Computers & Electronics

Will chip shortage create laptop shortage for start of school?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2021 7:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1660 posts
726 upvotes
London

Will chip shortage create laptop shortage for start of school?

Forgive me for being naïve about the chip situation. I do know that some items have been unable to be manufactured because of a global chip shortage (graphics cards, some cars etc.). I don't know the kinds of chips etc.

My question is regarding the upcoming school year. My daughter and thousands of others will be starting post secondary education in a few months. They will also be looking for a new laptop. Is this something that we should buy now (before stock runs out) or does this shortage not affect laptops? Specifically, we are looking at the Macbook Air.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3944 posts
1115 upvotes
If its the Macbook air you're aiming for, get it now. Since it was just renewed in Nov 2020, so there wont be a new version at least till end of the year, and since its a Mac.. they rarely go on sale mid cycle. So no point in waiting.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2504 posts
1443 upvotes
SW ON
If it affects cars and other non-obvious items I don't see how it cannot affect laptops. And the shortage is already here.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12372 posts
3532 upvotes
Stock is not gonna run out... :facepalm:
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1660 posts
726 upvotes
London
coilz wrote: If its the Macbook air you're aiming for, get it now. Since it was just renewed in Nov 2020, so there wont be a new version at least till end of the year, and since its a Mac.. they rarely go on sale mid cycle. So no point in waiting.
Ahhh, thanks for the information. I know she gets a bit of a deal (1169) from the education store on the Apple site. I'll get her to decide pronto!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1660 posts
726 upvotes
London
I think we'll pass on the AppleCare though since it is 21% (249/1169) of cost of the Mbair.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12372 posts
3532 upvotes
The only shortage we are really seeing as a consumer are GPUs and that is for a obvious reason.

The laptop you are looking at doesn't use any dedicated GPU.

Also, pretty sure Apple have already accounting for the "shortage" and B2S sales...
Drakestar wrote: How can you be sure? It's already tough to get some graphics cards.

Very first google search seems to think otherwise.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/laptop-p ... robert-ek/
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1660 posts
726 upvotes
London
sexyj wrote: The only shortage we are really seeing as a consumer are GPUs and that is for a obvious reason.

Also, pretty sure Apple have already accounting for the "shortage" and B2S sales...
That's interesting to know. Thanks for explaining :)
Apr 30, 2021
29 posts
24 upvotes
Wait to see what kind of back to school promotions Apple will offer this year. In the past, they have offered Beats headphones and last year was the Air Pods (with the option to buy the Pro model for ~$150, I think?).
Drakestar wrote: Forgive me for being naïve about the chip situation. I do know that some items have been unable to be manufactured because of a global chip shortage (graphics cards, some cars etc.). I don't know the kinds of chips etc.

My question is regarding the upcoming school year. My daughter and thousands of others will be starting post secondary education in a few months. They will also be looking for a new laptop. Is this something that we should buy now (before stock runs out) or does this shortage not affect laptops? Specifically, we are looking at the Macbook Air.
Oct 19, 2008
202 posts
190 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
sexyj wrote: The only shortage we are really seeing as a consumer are GPUs and that is for a obvious reason.

Not totaly correct. There are shortages on screens (some use plastics that are also used in vaccine vials etc.) There are also a processor shortages. Most major manufacturers (Dell, Lenovo etc) are seeing exponential increases in lead times. This is being compounded by huge logicistical issues shipping both component's and finished goods. Last time I was talking to Dell they had ETAs for some large customer orders that were 12+ weeks when they used to be 2 weeks.

Not laptops, but I was trying to sort out a customer situation a couple of weeks ago with some Cisco network gear that had a ship ETA over 120 days and those don't have a GPU or a screen. Component shipping logistics and silicone shortages have the supply chain deeply in trouble.

To the OP if you want a specific model and not just settle for what is available at the time, I would buy now. I doubt the deals will get better and selection won't. In fact most manufacturers are increasing prices right now. I've been in business to business IT sales for over 20 years, mostly with manufacturers. I can't remember seeing anything exactly like this before.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1660 posts
726 upvotes
London
Redshft wrote: Not totaly correct. There are shortages on screens (some use plastics that are also used in vaccine vials etc.) There are also a processor shortages. Most major manufacturers (Dell, Lenovo etc) are seeing exponential increases in lead times. This is being compounded by huge logicistical issues shipping both component's and finished goods. Last time I was talking to Dell they had ETAs for some large customer orders that were 12+ weeks when they used to be 2 weeks.

Not laptops, but I was trying to sort out a customer situation a couple of weeks ago with some Cisco network gear that had a ship ETA over 120 days and those don't have a GPU or a screen. Component shipping logistics and silicone shortages have the supply chain deeply in trouble.

To the OP if you want a specific model and not just settle for what is available at the time, I would buy now. I doubt the deals will get better and selection won't. In fact most manufacturers are increasing prices right now. I've been in business to business IT sales for over 20 years, mostly with manufacturers. I can't remember seeing anything exactly like this before.
Thanks for the detailed and informative reply!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3941 posts
4149 upvotes
GTA
Redshft wrote: Not totaly correct. There are shortages on screens (some use plastics that are also used in vaccine vials etc.) There are also a processor shortages. Most major manufacturers (Dell, Lenovo etc) are seeing exponential increases in lead times. This is being compounded by huge logicistical issues shipping both component's and finished goods. Last time I was talking to Dell they had ETAs for some large customer orders that were 12+ weeks when they used to be 2 weeks.

Exactly. There are shortages, plus manufacturing and delivery issues. Lots of products are in flux, not just GPU's.

Gaming console makers are not able to produce as many as they would like, wood is in demand and prices are 3x what they regularly would be, even cars are affected because some components needed to deliver the vehicle (such as the entertainment system) are holding completion back.

What is available today isn't guaranteed to be there tomorrow. And neither is the price you're seeing today.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5856 posts
2393 upvotes
Debtario
If you are set on the macbook you might as well buy now/soon, the prices generally do not fluctuate much and discounts are often weak - don't expect to see a lava hot deal on a macbook.

Machines from the last few years have more than enough power to run just about anything reasonably fast, exception being highly specialized tasks and anything requiring a decent GPU. Between now and the school year there won't be any earth-shattering performance gains, nor will older hardware go on firesale. The shipping delays are quite real, so unless you are picking up in store, expect a lengthy delay of at least a month before you see anything show up at your door.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Jun 9, 2021
60 posts
20 upvotes
Sales and promotions highly unlikely. In fact, everyone is starting to realize this situation could extend quite a while and wants to get a slice of the price gouging pie.

A Mac Air seems vastly underpowered for any "real" work scenarios so it wouldn't hurt to look at how long you plan to use that purchase and also the list of courses to be taken over that time period and any specific software to be used in those courses.

If the device will be needed to view and edit data of any complexity even if the processing is light duty, a larger screen size should be considered.
[Anyone know where I can buy a 8g NVIDIA card? Preferably 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070 Ti, but used 1080 OK]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1660 posts
726 upvotes
London
I'm buying now. Looks like the student incentives launched today. Free airpods (or you can upgrade for a fee). Thanks for the advice everyone.