adapter IP address.

Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13008 posts
7798 upvotes
Brampton
Beefeater wrote: I have the Panasonic 5 handset phone system with its base connected to my router, D-Link Dir825, via a network cable.

There's your problem
It's actually a 10 year old router.
It was never very good to begin with.

It's got hilariously low routing performance by modern standards.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... l=&start=1
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2794 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: There's your problem

I just looked it up. I had that router. I started to have problems after 5 or 6 years. I forget what the issues were. It was good at that time but it is most likely past it's due date.

Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13512 posts
4380 upvotes
tebore wrote: There's your problem

Bought this router like 10 years ago. Had to replace it with an AC router a few years back. Cant believe anyone still using that old router.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3322 upvotes
Beefeater wrote: Now, people told me that my VOIP phone (FreePhoneLine) has echos and stuttering from their end.
newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p28508733

and

freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p29299104 (if you're looking for a new router)
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.