Automotive

Will Engine Warranty be voided by Private Mechanic Service?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2015 2:19 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1089 posts
363 upvotes

Will Engine Warranty be voided by Private Mechanic Service?

Hello,

I received a letter in the mail from Honda Canada informing me that my CRV engine warranty has been extended due to this announcement.

Since my regular 5 year warranty has just expired, I was all set to start using a local private mechanic for all my servicing. If I go ahead and do this, would the warranty extension be voided? The local mechanic is all cash based and does not give receipts. A couple years from now if I start having engine trouble, can Honda Canada refuse to do anything since I stopped servicing from them?

Thanks for any info
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38189 posts
24375 upvotes
Center of Universe
hank755 wrote: Hello,

I received a letter in the mail from Honda Canada informing me that my CRV engine warranty has been extended due to this announcement.

Since my regular 5 year warranty has just expired, I was all set to start using a local private mechanic for all my servicing. If I go ahead and do this, would the warranty extension be voided? The local mechanic is all cash based and does not give receipts. A couple years from now if I start having engine trouble, can Honda Canada refuse to do anything since I stopped servicing from them?

Thanks for any info
How can you prove "proper" work was done on your car without a receipt?
Car manufacturers don't really care where maintenance and repair is being performed, as long as there are records.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5887 posts
5057 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Using a private mechanic will not void your warranty.

Not having receipts to prove that work was done will be a problem.
Mar 5, 2009
295 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
Typical RFD, supporting tax fraud just to save a dollar or two.

The least you could do is purchase the part yourself, at least you'll have proof that you did perform the required maintenance, this goes for all things, oil\filters and anything that needs servicing required by the scheduled maintenance plan, which you better stick to it like white on rice.