Wifi Travel Box for Hotspot in Europe

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2018 9:56 am
Mar 9, 2005
192 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto

Wifi Travel Box for Hotspot in Europe

Looking to rent 3x travel boxes for Wifi for the family vacation. Will be travelling from Toronto Canada and landing in Barcellona for a cruise. Does anyone have any recommendations on Wifi boxes which they've used for the following locations?

Looking for unlimited or 5GB+/day.
Thanks in advance.

Barcelona–El Prat Airport
Marseille, France
Genoa, Metropolitan City of Genoa, Italy
Civitavecchia, 00053 Metropolitan City of Rome, Italy
Palermo, Province of Palermo, Italy
Valletta, Malta
23 replies
May 19, 2017
657 posts
446 upvotes
The Europe data only package for Keepgo, iRoam and WorldSIM look more expensive than Knowroaming. Knowroaming (Canadian company) has 5 GB for $54 USD, valid for 14 days. Has anyone tried it?
Nov 3, 2009
138 posts
20 upvotes
We traveled through, Portugal and Spain with the kids and used MyWebspot. Typical pocket Wifi with unlimited (got very slow towards end of day) but the kids really used a lot of data.

I have used it a few times out in Europe and found coverage great. 1 Pocket Wifi and we were able to connect up to 10 devices. There are other companies I looked at but MyWebspot had the best offer at the time>

It was a better value than getting Sim cards since we were 4 people on it.

Good Luck!
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2276 posts
809 upvotes
Etobicoke
Why don't you buy a sim card when you land and use it on a wireless router. Now in europe there is no more roaming, so your plan will be good in all the european union countries.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
3164 posts
26384 upvotes
Toronto
durrsak wrote: Why don't you buy a sim card when you land and use it on a wireless router. Now in europe there is no more roaming, so your plan will be good in all the european union countries.
Looking at the prices for the rentals for these boxes I might as well just get my own wireless router that I can put a SIM card in. Now all I have to do is find a good deal on one.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
GBUalways wrote: The Europe data only package for Keepgo, iRoam and WorldSIM look more expensive than Knowroaming. Knowroaming (Canadian company) has 5 GB for $54 USD, valid for 14 days. Has anyone tried it?
Why not just get a three UK sim on eBay and it's like $30 dollars for 12gb in Europe
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
who8myrice wrote: Looking to rent 3x travel boxes for Wifi for the family vacation.
Maybe you can find an unlocked one and then get a local pre-paid SIM.

However, 5GB per day maybe a challenge... even with European data prices.
May 19, 2017
657 posts
446 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote: Why not just get a three UK sim on eBay and it's like $30 dollars for 12gb in Europe
Thanks. Three UK doesn't allow tethering, which I need because we're family of 4. Orange Holiday Europe prepaid SIM card 10GB, 120mn, 1000 SMS allows tethering and is valid for 14 days. Their price is about $74 USD including shipping and is cheaper from Knowroaming based on on $ per GB.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
GBUalways wrote: Thanks. Three UK doesn't allow tethering, which I need because we're family of 4. Orange Holiday Europe prepaid SIM card 10GB, 120mn, 1000 SMS allows tethering and is valid for 14 days. Their price is about $74 USD including shipping and is cheaper from Knowroaming based on on $ per GB.
Won't your hotel have Internet? Also... do you really need Internet even while you're not? I mean surely you're in Europe to enjoy it and not surf the web? :D
May 19, 2017
657 posts
446 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Won't your hotel have Internet? Also... do you really need Internet even while you're not? I mean surely you're in Europe to enjoy it and not surf the web? :D
The internet is not to surf for fun, but is for google map, train schedules etc.

Anyway, I appreciate the advice, but I don’t understand it. This thread is about “Wifi Travel Box for Travel” and it’s not about “do I really need internet while travelling in Europe?” Grinning Face. Every person has different ways to solve problems, including when travelling. Some people don’t need internet and are willing to search nearby wifi while travelling, and I will say good for them. Some need internet while travelling, including myself and hence there are many companies selling this product/service.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
GBUalways wrote: The internet is not to surf for fun, but is for google map, train schedules etc.

Anyway, I appreciate the advice, but I don’t understand it. This thread is about “Wifi Travel Box for Travel” and it’s not about “do I really need internet while travelling in Europe?” Grinning Face. Every person has different ways to solve problems, including when travelling. Some people don’t need internet and are willing to search nearby wifi while travelling, and I will say good for them. Some need internet while travelling, including myself and hence there are many companies selling this product/service.
No, I should have been more clear, I'm surprised OP needs 5GB per day of mobile Internet for checking Google Maps and Train schedules.
Last edited by coolspot on Feb 13th, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2017
657 posts
446 upvotes
coolspot wrote: No, I'm surprised OP needs 5GB per day of mobile Internet for checking Google Maps and Train schedules.
Yeah, I'm surprised as well and OP also wanted to rent 3x travel boxes :). 5GB data plan for couple weeks is sufficient for me.
May 11, 2017
66 posts
12 upvotes
I would double check tethering on Three...we were in Ireland, France, Germany and Austria this summer and tethered often...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)